Inflation .... whats your thoughts on todays Markets?

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Our part time cant keep people at all. They come in, work three days, and walk off at break on the third day. Maybe its something to do with having to show trying to find work?
Heck, we continue to try to find drivers, but nobody wants to work. Had one young woman text my boss, "I quit" one morning about 15 minutes before her shift. Yeah, its not easy work, but damn.....these people are wasting our time and effort to train them in the first place.
I just dont see how this many people can live without jobs. You have to have an income of some kind.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Our part time cant keep people at all. They come in, work three days, and walk off at break on the third day. Maybe its something to do with having to show trying to find work?
Heck, we continue to try to find drivers, but nobody wants to work. Had one young woman text my boss, "I quit" one morning about 15 minutes before her shift. Yeah, its not easy work, but damn.....these people are wasting our time and effort to train them in the first place.
I just dont see how this many people can live without jobs. You have to have an income of some kind.
i had a close friend start with UPS back in october. he worked for Discount Tire for 20 years and was barely making over 20 bucks an hour working the front as an "assistant manager". He asked his manager about giving him a raise and was pretty much laughed at because "corporate wont do it". now mind you, this guys is a SUPER hard worker, extremely good with customers, and has been in a commercial for discount. He had enough and looked at UPS through a friends dad that just retired from there. I told him id give him a part time job at my place to get him by climbing the ladder there till he got a truck. He was told he had to work in teh part time warehouse area till a truck was availible, told im it could be 3-6 months for that. He went in and at the 3 week mark, asked his boss about applying for driving. She told him "na, all the slots are full". Well, he went to HR about getting pay stuff figured out and he dropped about wanting to be a driver, guy says "oh there is two slots open, go down here and put your name down". Buddy was like "what do you mean, my boss said there were no openings?!" he says "yeah well... you're a hard worker, i highly doubt she wanted to give you up". he got all pissed but i laughed when he told me. I said "well she aint wrong, i dont want your ass to leave either but i wont pull that kind of shit".

Anyhow, part time was 18 an hour and the moment he got on the truck it was 28 an hour, completely blew discount out of the water pay wise and work wise. he absolutely loves the job and im super happy for him.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
the employees we have hired prior to this whole mess are still with us. the ones we hired in the past year or so are pretty worthless. we've gone through probably a half dozen over a year. most just get up and quit. so.e didn't even last a month. some that lasted longer called out so much it was like they weren't even there

hopefully this new batch will be worth something and will last.

the only good thing about all of it is at least we are getting more people applying then during the pandemic. we where so under staffed but no one wanted to work. only recently did that start to change. I'm wondering it their stimulus money and unemployment is running out so they are forced to look for work

This is the entire problem. I love our country but god damn do we have some people who feel they're entitled to absolutely everything. I get people fall on hard times but it really isn't that hard to find a job these days. People would rather sit on their ass at their house than actually work for something. This problem is two fold, the people are useless and our government allows it with their unemployment regulations/requirements.

I was always taught that I have to work for what I want. Don't have enough money to buy that shiny new pickup? Work some overtime/work harder to achieve it. I don't expect our entire population to be that way but gosh it would be nice if people weren't out to abuse every system we have just to be a lazy good for nothing individual.

End of rant...........

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Yep, that sounds like my employer. Mgrs tell them one thing, another happens. That still doesnt excuse the "work three days then quit midday" deal, or quitting by text.

I will be glad when I finally do retire......

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Yep, that sounds like my employer. Mgrs tell them one thing, another happens. That still doesnt excuse the "work three days then quit midday" deal, or quitting by text.

just don't do it via text 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: dndj

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az

oh definitely agree, it aint an excuse. How much longer you got?

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
oh definitely agree, it aint an excuse. How much longer you got?
5ish years. That'll give me 42 total, 30 on my current route.

Original plan was to retire this year, but we all know how "best laid plans" work out.....

I came from a generation that believed in working hard and earning your way. I know I'll sound like an old man, but these last couple generations just don't have that same work ethic.

BTW, I remember the 70s and 80s inflation. This is looking to result in the same thing, but the causes are much different. This time around it feels "artificially made", if you get my meaning.

Last edited:

darkness

Jul 15, 2009
vegas
We are going thru the same thing where I work. Hire people left and right and never see them again after days, weeks or months. It’s come to the point we don’t even bother getting to know their names until they’ve made their 90 days. Some people wait till they get vacation time (1 year) 🤣. The problem is that the people who actually want to work already have jobs.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Some of it is caused by upper management such as James indicated with his friend and Discount...

My Previous employer Did the same thing to me. Not only can they not find find people to fill the open positions but A lot of people are leaving to fill positions that pay more. They also cant get people that will show up on time or do more than 1 task.

I didn't even go looking for a new job. I don't participate in Fake book and I am not on any of the job recruiting sites with an active profile.

I was approached 1 year prior and offered a position for not much more than what I was making. The difference would have been about 5k a year.

I was at the 10 year mark with the current company i was working for and I let them know I was being recruited with competitive benefit's starting. I asked if they could increase my pay to help with the cost of fuel and food. I was told sorry, all we can do is the standard 3%. Which works out to about 0.50 and hour... But He said let us know if things changes we would like to keep you....

This year rolled around and the same person called me saying they had to let the other guy go and they were really looking to fill the position. Name my price...

I wasn't being greedy but I swung for the fences... They said they were going to set everything up at 1 penny under what I said. Why the penny, I have no Idea. Maybe a tax bracket thing... after some colorful words and telling him to go out to his truck to get the other penny. He fixed the paper work and sent it right over within 15 minutes... He also Said they would match my current Holiday vacation time from the other company with out me even asking.

Would the penny have made a difference. No.... But just like every other company trying to find people, they have had the same issues. This is a remote position so they need to be able to trust and rely on whom ever they hire.

The position Also came with a Company Vehicle And Gas paid for.

The hardest part was letting my Supervisor know I was leaving. We were the last 2 people that worked on that product line and he started before me. Although he lived in another state, we were like best friends. He already knew the company would not match it but they asked him to talk to me any way. He already knew my position as I told him. He knew what I was making and we had talked about the cost of living several times. I told him I could buy a Small Car with the difference in pay alone. If they can't counter that their was no point in discussing it. I have been loyal and bent over backwards for this company. I have never asked for anything before and when I finally do they tell me their is nothing they can do to help me.

It's funny how some companies can not find any one and they are willing to pay some one off the street more than what they pay a current employee knowing they need to invest time and money training them yet they don't value current employees that go above and beyond.
Prime Example. We had an older employee at that company that informed them he would be retiring in the next 2 years. Yes, He let management know 2 years ahead of time... they waited till about 8 months before to seriously start looking... They tried to hire 3 different people that met the qualifications and pasted the in person interview. 1 Person completely disappeared and stop responding. The second had his wife call back an claim he was in a car accident. The 3rd person wouldnt respond so they had the recruiter call. He sent a follow up email with a cease and desist do not contact. All 3 were flown out to our office for the in person interview at the companies expense. The Vice president of service picks some one and they try and fast track the hiring process... Guy Doesn't even show up for the first day. Claims he got the start day mixed up. When he does show up, goes through the paper work and orientation stuff and then just disappears. Apparently they sent him for a drug test which he was told about prior to this. Likely he couldn't pass it and just bailed.

Finally they hire some one to fill the position. He make's it through everything and is fine for a few months. The other guy is able to retire and does so on a Friday. The Very Next Day, Saturday Morning by 10AM with out any warning signs the guy sends a long email about his PTSD from the service and how he is going through therapy and his doctor and wife don't feel the job is a good fit for him with everything he is going through so he needs to resign his position... Come to find out he was making about $5 more then the person he was replacing....

Funny how they can trip over dollars to pick up pennies. I couldn't even get $1 an Hr from them but they spend thousands on flights and training of new people that don't even last. When I put in my notice they did an Exit interview. I told HR they should place more Value on current Employee's and look at current management structure as to why they can't hire or retain people. Everything changed when the New VP of service took over.

Sorry for being so long winded.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I have a somewhat similar experience. asking for a raise gets me a max of 30 cents or management can't do that right now, or I've tried and it's not going to happen, etc

but all the new hires with little to no experience are getting hired at the same rate because they are having a hard time filling positions so they are raising the hiring wages but won't raise it for the existing employees. other facilities in my area are posting the same job as mine with a $1-3 higher starting pay but ours can't even match the competition so we don't loose good people. the reason I'm still here is my manager is great and does everything she can to make things better for use. it's just our upper management that is so out of touch

Dean E

Mar 30, 2022
Blair, NE
The only real cure for inflation is raising loan interest rates. The Fed is doing that and I don't see that changing for some time. This is more of an example of the inflation and high mortgage rates from back in the Carter years. Home loans got up to 19% before inflation started to come back down. I will agree with many here, now is not the time to make large purchases, especially homes. That bubble looks like it will be bursting soon! Hell we purchased our house back in May of 2020 and the estimated value has climbed more that $120,000 since then! It's just crazy. I started out in the late 1980s getting my career going and back then you had to know someone to get your foot in the door. Today there are help wanted signs everywhere with sign on bonuses and good benefits but it is hard to get kids these days to take advantage of that. Hell, just going out and getting your CDL can get you some good money to get started and all the trucking companies are desperate to get more drivers. Dean

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
It's really sad how upper management acts like and treats everyone like they are disposable yet they are willing to pay people off the street more money with little to no experience knowing that they will spend additional money on training and such.

In My Case I didn't want to leave, but It's getting tough to pay bills. When some one calls or comes knocking on your door and is offering you say a $10 an hour raise plus providing transportation and paying fuel and matching your other benefits there really isn't a choice... I was already spending $400-$500 on fuel a month. Not to mention I was cut from 40 hours to 35 hours a week even though Service continued to make money during the pandemic when they couldn't even get into to shops to sell new equipment. Our company still made more money than the previous year during the pandemic and that was mostly from service work.

When the Pandemic first hit everyone was scared. They Let 10 people go to try and save money. 1 of those people was my Senior Manager.
32 years with the company in the middle of his 2nd go around with Cancer. I can't remember if it was prostate or something else like colon . Either way not a pleasant time.

Didn't even offer a severance to leave early or anything. Just a your fired...

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
it also depends on the circumstance that the person was let go. if they where fired for bad performance, or violation of policy, etc or left on their own then they are often not eligible. but if they where layed off due to reasons not of their own doing then they can receive unemployment or severance payment

gassux

Mar 14, 2010
if you think it's bad go to the hospital or a nursing home. 1 physical therapist for an entire ICU floor, and this is metro NYC. This country is failing rapidly. Basic services are holding on by a thread.

Yngdmax92

Sep 26, 2013
good points fellas! I see examples of what all of you guys are sayin in the industry across the board, my fiancé is getting hammered at work. She is a p.a and they are so short staffed for nurses and mid levels that she doesnt know how much longer she can keep doing her job as being the lead p.a in the emergency room.... let alone the poor girl suffered like you wouldnt believe working through covid.

I am starting to see interest rates effecting people, but somehow everyone is still wide open throttle right now and still proceeding to buy/build houses around here. There is not enough contractors to keep up with the demand of houses. One of my friends runs a pretty successful home builders business and he's booked out till 2024! Things are insane, and i feel that the stock market is still holding on by a thread as we speak. Time will tell i guess.