Race Truck Switch Panel Questions

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
So this is my first time building anything drag related/stripped down. My question comes down to wiring. I'm looking at adding a switch panel to the drag truck build and want to wire it the smartest way possible. I've been looking at an ARC 12 button panel that is equipped with 40A relays or the Leash version that has some things kind of "made simpler" on the turn signal and head light side. I am currently planning on keeping the OEM fuse box underhood and as much of the OEM wiring as possible to try and "speed up" the wiring process.

So far I have the below list of added electrical devices. What I'm curious on is if there is a benefit to running the aux cooling fans (trans, eng oil, fuel) on separate circuits or if it would be a better choice to run those all off of one circuit? The head lights/wipers have to controlled elsewhere due to running the motion raceworks steering column (I have thought about keeping the OEM turn signal stalk but I don't know how much of a pain that will be). I will be using a generic key to handle ignition to make it "harder" to steal.

1) Start (momentary)
2) Master kill to all other items on the panel
3) Fuel pumps (1 & 2)
4) Radiator fans
5) Engine oil cooler fan
6) Trans oil cooler fan
7) Fuel cooler fan
8) Nitrous power/arm
9) Low beam on
10) High beam on
11) Wiper on

Last edited:

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I'd put the radiator fans on their own fuse as they typically draw a lot of current. if anything else is on that circuit and has a short the larger fuse needed may not protect it. trans, fuel and oil cooler are usually small enough you can combine them if needed but if it was mine I'd still keep them separate

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I'd put the radiator fans on their own fuse as they typically draw a lot of current. if anything else is on that circuit and has a short the larger fuse needed may not protect it. trans, fuel and oil cooler are usually small enough you can combine them if needed but if it was mine I'd still keep them separate
Yeah, the rad fans would be on their own circuit. I am only thinking on combining the engine oil, trans oil, and fuel cooler fans on one circuit. If my math is correct they're all at or under 10A each continuous so that shouldn't be too bad.

As of now I'm planning on using the flexalite controller to handle the radiator cooling fan operation.