coolant in the oil....

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
They were pretty much even across both sides within a couple of thousandths. I'm curious where are they failing?
They either blow the fire ring out or crack between the coolant jacket and cylinder. every single one. more clamping force isnt the fix.

danzick

playing with fire
Feb 20, 2014
Livingston, MT
My guess is poor construction/quality. I've done quite a few LML HG jobs whereas the riveted 06-10 gaskets I've seen far less failures from. We haven't done thousands of HG jobs by any means, just what I've seen roll through as well as what kits I've sent out to customers overall.
I mean what exactly fails? Like coolant in oil? Pressured coolant system? External leak?

danzick

playing with fire
Feb 20, 2014
Livingston, MT
They either blow the fire ring out or crack between the coolant jacket and cylinder. every single one. more clamping force isnt the fix.
Gotcha. Well I appreciate the concern from you guys, but I'm tired of this project. The motor is already together and ready to go in. If I have to pull the heads in a years it's my own damn fault, but I don't think I can handle tearing it down to the block again on both sides right now.

Reactions: Dozerboy

danzick

playing with fire
Feb 20, 2014
Livingston, MT
so the truck is up and running, but im getting a knock under acceleration. I'm thinking its maybe a fuel knock? the best way for me to describe it, is it sounds like when you start an lb7 when its 0 degrees out and lay into the throttle a bit without letting it warm up. I have newly installed 45% injector nozzles. My balance rates are max 1 and lowest was .02. I had PPEI redo the tunes for the injectors, and it making this sound, so I tried a stock ECM I had and same thing. it seems to clear up once the turbo lights. WOT run after about 2k sounds normal. Idle sounds normal.

danzick

playing with fire
Feb 20, 2014
Livingston, MT
can't really hear knocking per se. how does it sound reving it in neutral hood open?
it sounds normal when you idle it, and high idle it, but if you stab the pedal to free rev it in park it seems to knock just slightly. Another member told me the SAC style injectors run a little noisier than the factory lb7 style. I'm wondering if im over reacting and thats what I'm hearing? for an example, my wife, who doesn't really know much about motors says it just sounds like a diesel to her. I just know it didnt used to sound like this.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
balance rates cold are meaningless. always check with engine up to temp

and yes, SAC injectors can be a little louder

danzick

playing with fire
Feb 20, 2014
Livingston, MT
Ah ok. Well I don't want to take a chance with this brand new engine, so I'll park it until Kory has a chance to check the log over. Sure felt good hearing those turbos spool again after 8 months!

08lmm72mm

May 13, 2019
Saskatchewan, Canada
so I rechecked my balance rates cold. my number 3 injector is at +8.6 cold. that cant be good. main injection is 10mm3.
Im no expert but looks to me like you have an issue with that injector, and that would explain the sound you are getting. Either injector issue or injector wiring harness issue.

Aug 3, 2013
Arizona
here it is running with no coolant. I decided to put new oil in and run it through to displace some of the coolant. seems to run smoothly. no white smoke that I have noticed. It has not ran since yesterday. I plan to do a comp. check on the passenger side since im pretty sure thats where my problem is.

I know this was posted while back, but your truck sounds bloody smooth in this video.