PCV HOSE Size/ Pressure

ZC-DMAX-LMM

Aug 21, 2019
With -8an pcv fittings does it need to increase to a 5/8” hose from the fitting or will a -8 an to 1/2” barbs be enough? Assuming there will not be any pressure, also contemplating removing the pcv valve/diaphragm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
With -8an pcv fittings does it need to increase to a 5/8” hose from the fitting or will a -8 an to 1/2” barbs be enough? Assuming there will not be any pressure, also contemplating removing the pcv valve/diaphragm.

you will have pressure. opening up the hose right after the fitting is a good idea, helps promote flow. are you going to be feeding it back into the intake or leaving to open air? attempting a venturi tube? vac pump?

ZC-DMAX-LMM

Aug 21, 2019
you will have pressure. opening up the hose right after the fitting is a good idea, helps promote flow. are you going to be feeding it back into the intake or leaving to open air? attempting a venturi tube? vac pump?

I switched from hose barb to -an pcv fittings. Previously vented to atmosphere, considering running to downpipe with another fitting or back to atmosphere

ZC-DMAX-LMM

Aug 21, 2019

What pressure does a stock internals motor usually produce?
I’m finding -1.5 kpa to +4 kpa. So any hose can handle the pressure? Not even a 1 psi tolerance.

Last edited:

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
It's not so much the pressure on the hose that I would be worried about as much as the restriction a smaller hose causes increasing pressure in the crankcase.

Reactions: juddski88

ZC-DMAX-LMM

Aug 21, 2019
It's not so much the pressure on the hose that I would be worried about as much as the restriction a smaller hose causes increasing pressure in the crankcase.

To make sure I understand, if the spring and diaphragm are removed. There isn’t a way for pressure to be built up in the crankcase from any resistance in the open system. The 1/2” hose maintains the 1/2” opening from the fitting. 1/2 to 5/8 hose difference wouldn’t change any real cfm difference in a less than 1 psi system. Haven’t seen many numbers on this, general consensus is just, bigger is better.

Hope someone with better information can help me make some sense of it.

moparkxracer

Jun 25, 2010
Out and about
You’ll still have pressure in the system, even with the valves removed. As RPM climb so will the pressure. 1/2 inch hoses wouldn’t be able to keep up with the flow. Prob end up with front or rear main seal leaks.

ZC-DMAX-LMM

Aug 21, 2019
You’ll still have pressure in the system, even with the valves removed. As RPM climb so will the pressure. 1/2 inch hoses wouldn’t be able to keep up with the flow. Prob end up with front or rear main seal leaks.

What does the pressure increase to that it wouldnt be handled? Still would have the limiting factor of the 1/2” port, correct?

moparkxracer

Jun 25, 2010
Out and about
What does the pressure increase to that it wouldnt be handled? Still would have the limiting factor of the 1/2” port, correct?

the stock setup is pulling a vac on the system. I’ve plumbed it back into the exhaust after the muffler to be able to pull a vac in the crank case. As far as what pressure it would increase to, there are too many variables to be abt to give a number on what it would be.. ring gap, fueling, compression ratio etc.

Reactions: ZC-DMAX-LMM

ZC-DMAX-LMM

Aug 21, 2019
the stock setup is pulling a vac on the system. I’ve plumbed it back into the exhaust after the muffler to be able to pull a vac in the crank case. As far as what pressure it would increase to, there are too many variables to be abt to give a number on what it would be.. ring gap, fueling, compression ratio etc.

I like the idea of running it to a Venturi on my downpipe instead of back to atmosphere.

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.

This is not true for every engine. My race engine, with 20w-50, forged pistons and loose tolerances and probably less than ideal Ra cylinder wall finish, I vented to atmosphere and it only smoked a bit when cold. At temp during full throttle runs, it did not show any signs of excessive flow or pressure.