Squeal on acceleration

DAKOTAKIDD

Sep 26, 2014
I have an appointment on the 16th. There isn’t much soot there but some. Also it looks like the up-pipe isn’t installed square to the manifold. The upper part is tight and the lower part has a gap. I’ll try and snap a pic tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DAKOTAKIDD

Sep 26, 2014
It wasn’t blocked. It was deleted and new up pipe put on.

Thx though!!

DAKOTAKIDD

Sep 26, 2014
Here is a couple pics. Not the best quality. To me it looks like the up pipe is not mounted square. Hard to tell from the pic.

129ae9c7aa731e331ae5a1138d80f04c.jpg

NevadaLLY

Adam B
Feb 24, 2019
Reno, NV
294f246d7dc6c7bf46953b6e06b38e8c.jpg

I agree with the folks prior. I just went through this and I had identical leaks on both manifold to up pipes on brand new gaskets. Luckily, the truck was having tuning problems so it was smoking like crazy and I spotted the leaks quickly. They were leaking on the flange toward the block on both sides. If you don’t monitor drive pressure, it’s a hard thing to find if you don’t have much soot. Here’s what you might be looking for on those gaskets if you take them apart..

NevadaLLY

Adam B
Feb 24, 2019
Reno, NV
I agree with the folks prior. I just went through this and I had identical leaks on both manifold to up pipes on brand new gaskets. Luckily, the truck was having tuning problems so it was smoking like crazy and I spotted the leaks quickly. They were leaking on the flange toward the block on both sides. If you don’t monitor drive pressure, it’s a hard thing to find if you don’t have much soot. Here’s what you might be looking for on those gaskets if you take them apart..
4F6CE731-E7DE-41C0-A307-80F81D6E3F7B.jpeg

DAKOTAKIDD

Sep 26, 2014
Those last 2 pics… that’s shadows. I think the leak is between the up-pipe and the exhaust manifold. They don’t look to be bolted up square

Nate’s Dmax

Dec 11, 2020
Everything looks fine in them pics besides the loose manifold bolt. That gap your seeing by up-pipe to manifold is normal. Mine looked the same way.

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
I had a squeal on my LB7 when I put it back together after head gaskets. Never could find it at all. It ended up being my intake runner wasn’t fully seated and boost was making it squeal. Rig you up a boost tester with a PVC cap and an air hose valve fitting to plug a compressor into and put it just after your turbo in the IC pipe. Then pressurize it a bit and listed for the air escaping

DAKOTAKIDD

Sep 26, 2014
Thx. The shop tested for air leaks but would they have tested this during the same test?

DAKOTAKIDD

Sep 26, 2014
It was the drivers side up pipe near the turbo that was blowing exhaust soot out near the flange. (Cracked) During removal of the up pipe , the bolts to the turbo snapped off and the shop couldn’t get them out so the turbo had to come out to extract them. I decided on putting a new turbo in since it was out because I don’t want to have to pay twice in case the original turbo shit the bed in a year or something.

Thanks for all your help

Cheers.

Reactions: NevadaLLY

DAKOTAKIDD

Sep 26, 2014
Well on the first road trip towing a load back comes the squealing. Started off as a little squeak and then got worse than ever.

I’m not sure how to attach a video through my phone on Tapatalk but I got it.

Back to the shop it goes

NevadaLLY

Adam B
Feb 24, 2019
Reno, NV
Well on the first road trip towing a load back comes the squealing. Started off as a little squeak and then got worse than ever.

I’m not sure how to attach a video through my phone on Tapatalk but I got it.

Back to the shop it goes

Usually need to go back in after a few heat cycles to make sure no bolts backed out. Sounds like the cause here.

DAKOTAKIDD

Sep 26, 2014
It most definitely was. One bolt was backed out on the passenger up pipe and imho the others were loose. Drivers side seemed tight. I could only access the upper 3. It goes back in the shop for up pipe gasket change and new bolts on the 21st. I’m hoping this is the last time. Lol

DAKOTAKIDD

Sep 26, 2014
Ok. Thx. I’ll pass that along. Both up pipes are new, drivers manifold is new and turbo is new. Maybe a little resurfacing needed on the passenger manifold