Squeal on acceleration

DAKOTAKIDD

Sep 26, 2014
Hey guys. Recently I had the head gaskets done and egr delete with new pipes and no block plates. When I first got the truck back, there was no noise. Then after a good hill climb with a good load it now squeals when I accelerate. I had it back to the shop and they can’t find it yet. It only happens generally at low boost situation and it’s not as noticeable in higher boost situations.

The shop thinks it the turbo but I am wondering what else i could check before I buy the turbo.

Any ideas are appreciated

Truck is a 2005 LLY CCSB

Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DAKOTAKIDD

Sep 26, 2014
They said they looked and everything was good. Told me it was the turbo. The vanes are sticking.

DAKOTAKIDD

Sep 26, 2014
Sorry for the stupid question but what’s a drive pressure leak? Never heard of it before.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Sorry for the stupid question but what’s a drive pressure leak? Never heard of it before.
A leak in the exhaust before the turbo. Uppipes or manifolds. Its called "drive pressure" because thats what is driving the turbo.
I also think its an uppipe gasket leak.

DAKOTAKIDD

Sep 26, 2014
The shop pressure tested the intercooler for leaks and she is tight.

I’m not sure what’s going on here yet.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Doubt it’s turbo. As stated, most likely a drivepressure leak. The shop should pop the up pipes off and look at the gaskets for soot tracing (leaks will have soot all over the gasket). Depending on the gaskets they used, I wouldn’t be surprised if brand new gaskets were leaking

Reactions: NevadaLLY

DAKOTAKIDD

Sep 26, 2014
Is there a better gasket or something that should be there instead of the gaskets they used ??

Pure Diesel

Apr 22, 2008
Ventura County
Did you supply the parts or did they? If they did and this has a warranty, I would put it all on them. If you supplied the parts and they only supplied the labor you have to find out whether they installed it correctly or it's the product.

DAKOTAKIDD

Sep 26, 2014
They supplied all the parts. They said they wanted it to get worse so they could find it. Right now they can’t find anything. I’m gonna look myself first for a blown or incorrectly installed up pipe gasket. I do believe they are meant to be installed a certain way. Is that right?

DAKOTAKIDD

Sep 26, 2014
Had a quick look tonight and the driver manifold most aft bolt/nut is not right against the manifold and I believe the black is exhaust soot. What your thoughts.

e2ebe278ac434fc9d381e6c011c94d34.jpg

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Maybe I’m blind, but I don’t see any signs of soot in that picture. What I do see is incorrect up pipe bolts. They should have a 12mm 12 point head, and those are clearly 6 point bolts.

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
You can't get the 12pt bolts from dealer anymore. They only sell the 6pt like the newer lmls have. You know the ones that come prestripped......

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
You can't get the 12pt bolts from dealer anymore. They only sell the 6pt like the newer lmls have. You know the ones that come prestripped......
Yeah, but those bolts sure don't look new to me.