Hot Shot Secret vs Optilube

KRATOCT

Aug 22, 2011
I’ve burned through my gallon of Optilube XPD. I bought that based on good reviews here. I use additive in every tank due to having an LML still running the CP4. I do have the fuel system saver installed and a FASS lift pump but still like the added piece of mind of a good additive. Both the XPD and the Hot Shot products are recommended from what I’ve seen but I haven’t seen anything comparing them. I’m specifically talking about the LX4 or Everyday Diesel Treatment as far as Hot Shot products go. Which one is preferred?

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Moved to Fluids and Maintenance. Ive never used either of those. Never felt the need to.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
I've ran Hotshots products with good luck, and it's a fairly local company. You'll get opinions one way or the other on various fuel lubes, but other than "I ran it and nothing blew up" you'll be hard pressed to find concrete evidence if something is better than another

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Ive only ever done FPRs in-truck. Only time Ive ever had the CP3 out was when I rebuilt the engine on a stand.

lutzjk913

May 5, 2010
groveport, ohio
I run hot shot secrets oil and fuel additive in both trucks. Have been for over 2 years. The fuel additive I noticed a increase in fuel mileage, engine runs better and less soot output. I was also running another brand of fuel additive before.

like Jesse said they are a local company to us also.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
I shop local, if there was a local business near me that produced an additive I'd drive across town to get it. I'm a live, shop and keep it in the community kind of guy.

Mikey52

Sep 20, 2018
Back about 12 years ago when the optilube vs most other additives were tested against each other. Power Service came in worse for wear than the plain low sulphur diesel we had at the time.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I've had the best luck with Hot Shots, Optilube, and Exergy additives. I use whatever we have on the shelf which as of late has been Hot Shots EDT. I'd love to believe Exergy and that their additive provides the highest lubricity but that's based purely on their own test data (they won't name the other test additives as they don't want to fight every maker they claim).

Nate’s Dmax

Dec 11, 2020
Ive had best results with OptiLube so far but haven’t tried hot shot or Exergy. Local shop stocks the OptiLube to that’s what i use.

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
Optilube Summer at every fillup. An added douching of winter when required. Original injectors are still happy as a clam. Honed them 40 over at around 90K 5 years ago and still happy. CP3 was strong until I decided to upgrade to match my air :) . I went by the old Dieselplace study and picked what I thought was a good balance of $ v. reward.

albinorhino

Jan 13, 2023
When I learned about the CP4 issues, I took steps to mitigate it. We use our truck to haul our home (a truck camper) around the country, so reliability is a must. We installed a lift pump, and began using Opti-Lube (at 90,000 mi) after a lot of research. A big selling point for me, was that it was tested by an outside lab, paid for by forum users on another site. The results were posted in detail, and other additives' results were also shown. My personal experience has been a quieter running engine, faster starts, and about 2mpg improvement, (in addition to the 3mpg improvement from the lift pump/fuel filters). I'm having a CP3 conversion done, along with my head gaskets this month, (122,000 miles for those interested). I'll probably continue using Opti-Lube to protect all the new parts being installed on the truck while it's torn down. An extra $6 or so per tank is a small price to pay for a little insurance and better performance.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
When I learned about the CP4 issues, I took steps to mitigate it. We use our truck to haul our home (a truck camper) around the country, so reliability is a must. We installed a lift pump, and began using Opti-Lube (at 90,000 mi) after a lot of research. A big selling point for me, was that it was tested by an outside lab, paid for by forum users on another site. The results were posted in detail, and other additives' results were also shown. My personal experience has been a quieter running engine, faster starts, and about 2mpg improvement, (in addition to the 3mpg improvement from the lift pump/fuel filters). I'm having a CP3 conversion done, along with my head gaskets this month, (122,000 miles for those interested). I'll probably continue using Opti-Lube to protect all the new parts being installed on the truck while it's torn down. An extra $6 or so per tank is a small price to pay for a little insurance and better performance.
Optilube is great but also keep in mind that the test is from ~2007 area so there have been MAJOR change since then.

Nate’s Dmax

Dec 11, 2020
I’m right with you and would have a hard being convinced to use something else as OptiLube just plain works wonders.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I'll stick with 2 cycle if I feel the need to increased lubricity. Even if it loads up my DPF with ash faster it doesn't take long to flip it on my rig

I've played around with a few different brands and could tell no difference between them or nothing at all