Silicone hoses on straight pipe?

Mogman

May 3, 2020
Papalote, TX
I am wondering if silicone radiator hose will not push off of straight pipe? I am having to cut the cooling pipes to length so they do not have the bead that normally keeps the pipe from pushing off of the pipe, I am using T bolt clamps, I am not able to find rubber hoses in the configurations I need.

Last edited:

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I am wondering if silicone radiator hose will not push off of straight pipe? I am having to cut the cooling pipes to length so they do not have the (not sure what it is actually called) ridge that normally keeps the pipe from pushing off of the pipe, I am using T bolt clamps, I am not able to find rubber hoses in the configurations I need.

Are you talking about coolant pipes or the charge air cooler plumbing?

MAXX IT OUT

<<<IT WORKS
Mar 1, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
I would get a bead put on it of some sort. Its not worth the potential risk, since the cooling system can see some descent pressure spikes. I manged to blow the blockheater out of the side of the block, thankfully it was on the dyno, we saw it happen and shut everything down before anything too bad happened.

If the pipe is thin enough or aluminum you might be able to crimp beads in with some pliers. There is a couple of different tool that can be modified to do it, but here is one of them.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSSPpN3CGAY

Reactions: Jakezed22

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
I agree, you'll want to have some form of retention. You could buy a bead roller tool similar to the link below.

I literally wore one of those out on last project. Well worth the cost. They will do thin gauge SS if ya go slow and have some else crank it while you spin the tube.. But I also found just welding a few bumps around the end of those tubes works just as well. Goal is keep the tube from sliding out past the clamp. Doesn't take much to hold the tube in rubber.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Mogman

May 3, 2020
Papalote, TX
Well I'll be, I mentioned to the ol lady I was going to have to buy a bead roller and she said "why? you already have one" then she drug out this TEXTO (Peck Stow) beader from her side of the storage building, she has worked for years for different auctioneers and she always says when they start giving stuff away her hand goes up!
ANYWAY it looked like it would do the job in spades until I figured out the dies are:( too large for the pipes,,,,
IMG_20210312_141625816_HDR.jpg

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I use the Bead Form 3HD from Trick-Tools.com for rolling beads in all types and sizes of tubing. It is a little pricey if you only need it for one small project, but it works amazingly well. It's one of those things that once you have it, you will look for ways to put it to use.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Well I'll be, I mentioned to the ol lady I was going to have to buy a bead roller and she said "why? you already have one" then she drug out this TEXTO (Peck Stow) beader from her side of the storage building, she has worked for years for different auctioneers and she always says when they start giving stuff away her hand goes up!
ANYWAY it looked like it would do the job in spades until I figured out the dies are:( too large for the pipes,,,,
View attachment 105521
That looks more like a sheet metal bead roller for rolling beads in floor pans and whatnot.

Jakezed22

Dec 2, 2016
If you don't have access to a bead roller you could throw a few tack welds to act like a bead. Might be a little sloppy but it works. Of course bead rolling them is the best way. For coolant pipes I don't think you'd have a problem as they are only 10 ish psi, boost tubes I'd definitely roll.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
If you don't have access to a bead roller you could throw a few tack welds to act like a bead. Might be a little sloppy but it works. Of course bead rolling them is the best way. For coolant pipes I don't think you'd have a problem as they are only 10 ish psi, boost tubes I'd definitely roll.

The issue I foresee with coolant plumbing without bead rolling is over time I see them slowly collapsing/getting smaller which may cause them to push off. Bead rolling will cold work the part to increase stiffness as well as add bends which increase stiffness/crush strength as well as providing a ridge.