Fass not pumping.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
I tried searching so apologies if this is redundant.

I got a used fass for my truck. I think it’s a 165. I paid $0 for it.

It runs, won’t pump fuel. I pulled it apart and can’t see anything physically wrong.

Does anyone know if there’s a spec for gear clearance on the pumps? Or will a motor assembly fix my problem? I don’t care to buy one, I just don’t want to order a motor assembly and it not fix the problem.

I bench tested the motor with it apart and everything spins as I would think it should.

Attachments

• 47982F5C-D002-4B6B-A1B3-6F7A526DC915.jpeg
    47982F5C-D002-4B6B-A1B3-6F7A526DC915.jpeg
    202.4 KB · Views: 25

DuramaxRamRod

Oct 11, 2014
NH
Did you bench test the pump or in the truck?
All the pump passages clear? Return line still have the check ball and spring?

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Did you bench test the pump or in the truck?
All the pump passages clear? Return line still have the check ball and spring?

yes all clear, yes return spring and ball, bench test on bench. Can watch the gears turn

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
What happens if you pack the gears with grease then try and get it to suck fuel? I'm wondering if it just is airlocked from being worn.

I can try that. It does pump fuel if you prime the hell out of it. However if you shut it off it won’t self prime

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I can try that. It does pump fuel if you prime the hell out of it. However if you shut it off it won’t self prime

Can't say I've had that happen before. That would lead me to believe the gears are worn out to the point where the don't create enough of a seal to keep fuel in the pump housing.

Reactions: DuramaxRamRod

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Can't say I've had that happen before. That would lead me to believe the gears are worn out to the point where the don't create enough of a seal to keep fuel in the pump housing.

agree, that was my thinking as well

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Ive got into that a couple times with fass. Unless you know the original owner and they go through fass for you then youre sol.

yup.

But like I said it was a free purchase, so I don’t mind to spend the $250 on a new motor assy if it fixes it

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Does it have the little ball in the housing that goes between the pump body and the filter base?

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
I went on a whim and called fass. They say it’s a suction side issue on the truck. So im going to do a bucket test whenever I get my new filters in and see what happens.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Tolerances on a gear pump like the FASS and AD are pretty high for wear. You might lose efficiency but not likely to lose complete flow. There would have to be missing pieces or significant wear that would easily be visible. Usually the brushed motor goes up in smoke long before the pump wears out.

Not saying it’s not worn out as I haven’t put hands on it, but I tend to agree with FASS. Possibly a cracked housing or poor/blocked suction line or a suction line connection sucking air is where I would be looking.