lb7 turbo intake horn is it worth the money and time on a stock lb7

Jmoney

Jan 19, 2021
I'm new to the forum and i have 01 3500 federal emissions dmax, the engine and trans are all stock, with some mild modification they are
ppe down pipe
arp head studs i did the head gaskets awhile back
cold air intake
updated driver side exhaust manifold
4in rbp exhaust
edge cts2 tuner
truck has 194.000 miles i only use for towing the toyhauler or the pontoon and I'm wondering with the turbo horn and boost valve im i going to gain or feel a difference.
also thinking about a fuel lift pump nothing big just something to help out the cp3 pump.
Any advice would be appreciated .
thank you

RMJ_LB7

Feb 25, 2020
California
The Intake horn is one of the best mods you can do to the LB7's. Lift pump you might notice a difference in throttle response but unless you have a weak CP3 you won't notice a difference in power for the most part. I would recommend getting a set of 1/4" wobble extensions, electrical tape and some allen wrenches that you can cut down to make install easier for the intake horn. I have installed a cheap chinese knockoff intake horn and a expensive big name one and did not notice any difference between the two.

Jmoney

Jan 19, 2021
The Intake horn is one of the best mods you can do to the LB7's. Lift pump you might notice a difference in throttle response but unless you have a weak CP3 you won't notice a difference in power for the most part. I would recommend getting a set of 1/4" wobble extensions, electrical tape and some allen wrenches that you can cut down to make install easier for the intake horn. I have installed a cheap chinese knockoff intake horn and a expensive big name one and did not notice any difference between the two.

Ok thank you that's what I wanted to know, 130 bucks isn't an issue but can you recommend a good?

Jmoney

Jan 19, 2021
I’d get a lift pump and some EFILive tunes before a horn, but that’s just me.

I don't know if efi live is legal in California... sucks I had the chance 5 years ago and passed boy do I kick myself in the rear.

fl0w3n

Jan 8, 2015
I don't know if efi live is legal in California... sucks I had the chance 5 years ago and passed boy do I kick myself in the rear.

EFI Live is legal in California, and with a federal emissions truck you won't have to worry about anything.

Just be careful, it's a slippery slope and a built transmission will windup on that list sooner or later. But it's worth it :cool:

Reactions: Jmoney

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Personally I'd recommend ditching the canned Edge tuning and stepping up to quality EFILive files. The Edge files are nowhere near as good as EFILive in terms drivability, they make more power, they make cleaner power etc.

I'd do that before an intake horn IMO but the horn and boost increase valves do make a decent difference when pushing the truck on stock fuel/stock air/built trans max effort files.

Jmoney

Jan 19, 2021
Personally I'd recommend ditching the canned Edge tuning and stepping up to quality EFILive files. The Edge files are nowhere near as good as EFILive in terms drivability, they make more power, they make cleaner power etc.

I'd do that before an intake horn IMO but the horn and boost increase valves do make a decent difference when pushing the truck on stock fuel/stock air/built trans max effort files.

Thank you for the advice.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
IIRC a 1/4 x 1/4 x 1/8" vacuum T will do the same as a boost valve.

I would highly suggest you run a mechanical boost gauge before adding the valve though. the stock sensor only reads to 22 or 27psi IIRC. over 32 and your turbo goes BOOM. without proper tuning, you can also throw an overboost code as well.

RMJ_LB7

Feb 25, 2020
California

where in California are you? EFILIVE is the way to go, I have tons of people comment about better fuel mileage, throttle response and power.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
IIRC a 1/4 x 1/4 x 1/8" vacuum T will do the same as a boost valve.

I would highly suggest you run a mechanical boost gauge before adding the valve though. the stock sensor only reads to 22 or 27psi IIRC. over 32 and your turbo goes BOOM. without proper tuning, you can also throw an overboost code as well.
I have a Kennedy boost valve and with it adjusted all the way down I still hit 29-30 psi of boost. 01 owners routinely over boost with the PPE valve, so I would be very hesitant to run an open tee. 01 trucks ran 22 lbs of boost stock, 02-04 run 18-20 from what I've seen. The stock sensor only reads to 37 psi absolute, 14.7 atmos plus 22 of boost, and it's maxxed out(01's maxxed out stock, hence why there was so many tune changes from GM for 02 dealing with overboost codes).

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
It is worth the money. I have one of Rick's very first ones. His instructs used to be of my truck, not sure if they still are?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I have a Kennedy boost valve and with it adjusted all the way down I still hit 29-30 psi of boost. 01 owners routinely over boost with the PPE valve, so I would be very hesitant to run an open tee. 01 trucks ran 22 lbs of boost stock, 02-04 run 18-20 from what I've seen. The stock sensor only reads to 37 psi absolute, 14.7 atmos plus 22 of boost, and it's maxxed out(01's maxxed out stock, hence why there was so many tune changes from GM for 02 dealing with overboost codes).

Interesting. Mine always hit 22psi stock, that was all based on an edge with attitude. There were tales that stock wasn’t really stock on them though

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Interesting. Mine always hit 22psi stock, that was all based on an edge with attitude. There were tales that stock wasn’t really stock on them though
I've logged several 03/04's and they only hit 18 stock. Mine stock had no troubles hitting 22 on my seperate boost gauge, after putting a good daily driver tune in it(probably 100-120hp) I was hitting 25, and then I added the boost valve so I could turn it up a bit more without heavy smoke on a hot day.