LML-LML powertrain swap.

Dec 3, 2020
hey, so I got a 2013 2500 HD Silverado work truck, 6.6 duramax that needed a head gasket, so I found a 2015 powertrain for a good price and got it swapped out but won't start. there's power to everything but can't get it to crank. any tips would be great, thanks

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
We're going to need you to define crank. Does crank mean starter is engaged and turning the motor, or does crank mean the engine starts running? Unfortunately, different people have different meanings for that word.

Dec 3, 2020
We're going to need you to define crank. Does crank mean starter is engaged and turning the motor, or does crank mean the engine starts running? Unfortunately, different people have different meanings for that word.

sorry, it doesn't do anything. all the lights come on but nothing else happens. starter doesn't engage

Dec 3, 2020
Did you use the '13 ECM or the '15? Could it be a communication/VATS issue?
Im pretty sure everything is from the 13 , the mechanic has the wiring harness from the 15 with the engine but that's it, he said the harnesses are a bit different and was going to try putting the 13 harness back on the 15 motor and see if that was the issue.

Dec 3, 2020
13 or 15 ECM, TCM, etc??

he has all of the 2013 parts on it now after swapping the wiring harness. said hes having a hard time getting a positive on the TCM or pcm? but also tried the TCM off his truck and a spare pcm but still didn't work. I really appreciate the responses.

Dec 3, 2020
he has all of the 2013 parts on it now after swapping the wiring harness. said hes having a hard time getting a positive on the TCM or pcm? but also tried the TCM off his truck and a spare pcm but still didn't work. I really appreciate the responses.

would I get any benefit by calling a gm dealership and speaking with a mechanic? or possibly sending it there. this guy seems like a good mechanic, I'm sure this is no easy task. but also don't want to pay for him to just try guessing what it is either.

Wayne mix

Jan 26, 2021
If you have the 2015 motor in you prolly need the BCM from the 2015 truck heard they won’t work without it

Wayne mix

Jan 26, 2021
If you have the 2015 motor in you prolly need the BCM from the 2015 truck heard they won’t work without it
They also changed the TCM in 2015.5 so might look into that if u run into problem with trans if the BCM works out for ya