Roadkill drive on our summer vaca

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
So finally after 10 years, I’ve got our shop/people in place enough that I don’t have to stick around to go on the 4th of July vaca up to silverton, co. 9 days up in cold weather (compared to phx lol), fishing, hiking, wheeling, beautiful sites and good friends/family.

Anyhow, let’s get into how the trip there and back went because it’s never problem free on a 9 hour drive .

Friend of mine and I were convoying up together. He’s got a deleted 2012 cummins dually and it’s always a battle between him and I with Chevy vs dodge/ram. Over the last 12 years, sometimes he’d beat me, sometimes I’d beat him. Well we have both slowed on the drag racing while empty and now basically race up hills while loaded with trailers . He passed me in the old limo last year when I got hot and blew a boot, so he had payback coming this year.

We left out of phx at 6:00am. First stop was flag for fuel, then gallop for lunch, Cortez for fuel and end up in silverton by the end. We headed up our first grade and the new limo would just slowly walk away from him up the hill while he was on tune 2. I had the banks off as it just didn’t make the difference I wanted other than use more DEF, so it was stock. He wasn’t too thrilled with that. We laughed and continued on. On the last grade to flagstaff, he got on the radio and said the truck was throwing a code and rail pressure was low. I stopped for fuel and he stopped at napa for a fuel filter in flagstaff. He brought a 100 gal transfer tank to fill up from, I was stuck on 36 gal which don’t get far at 7-8mpg lol. Took about an hour in town before he was ready to rock.

Fuel filter in, seemed we were in good shape. Clicked off miles to Gallop, NM. Went this way as the suggestion from my dad because its 4 lane up to shiprock vs two lane from tuba city to Cortez. It’s also longer but I didn’t care if we could hold 75 the whole way. Gallop was pretty much shut down due to the virus and we couldn’t get in anywhere for a quick bite to eat so pulled up in pep boys parking lot and made lunch in the trailer. I needed fuel but all the stations at the junction and prior were PACKED with trucks and rv’s. I just kept thinking I’ll find a station that’s got more room... nope. We said screw it and see if I could make it to shiprock for fuel, otherwise I’d just get fuel from my buddies transfer tank.

As we drove up the 4 lane, it was not nearly as smooth as I had expected. I was watching semi’s coming the opposite direction bouncing like they were running the baja 500 . We were all over the place as well even at 65. 55-60 was about the best we could run for 100 miles. During this time, I throw a check engine light. Truck is running fine so we keep on. Then about 20 miles from shiprock, my buddy radios his truck is dieing and only has 5k rail pressure. We get off the road ASAP on a little farm road and start looking. After talking to him, he said rail was sticking at 17k, then 26k, then drops out, then runs right. I figured FPR was going. Popped the plug out and held 26k rail. Ok, let’s limp it into shiprock and call to see if we can find a FPR along the way. Least it’s easy to change. I check my codes and they are all for injector timing faults or out of range. Cleared them hoping it was just the crap road causing it and wait to see if it came back on. Truck sounds like a LB7 at this point at idle but runs great, f it, let’s keep on!

We get back on the road and make calls. No one has an FPR in Cortez or Durango. He calls DDP and they 2 day air one to the trailer park for us. At this point, we figure if it keeps hanging up, we will wire a switch in that cuts power to the fpr so it hopefully unsticks and gets full rail on hills. Fill up in shiprock (had 20 miles left per my dash lol) and we keep on trucking. Cruised through cortez, made it up the hills to Durango with no issues from either truck and set off for silverton. Seemed both trucks were running just fine at this point. Made it there at 6:30 Colorado time (5:30 our time), 11 hours, not bad.

Our time in silverton was awesome. No issues all 9 days other than my heater circuit board got water on it and shorted out at 2:00am. I had a spare as it’s a known issue so hour later, heats back on. We threw a new FPR in my buddies cummins and thought we had the issue licked.

894d8c685af66661abdc6637f2fa74ec.jpg

762bdf8c8a4df2a83e29295131f420dd.jpg

1276467c4435fe7fd9214251a728d7a4.jpg

6a2fabab16626d55d5f56701dfff2c05.jpg

12f6af7bd07ffd10284c7e93523acf9c.jpg

e6d85eb518026c365cef5524f274f7fc.jpg

2b168c029aa9906116c285d6b3aab280.jpg

ddabfb2c0095d9c241330a24ae4a1385.jpg

854122107badee929c6693a886874b46.jpg

be7521b6dbf1bde5dd03d7d8bc8faca6.jpg

81a67d32c06e268267ecbb39290fb9cb.jpg

adf25019ec0d4da0e7d18f390ab46f08.jpg

d3239b4d834417858fbf421f41bbb016.jpg

1e2ed6d7b7fe4a4eaef814ba9251af69.jpg

e714965ced2b960811bbb3b7521eb2b8.jpg

acc4fd8e648520e1a6b12218e619ed1c.jpg

Daughter reeled in her first fish off my pole and was all kinds of stoked on it. Course she wouldn’t hold the fish lol. My boy wasn’t too enthused either. We ran a few passes, check out the old mines and machinery and had to make a stop at the coors waterfalls for pics. Very low snow this time of year, didn’t get a whole lot this year.

This leads up to yesterday to pack up and head home. We left at 7:00am co time and headed back. Stopped in Cortez for bathroom breaks and headed towards Kayenta/tube city this time. I’ll take the nice roads and 2 lane over that other crap. We were trucking along at 70 and were 4 miles out when my buddy calls, cummins just died... he told me to get to Kayenta and he’d try to limp it in. I filled up and waited in the Napa parking lot there. He coasted in with the truck off. Damn it... we think fuel filter again so he goes to buy one, they don’t have one. Great. We will the cap to look at it and see there ain’t much fuel in the bowl. Hmmm. We both start to suspect the stock intank lift pump is dieing. It’s acting like a gas fuel pump where when it gets hot, it stops moving fuel. We left the cap off the fuel filter and I had him cycle the key. It filled very slowly. So back to Napa to see if they have a lift pump... nope. So we start to think outside the box. I think we should grab an external fuel pump for a gasser and put it in line to get fuel to the cp3. Find out the stock lift pump is not flow through but screw it, let’s try it. Napa has 0 fuel pumps of any sort whether intank or external other than for a carb. Seriously???. They really don’t have much!

So I think, I have a spare fuel pump for the tracker in the back of it, let’s drop it in the transfer tank and use it to send fuel up, then pray it don’t over pressure the fpr and spike rail to 26k because it pushes 80psi when dead headed. Buddy agrees but instead thinks we should just t it into the fuel line and just use the pump on a switch for hills only and hope the stock lift pump keeps enough fuel up for flat ground. Let’s try it!

By this point, it’s been an hour of figuring out what to do and wives and just doing what they can to let the kids run around in the trailer with the a/c on. They have had enough of sitting in cars lol. So we use a conduit cutter to split the steel fuel line, get 20ft of 3/8” carb gas line (no fuel injections line there), some hose clamps, a brass t and my buddy pulls out a tone of wire he has in a spare bag with a switch and fuse. We wire it up, plumb it up and have it on in 30 mine. The pump dropped right into the fill hole of the transfer tank and I zip tied it about an inch off the bottom. Then shoved rags in the fill hole. Damn thing worked and didn’t peg the fpr! So he tops off the transfer tank and stock tank was left at 1/2 full. We were thinking the excess fuel was pushing its self back into the stock tank, hence no fpr issues. Couldn’t confirm but left it half full just in case.

Headed off down the road and he left the pump off. Made it to tuba city where we hit a hill and it dropped rail, he hit the switch and in 5 sec, rail was right back up and he was back up to speed! Shit yeah it worked! He left it on and could see fuel percentage on his cts was increasing in the stock tank. So he’d only use it on grades. By time we hit flag, there was one long grade up 89 and he actually made it 90% of the way up without using the back up pump. Thought we were free and clear but his stock tank was now at 94% full.

So we stop at conoco for me to fill up and we have to drain his stock tank. Intank fuel pump is hardly moving any fuel back to the transfer tank so my buddy realizes he can reverse the polarity on the transfer tank pump and make it suck fuel. We jam the rest of the 3/8” line into the tank, hook it to the transfer pump and reverse the polarity. Drains that tank to 1/2 in a few min! Couldn’t go lower as the hose was hitting something and wouldn’t go down more.

So we head back off again but now the stock lift pump is all but dead. By camp verde, it will barely hold rail on flat ground and stock power level. He hits the back up pump for verde hill and he makes it to the top still doing 50mph. This is a win! Things go smooth till about 20 miles from phx where we hit one small grade and the truck just dies half way up. Come to find out, the transfer tank was 1/4 full at this point and all the fuel was at the back away from the back up pump. We suck fuel from the stock tank back to the transfer tank (was at 84% there) and it’s enough to get our asses back to town. 350 miles, our roadkill rigged up lift pump worked!! He stayed at his parents last night and was headed back home to Tucson this morning running the same setup.

Source: https://youtu.be/F3BHrNe43g8

We both have done rigged things like this many times in the past like power steering lines on rubicon trail, buddy loosing brakes/pinching the line and using trans fluid to get him home, welding wrenches to parts to fix a arms, drive shafts, tie rods. But this was a feat we both got quite a sense of accomplishment from going that far and getting family’s back home safe!

As for my code issues, they turned back up again just outside of flagstaff. They start with P01D7 and continue on for all injectors. I have a feeling I’ll be taking her in for all injectors to be replaced. I followed the gm trouble shooter and it’s coming back to that. Great, 5150 miles on it and need injectors. Going to dig into that a little more before taking it back in. Has a nice lope at idle now too.

Reactions: stroke250

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Guess you couldnt avoid "the LB7 blues", even on a new truck. Glad your rig worked and your families were able to make it home safely.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
well you may be cursing in the moment, in the end, this will be one of those adventures you will always remember and think back about how much fun you had. at least that's how it works for me. always fun to challenge yourself in these situations and enjoy the success when you come out on top.

glad you all made it ok

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
It’s nice that it wasn’t my rig this go round lol. I know he’s getting tired of this crap happening so I wouldn’t doubt he picks up a new truck sooner than later. He keeps saying he’s gonna buy a Chevy and I keep calling bull shit. Told him I’ll believe it the day he shows up in one

Both wives go “you guys need a film crew falling you both”, I might just carry a go-pro and tri-pod on trips now

Reactions: 1TRIKHD

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
LOL, I have had my share fun on a road trip or two so I know the Fun of wishing I had something new that I "Shouldn't" Have to worry about... I bet everyone on this site has had that experience at one time or another... 🤣🤣🤣

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I use this pump as my lift pump. Been running the original for 10 years but I have a spare under the back seat, JIC. Would have been nice to have something like this along for your fiend to have. A great way to spend $32.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/atx-e8153

That would be borderline, it only runs 10-14psi. Cummins needs 30-35psi to the cp3 to run correctly. We don’t know how much pressure the stock pump was dieing out too. Could have been 20psi, 10psi or 0 when it started coughing. With the high pressure pump, we knew it would have enough pressure and volume.

He has a fass lift pump system sitting at his house. Needless to say, he was banging his head against the truck knowing it was sitting there

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Well, at least y'all had a good time!

Trouble on trips = absolute stress for me. And to add salt to injury, I never seem to have anything I need with me to rectify the situation. :cautious:

fl0w3n

Jan 8, 2015
Looked like an amazing place to camp. The tracker fits fine in the toy hauler? What's the max size of something you can get in there and still get out of it after you drive in :ROFLMAO:

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Looked like an amazing place to camp. The tracker fits fine in the toy hauler? What's the max size of something you can get in there and still get out of it after you drive in :ROFLMAO:

quite a bit. you can fit a full size 4 seat sand rail/class 1 4 seat prerunner inside with room to spare. the only limiting factor is the carry capacity.

tracker drives right in with no issues, i just put two 2x10 8ft long boards on the door ramp to help dispurse the load. the door is rated at 3k lbs, tracker is 4k. lucky all 4 tires are never on the door all at once. i could fit a 4 door TTB style explorer in there as well. might be about the max room i have. There is a slide out as well that the tracker misses. it has a false floor that folds up so rzr's or sand cars or my tracker that have wide wheel widths and narrower bodies can go into without the need to jack it up, move slide in, then lower down and strap.

im actually considering trading or selling this hauler though for a newer genesis. they make a new one that has more garage area, trailer is only a foot longer, and twice as much kitchen counter space. fitting both quads and the tracker in this one is REAL tight. dont see both quads fitting in there with my sand car (its a foot longer)

fl0w3n

Jan 8, 2015
quite a bit. you can fit a full size 4 seat sand rail/class 1 4 seat prerunner inside with room to spare. the only limiting factor is the carry capacity.

tracker drives right in with no issues, i just put two 2x10 8ft long boards on the door ramp to help dispurse the load. the door is rated at 3k lbs, tracker is 4k. lucky all 4 tires are never on the door all at once. i could fit a 4 door TTB style explorer in there as well. might be about the max room i have. There is a slide out as well that the tracker misses. it has a false floor that folds up so rzr's or sand cars or my tracker that have wide wheel widths and narrower bodies can go into without the need to jack it up, move slide in, then lower down and strap.

im actually considering trading or selling this hauler though for a newer genesis. they make a new one that has more garage area, trailer is only a foot longer, and twice as much kitchen counter space. fitting both quads and the tracker in this one is REAL tight. dont see both quads fitting in there with my sand car (its a foot longer)
Oh cool, I've always wondered about the inside. Looking at some of the floorplans, I don't understand how it works...do you have to remove all the interior pieces when you want to use it as a garage?

Just trying to get an idea for the future... sounds like it would fit an XJ that was still on factory axles but not if it was on Tons. What about a JK or JL?

What are your thoughts on a crawler hauler type setup?

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Oh cool, I've always wondered about the inside. Looking at some of the floorplans, I don't understand how it works...do you have to remove all the interior pieces when you want to use it as a garage?

Just trying to get an idea for the future... sounds like it would fit an XJ that was still on factory axles but not if it was on Tons. What about a JK or JL?

What are your thoughts on a crawler hauler type setup?

So the tables sit on a post that is removable. there are counter sunk 2.5" holes that the table and floor have to accept them. the couches or dinets all fold up flat to the wall and if you have captains chairs, they will have to be moved to the front and use part of the garage space for storage while traveling. the back bunks or bed are usually on a hinge to go up and down in older trailers (like 2005 and older) or the newer ones use a track system to move them up and down via a button (waaaaaay better). i have over 80" to the bottom of the back beds from the floor so lots of head room for tall rigs. This was how the original "toy hauler" came about. Then they started building a separate garage to the living area. thats great but to get a 14+ ft garage, you have to get a 40ft or larger trailer. not what im after. i like to stick to 2 axles if at all possible. at 40+ft, you get into 3 axle trailers.

friend of mine use to put his TJ that was linked on tons in his 2010 38ft gearbox 5th wheel, he used military wheels with a high back spacing to make it fit without issue. that wouldnt be an issue in mine either. if you run a real deep off set wheel, that will be a problem.

if you have no kids, the crawler hauler is sweet. only issues are bathroom size and interior space. i was going to build one till we decided on kids.

fl0w3n

Jan 8, 2015
So the tables sit on a post that is removable. there are counter sunk 2.5" holes that the table and floor have to accept them. the couches or dinets all fold up flat to the wall and if you have captains chairs, they will have to be moved to the front and use part of the garage space for storage while traveling. the back bunks or bed are usually on a hinge to go up and down in older trailers (like 2005 and older) or the newer ones use a track system to move them up and down via a button (waaaaaay better). i have over 80" to the bottom of the back beds from the floor so lots of head room for tall rigs. This was how the original "toy hauler" came about. Then they started building a separate garage to the living area. thats great but to get a 14+ ft garage, you have to get a 40ft or larger trailer. not what im after. i like to stick to 2 axles if at all possible. at 40+ft, you get into 3 axle trailers.

friend of mine use to put his TJ that was linked on tons in his 2010 38ft gearbox 5th wheel, he used military wheels with a high back spacing to make it fit without issue. that wouldnt be an issue in mine either. if you run a real deep off set wheel, that will be a problem.

if you have no kids, the crawler hauler is sweet. only issues are bathroom size and interior space. i was going to build one till we decided on kids.
I was looking at the Genesis website just for fun and it looks like their 40ft triples are also the style you have that you fold away the rear bed and table. That’s why I was asking, I couldn’t figure out from the pictures and garage dimensions what was going on.
do you have to worry about greasy leaky rigs getting your foldaway eating or sleeping area dirty?

I’ve seen crawler haulers that have been built with 5th wheel trailers instead of cab overs, but they’re also on a 35-40+ GN at that point.

How long is your trailer now and what’s wrong with triple axels? Pain to turn?

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Yeah all of genesis trailers are open floor plan style. Look up other mfg like a momentum and so on that have a true garage to them at the back and living up front.

The carpet in them rolls up and I tuck it under the tracker to the side (t-case weeps gear oil). Then it’s just linoleum flooring so easy clean up for mud, oils, coolant, etc. you can always put a tarp down as well. People worry about the trailer smelling like gas from leaving toys inside as storage too and I’ve never had an issue nor family friends that do the same. I keep my sand car in it all the time. It’s leaked coolant and gear oil in the back before and was nothing more than a wipe up with a towel. Matter of fact, I’ve even changed the clutch in the sand car inside there . That’s real easy on it though.

I don’t like triples because it’s 2 more tires, 4 more bearings, more shackles, 2 more brakes, etc. they also never seem to wear tires evenly. Obviously if you need the carry capacity, there is no getting around it as I’ve yet to see a mfg put an axle larger than 8k axles under them.

I do know genesis specs the lippert chassis to be a 10” main beam which is bigger than most and good for hauling heavy like I do. Their out riggers to hold the walls are generally larger too so wall sag doesn’t occur that I’ve seen

fl0w3n

Jan 8, 2015
Cool thanks for sharing the insight. I’d love to get to the point of doing a trip like yours one day.

for now the goal is to just get the truck ready to go out and do similar redacted trips on its own, and then eventually add a FWC slide in, and then a bumper pull flat deck with a Jeep. Long term graduate to a 5th wheel

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Lol well this will make you laugh as a “regression”.

My wife saw a friend of ours do an 8 day overload trip through 4 states. She looks at me and goes “I want to do that”. Now, by no means was I about to say “honey, we have a big ass trailer, comfy truck, toys to haul out and play in, shower with 150 gal of water, heater, a/c, queen bed and you want to go live out of our tracker for 6-8 days?”

Instead it was “you pick what you want to go see and I’ll get the tracker ready, plan it for next May or June!” No damn way I’m about to argue with her when she wants to go wheel! I think she was surprised at how quick I agreed to it lmao