Obnoxious smell

Mogman

May 3, 2020
Papalote, TX
OK my "new" 2008 GMC 350 emits an obnoxious smell, I can smell it outside the truck from the time I start it until I shut it off, when driving it and come to a stop many times I can smell it, especially driving down wind, it is not the "normal" diesel smell like all my farm machinery emits, it is a sickening sweet smell the LITERALLY makes me sick for some time after exposure, WTF can I do about this smell?? other than getting rid of the truck.....

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Is the emissions system still in-tact? Has the crank case vent been rerouted to vent to the atmosphere vs recirculating back into the intake? How many miles on the truck? Any history?

Mogman

May 3, 2020
Papalote, TX
292K dealer replaced the fresh air intake with factory setup, EGR looks to be intact and unmodified, only codes are the air intake heater, the smell appears to be coming out of the tailpipe

Mogman

May 3, 2020
Papalote, TX
I have put several hunred miles on it and it is not using oil or coolant, besides does not smell like any coolant I have ever experienced before

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
as Bdsankey mentioned, you need to check the exhaust and make sure it's intact. specifically the Cat. make sure none of it was gutted or straight piped.