LMM: Heated Steering Wheel Upgrade

Harbin_22

Dec 4, 2010
Southern Indiana
Most of you know that I am very performance oriented, but my truck does get driven quite a bit and I like to have it as nice as possible. It started life as an LT with all you could get in an LT. Well I added the factory back up camera, Nav unit, heated cloth seats, full center console, and a bunch of Isspro Gauges that match the LTZ cluster overlay that I installed. Well I was pretty happy with it luxury wise until someone on here put a heated steering wheel up for sale. Honestly I didn't even know it was an option in this body style truck. Well after some research, it is a fairly simple swap and install. So I got on gmpartsdirect and ordered all the necessary items to do it. The wheel is from a 12' suburban, which is full leather wrap with no wood grain(which I hate wood grain personally), the clock spring is from a 10' denali 1/2 ton, and the harness, that I don't even know for sure is needed yet, is from the same 10' denali. Anyways, here are some part numbers and pictures of the parts. I should get some time this week to install and let you all know how it goes. Enjoy

Harbin_22

Dec 4, 2010
Southern Indiana
Finally got around to putting all this together. It is all pretty straight forward but a few hiccups along the way. First big thing was the clock spring PN is for a half ton denali. Well after removing my spring and went to install the new one, well it had two connectors for the airbag. After some research, the half tons have dual stage airbags where the 10' and older 3/4 tons have single stage. Neither of the connectors on the new spring fit my airbag. Well after some reading and harness checking, figured out to swap my connector onto the connector that matches up with the factory plug under the kick panel. Thats all good to go. I did find a part number from a bummer with a single stage bag that is supposed to be plug and play. It is 25976010. I don't know for sure if that is correct but from my readings it appears to be. Onto the heater part. I bought the extra harness and honestly it was a waste of money since our trucks were never wired for the heater. Basically paid $80 for a pigtail connector that I cut out of the new harness. Could easily cut the connector off the clock spring side and tap into power and ground that way. But at least I can unplug it now if I want. But all you have to do is find a key on power supply and a ground location and that is there is to it. It all turned out nice. The heater gets warm in about 10 seconds.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Nice job Kyle!

However, just an FYI, you should be able to to use a stock clockspring from an 11-14 Denali HD. The HD trucks have NEVER had dual-stage airbags, even today. Still single stage.

My 2012 Denali has a heated wheel, so I assume you'd need the exact same clockspring I have.

Ben

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
Can you put one of these setups from the 11-14 HD on a obs 06? It obviously wouldn't match the interior but that's ok

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Harbin_22

Dec 4, 2010
Southern Indiana
Nice job Kyle!

However, just an FYI, you should be able to to use a stock clockspring from an 11-14 Denali HD. The HD trucks have NEVER had dual-stage airbags, even today. Still single stage.

My 2012 Denali has a heated wheel, so I assume you'd need the exact same clockspring I have.

Ben

When I found the part number for the single stage bag, they were saying the denali with heated wheel had the dual stage bag even in 2500's.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
When I found the part number for the single stage bag, they were saying the denali with heated wheel had the dual stage bag even in 2500's.

Yeah I remember that thread. They're all idiots.

Like GM would actually design an entire new airbag system for a small percentage of HD trucks just to add the heated steering wheel LOL! :roflmao:

My 2012 Denali definitely has a single-stage airbag system.

Jbaldt

Dec 1, 2019
I am new to the forum and am interested in the heated steering wheel upgrade and thought I would ask the group some question. First, info on my rig.

2013 Chev Silverado 2500 HD LTZ.

So my questions are as follows:

1). Can I use a 2500 Denali steering wheel of that year? (Provided that it has heated steering)
2). Will the Chev airbag fit into the same spot as the GMC airbag?
3). Will the clock spring work? Is there any work other than some minor wiring required?

On a different question, can I upgrade to a 2014 wheel? Has anyone done this?

I apologize for any silly questions, just looking at figuring how to easily upgrade to a heated wheel.

kingofbytes

Sep 22, 2022
I realize this is an old thread; however, I've recently come into ownership of a 2011 Chevy Suburban 2500 LT. I want to put in a factory heated steering wheel. I am trying to validate the parts needed that I've cultivated with all of these threads. I'm hoping someone can validate for me?
  • Steering Wheel w/heat GM Part 22947767
  • Clock Spring Cable GM Part 25966966
Does this seem like the correct information?

Thanks!