caltracs vs traction bars

Kspen90

<<<got turbos?
Jul 14, 2011
Burleson, Tx
I'm going to be building a set of either traction bars or caltracs soon but I'm wanting a little advice. I plan on removing the overload and one full leaf for ride comfort and adding a set of air helper springs to retain payload capacity. My questions are #1 with the leaf pack stripped down will the caltracs still stop axle wrap? #2 will traditional trac bars compromise ride quality? #3 what's your opinion on which setup will be best for my application?

Kspen90

<<<got turbos?
Jul 14, 2011
Burleson, Tx
Shoulda put that in there, for some reason I always assume everyone already knows lol Mostly DD and ripping down the streets when I'm in a hurry and some towing

Last edited:

JDub

Aug 9, 2009
Hooper, Utah
I haven't noticed any change in ride quality with my truck (pulled load spring, air bags, caltracs). I had caltracs on my old 2wd ford and they worked great, that's why I went with them again on my current truck. They can be a bit noisy around town but a piece of rubber hose around the pin that rides on the leaf spring cured that.

Sent from my XT907

Kspen90

<<<got turbos?
Jul 14, 2011
Burleson, Tx
I haven't noticed any change in ride quality with my truck (pulled load spring, air bags, caltracs). I had caltracs on my old 2wd ford and they worked great, that's why I went with them again on my current truck. They can be a bit noisy around town but a piece of rubber hose around the pin that rides on the leaf spring cured that.

Sent from my XT907
If you pull your overload springs off, install your Caltracs or ladder bars, or you will be buying a driveshaft and rear yoke....from experience ..��

That is what I an planning to do....

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
Im thinking about geting a set also been looking around and comparing.Steve sells some nice and light 1s but they look a little short,another memeber on here is making a bad ass set that uses 2.25 tubing and 1 inch heims but im wondering how heavy they are?That being said they will never flex or bend.

WisconsinHick1

Mar 11, 2009
Minnesota
I had traction bars and they were good. A little rigid for street driving though. I bought Caltracs last year and have been very happy with them. Better on the street and have worked great for sled pulling and drag racing.

jnieberlein

Secret Squirrel Diesel
Aug 17, 2009
West By God
I haven't had traction bars, My cal tracs are installed with the full leaf pack still, although air bags and a pulled overload is in my future. They can be a little noisy as stated. I live on a dirt road so I try and hose em down about once a week or so with wd or kroil to keep the squeak to a minimum. I still tow with them and over all I am happy with their performance. The finish didn't last one year since the install, through the winter I have lost a fair amount of powder coat of the front brackets

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
Ride like crap for no axle wrap

Rides nice with axle wrap.

James built me a set of "axle wrap" bars and I never even knew they were there, cant say the same with Caltracs. I only towed once with caltracs on my LBZ, and a few times with my GMC with long bars, so just my findings.

jnieberlein

Secret Squirrel Diesel
Aug 17, 2009
West By God
Ok, I thought their may be some kinda of safety concern I was unaware of. My gooseneck tows pretty smooth so I haven't had the same experience as you, thanx for clarifying

jnieberlein

Secret Squirrel Diesel
Aug 17, 2009
West By God
I would think if you have a hell of a load wouldnt it push or pull on the rear end depending on the angle of the bar?

Probably, I have em adjusted just off the springs normally and if the trailer is real heavy I have adjusted them again so they are not preloading on the spring with the weight of the trailer. This weekend I just left them as they were went about 300 miles round trip and didn't really notice any difference compared to just towing the trailer when I didn't have them on there. My thinking with the air bags is I can take any added load off the springs with the increase of air and adjust ride height according. Not the best pic in the world but you get the idea

picture.php

Last edited:

arneson

Aug 14, 2011
stoughton, wisconsin
Traditional bars will make it ridgid feeling. They can be driven on street or dd, but u will notice them. Longer bars are more for sled pulling and moving the load weight further up the frame. Never been in a truck that i couldn't feel them.

Ryan T

Sep 5, 2010
CA
Also, Cal tracs plant your tires to the ground, bars just take care of axle wrap

Kspen90

<<<got turbos?
Jul 14, 2011
Burleson, Tx
Thanks for all the replys guys! I think ill tackle building a set of caltracs after I get done with my short throw shifter project

Last edited: