ACDelcotds.com and tech2win help

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Alright guys, i swear im not retarded but GM has got to make this shit overly difficult to use.

Yall know im fairly computer literate but im getting real fed up with trying to get the damn tech2win to work.

as of right now, i dont have a GDS2 subscription. i buy them as needed through the year as i dont use the MDI2 a whole lot. I did need the tech2 though to check TPMS sensors on my wifes 08 canyon (says "service tpms" on the dash and she has the low pressure light on). not 100% sure it was going to show me the info i needed but its kind of a mute point cause i never got that far.

i did buy a 3 day subscription for the tech2win, it prompted me to download techline connect and went through that jazz. i also realized you can buy tech2win for 300 bucks and i plan to do that but not till i get this software issue figured out. i put all this on a brand new laptop that has more than enough ram and storage for what gm requires. During all that, it puts the tech2win on my computer as well and does a 'license check' and says im good to go. open up tech2win and it keeps telling me i have no license to use it. ive tried deleting everything and re-downloading, updateing stuff, downloading the software only out of the techline connect area (its under software on the left hand side) and still no dice.

how the hell do i get it working? its gotta be something simple im missing, i know this can be tricky from stuff ive read online. MDI stuff is pretty straight forward, download the techline connect, pay for the GDS2, it updates for the license and im off and running but it wont read older rigs.

Ron Nielson

Oct 11, 2009
Berryton, KS
I don't know the answer to your questions, but isn't there a phone number on the website to call for help? I sure hope so. Or maybe even look at Youtube to see if someone has posted a 'how to' video on the subject.

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
I can't comment on your exact issues much as I really didn't have any issues getting Techline Connect installed and working, and the REALLY SMALL amount I played with tech2win, it basically installed and worked, so without looking over your shoulder when you were doing what you were doing... But a 'protip'.... From my experience, when you purchase even a 3day sub, you end up with a 120 day lease... After you buy it and it updates, make sure it can't get to the internet and select offline mode and it'll work for 120 days... Once you get to the 120 days, roll back your clock to a point before the 120 days before you launch Techline Connect, and you can run it indefinitely.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Reactions: juddski88

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I can't comment on your exact issues much as I really didn't have any issues getting Techline Connect installed and working, and the REALLY SMALL amount I played with tech2win, it basically installed and worked, so without looking over your shoulder when you were doing what you were doing... But a 'protip'.... From my experience, when you purchase even a 3day sub, you end up with a 120 day lease... After you buy it and it updates, make sure it can't get to the internet and select offline mode and it'll work for 120 days... Once you get to the 120 days, roll back your clock to a point before the 120 days before you launch Techline Connect, and you can run it indefinitely.

if it's that primitive I'd be inclined to think that the expiration date is just put into a text file somewhere. probably located in the install path of the program. often those files have the extension changed but opening them with notepad will still work.

since having the computer date off can have other unintended consequences such as security issues on the browser I wonder if you could just advance the clock way forward before the install then put it back to correct for use.

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
if it's that primitive I'd be inclined to think that the expiration date is just put into a text file somewhere. probably located in the install path of the program. often those files have the extension changed but opening them with notepad will still work.

since having the computer date off can have other unintended consequences such as security issues on the browser I wonder if you could just advance the clock way forward before the install then put it back to correct for use.
Well..... That's a thought... But when installing and activating off their servers, it might not jive well. When working offline with no internet access, it doesnt know anything other than what the os tells it. All I can say is that's worked for me. As a slight tangent, IMO, when you buy a tool like a MDI2, you should automatically be granted a permanent licence for GDS2 diagnostics at the version available at the time you register. If you choose to pay to upgrade later, then that version should become permanent.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Well..... That's a thought... But when installing and activating off their servers, it might not jive well. When working offline with no internet access, it doesnt know anything other than what the os tells it. All I can say is that's worked for me. As a slight tangent, IMO, when you buy a tool like a MDI2, you should automatically be granted a permanent licence for GDS2 diagnostics at the version available at the time you register. If you choose to pay to upgrade later, then that version should become permanent.

God I wish this would happen!

036.6turbo

Jan 17, 2014
On mine I have to renew my lease every 30 days, or I get goofy error codes.
I start here;
1663059235787.png

Then here;
1663059316520.png

Then it will usually renew my lease. There is a "days" count down in the lower right corner of the screen, when the lease renews it will show (30).

I'm on a desktop now, so it's not connected, but in this screen shot look at the "NUM". Where I actually on my laptop and plugged in, the days left would show in that spot.
1663059572638.png
Making sure JAVA is up to date is always a pain the butt as well. It's REAL picky about JAVA.

Hope any of this helps.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Appreciate the info guys. Sorry for the hiatus. Was up on my elk hunt since Friday.

I don’t see the point of getting a China tech2 when I have the ability to use genuine gm stuff. I know I won’t have any issues flashing or logging either. Not to say the China one will but it’s already here, just need to get the software to play nice.

6.6, mine looks different. I’ve used the dealer vsp network before when I had a buddy at a dealer but he’s since left. That imo worked better becuase I could download everything (sps, gds2, tech2win, so on) but gm does require the 30 day re-download for license where the acdelco tds can be tricked like said above.

The whole needing to buy a subscription is annoying as all hell but of course they gotta get more money from you somehow .

Reactions: 036.6turbo

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Well i figured it out... feel pretty stupid about it but apparently a clearer mind was needed.

once you download techline connect, log into it (must have a valid license from where ever you get it, i have to open up acdelcotds each time, click "access" on my license, then it will launch my GDS2). From there, open up tech2win and then go back to GDS2 while tech2win is still running in the background. Open "support" and click "Security". select the tech 2 and have it go through its steps. once done, go back to "support", click "download software" and follow its prompts. this is where you select what mfg or region you want to use for the tech 2 to scan cars. Select it and let it update tech2win that is running in the background. once its done, everything to finally fricken work.

my god... that was way harder than it should have been. btw, that 280 bucks for "tech2 for life" was bs, its just the programming to update the physical tech2 to the newest programming availible.

im going to try the date deal and see if i cant keep the tech2win rolling lol