Physiksgeek

Jul 31, 2022
Crane Hill, Alabama
Hey everybody…..I have lurked for quite some time. Decided to sign up cause I am going to try my hand at tuning (I will apologize now for those questions….lol).

I’m a Tennessee boy borned and bred…. middle Tennessee north of Nashville. Spent six years in the Navy. Spent time turning wrenches for a living after that for another six years. Went to college on the GI Bill. After I got all smart an such, I went to work for an HVAC manufacturer. I have been with them over 17 years though I am not on the corporate side any longer……which is how I ended up in Alabama. Work as a field consultant travelling the state for the same company.

I drive my personal truck for work and play. May hit 90 on the interstate on a Friday afternoon headed back home and I fish a local Crappie Trail pulling a boat three hours one-way. That is about the extent of me “rawhiding” the truck. BUT…. there are two things I hate - 1. I hate being broke down on the side of the road. 2. I hate being broke down on the water (in a boat). Worst case scenario I am broke down on the side of the road pulling my boat. The first reason is why I lurk. Also, why I signed up. Not looking to build a 750 HP monster just looking to maintain and maximize my LBZ. I have real concerns that the next truck I have to buy may be above my head to work on. So, I have a real interest in trying to keep what I have in tip top shape.

If any of you want to talk tuning or fishing I’m game. I always love to fish new water so I’m gonna put it out there….trading a trip or trading for a trip is a real possibility.

I will (in my mind) come prepared to a conversation. I deal with enough people that want “you” to read the instructions that it has become a peeve with me and I am conscious not to do it.

Thanks in advance!

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
welcome

if you don't want to be stranded on the side of the road then keep it stock except for a built transmission and a lift pump. those are really the only two mods I'd recommend for a truck that tows and is reliable.

there are definitely ways to increase HP and keep it reliable but it can be a pain getting there and can cost many thousands to do it. if you are planning on tuning then keep it mild and focus on MPGs and not power

Reactions: Bdsankey

Physiksgeek

Jul 31, 2022
Crane Hill, Alabama
Appreciate it and agree. Mileage and mild are the words of the day. Don’t get me wrong….HP is like Christmas…can never have too much of it! But, I got a ‘72 Nova SS that cures that ill.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
welcome

if you don't want to be stranded on the side of the road then keep it stock except for a built transmission and a lift pump. those are really the only two mods I'd recommend for a truck that tows and is reliable.

there are definitely ways to increase HP and keep it reliable but it can be a pain getting there and can cost many thousands to do it. if you are planning on tuning then keep it mild and focus on MPGs and not power
^Exactly this. A built trans/stock fuel/stock air/tuned truck is pretty darn reliable and will do any task.

Physiksgeek

Jul 31, 2022
Crane Hill, Alabama
May be the wrong place but what do we mean when we say “built” transmission. Like a TransGo Jr? Or more? When I hear it I think crazy things….lol! At this point I’m not even wanting to tune above stock trans. I’m open to it. Just not on my radar really.

BoiseRob

Oct 12, 2007
Much more than a Transgo Jr. kit...

You drop the trans and upgrade the clutches & steels and install a performance torque converter. Then there's the upgraded TCM tune installation. Best to leave it to professionals...

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Tons more go into a built trans beyond a TransGo Jr as stated above. The clutch material, clutch counts, clutch pattern, steel material/finish, hydraulic modifications, and lastly a performance/upgraded torque converter round out the typical built transmission.

TCM tuning doesn't help power holding capability until the LMLs, before that its mainly used to account for larger turbos as well as specific applications like sled pulling or drag racing.

Physiksgeek

Jul 31, 2022
Crane Hill, Alabama
Thank’s….That’s what I was thinking when I see “built”. We are on the same page there. Again, not on my radar right now. HP gains are a necessary part of tuning but I got nervous looking a dsp5 switches where there were 90 and 120HP tunes. I do not have transmission concerns yet and do not want any. It’s quite possible I probably fall under the ignorance is bliss category at this time.

Dozerboy….yeah gonna try my hand at it. You mess with tuning? I have flashscan and a learning curve still to overcome. I’ve got about three months messing with it and have yet to tune anything on my truck. Not that comfortable yet. Also, not looking to pester the pros but I don’t mind bouncing ideas off like minded similarly skilled people to avoid it and then reach out when I hit a wall. That’s about where I am right now. It’s one of the reasons I signed up. I gotta waste my time on something I guess.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I'd stay away from the DSP tunes and stick with a single tune. HP isn't necessarily increased when tuning. there are many tables and settings that are not HP related that can be tweaked to increase MPG, reliability, smoothness or whatever else you desire. if you want your stock transmission to last keep the HP stock or at a minimum 20 to 40 HP or so increase and no more.

start with reading up on the numerous older threads on tuning before making any changes. search for the table name for help on that table. there are enough information throughout the older threads to answer just about any question.

Physiksgeek

Jul 31, 2022
Crane Hill, Alabama
2004LB7 thanks….This is me….minimal on HP….more about cleaning up “things” that just make sense and being aware of issues setting in. I’ve been in a lot of threads and I agree with all that you say.

I lost an LB7 at 410k miles that I was in love with. Probably lost it for multiple reasons (head gaskets as a result of injectors was my final diagnosis) but mostly for not being more on top of these type things.

Reactions: Bdsankey

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Dozerboy….yeah gonna try my hand at it. You mess with tuning? I have flashscan and a learning curve still to overcome. I’ve got about three months messing with it and have yet to tune anything on my truck. Not that comfortable yet. Also, not looking to pester the pros but I don’t mind bouncing ideas off like minded similarly skilled people to avoid it and then reach out when I hit a wall. That’s about where I am right now. It’s one of the reasons I signed up. I gotta waste my time on something I guess.

Your best bet is to search and read old threads. The fundamentals have all been discussed. There isn't a lot of tuning talk anymore ever since the EPA cracked down on stuff.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
per your sig, you got 309k on that truck.

imho, dont tune it. MAYBE a mild 40-60hp single tune MAX but you will need to build the trans. a transgo jr isnt going to get you far as thats too many miles on the trans to see any benefit. Lift pump is a good choice tuned or not tuned.

running a larger tune puts you at risk of popping a piston, loosing a hg, or crank breaking. you have the weakest pistons and the lbz-lml have the highest potential to break cranks due to design issues. you may also start seeing rail pressure not holding due to the miles on your truck even on a mild tune.

there is also the fact you have been running a egr and pcv for 300k, its a good bet the intake track is full of carbon build up and a good cleaning is needed but will require removing heads. You could run a water/meth setup and it will clean all that out over time but either pcv flow needs to be rerouted or the egr dealt with to keep it clean

Reactions: 2004LB7

Physiksgeek

Jul 31, 2022
Crane Hill, Alabama
Thanks Dozerboy.....I have noticed the fall off. I filtered by the last year and got like a half dozen hits maybe. But, to your point still a lot of good discussions to be mined. For a newbie like me it is like the Library of Congress.

Thanks Chevy1925.....its like we are one.....lol. Even being unaware of the information you clued me in on above it doesn't make sense to ask her to do something shes never done at this point in our relationship. Learned that tidbit of wisdom with the wifey...lol!

Truck is already throwing the P0087 code towing a 19' glass boat (specs say 3200lbs with a full tank). It's done it twice in a year. Once in December and once just a few weeks ago (summer). Been dickering with it since the last. Not pulling a boat is NOT an option so Injectors are coming (staying Bosch stock) within a few weeks. On a side note......I can see one reason why egr coolers fall off trucks.....those fuel lines on the passenger side appear to be inaccesible with it in place. At least with the set of line wrenches I have.