LB7: Air Intakes

04dirtymaxdiesel

May 4, 2020
Upstate New York
Hey Diesels, I just purchased an 04 Silverado 2500HD with a LB7 with only 75,000 miles, My son who owns a 06 Dodge 3500 5.9 went out and got me a Bully Dog programmer and a boost fooler, now he's telling me I should get a cold air intake, I really don't want to spend $300-$400, I found a Spectre Performance one for less than $150, Should I do it and are there going to be a noticeable difference, I appreciate any feed backs, Thanks

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
a search on here would tell you all you need to know.

leave the stock filter and leave the tuner under 60hp or you will be building that trans sooner than later

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I remember a test that was posted years ago on DP where they tested every known cold air on the same truck at the drag strip. Including stright pipe( no air cleaner ). Truck ran the same times every pass.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
IMO unless you've got a big drop in style turbo I wouldn't mess with an intake. The factory setup does a pretty darn good job and its cheap as its already there. Just stay up on filter replacements and you shouldn't ever have a problem.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Even with 600hp+ and modded stock turbo I use the stock LBZ filter. On the big tune I can’t even pull the filter minder down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

torqued2dmax

Mar 26, 2017
Brookville, PA
The massive hp gain you will see is about 1/4th what you feel when you shut off the air conditioning switch ! If you get the bully dog working , see post from 1925 ! In other words if the price of a cold air is an issue do not blow a $4000 to $5000 tranny the guys on this site know what they are talking about .

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Moved to LB7 section.

If under 500rwhp, stick with the stock intake.

Bullydog isnt the best handheld to use, either.

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
Something you’ll learn is that the duramax and Cummins are extremely different with their basic mods and where your money should go. Factory air box with it modded will suit you just fine for what your trans will hold. Also as mentioned yes a bully dog will work, but it’s not the best. If you go canned tuner a PPE will be your best bet but I think compares to a single EFILive tune.

04dirtymaxdiesel

May 4, 2020
Upstate New York
Lb7 Air Intake

Thanks for all your info, I value all your opinions, Being new to the whole diesel world is a bit confusing, But it's pretty cool, I'm going to leave the stock air intake alone, and as far as the "Bully Dog" it works really well, Is there anything else I should know about, or simple mods I can do, don't want problems down the road, Thanks Again

KyleC4

Tech
Dec 30, 2016
Bay Area
I personally think that one of the best things is to install a lift pump (fass, airdog, etc) on an lb7. Nothing you’ll notice power wise in the seat but a good help to that fuel system. And in the diesel world there are a lot of opinions. Browse around the lb7 section and you’ll get a better feel for it all

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I personally think that one of the best things is to install a lift pump (fass, airdog, etc) on an lb7. Nothing you’ll notice power wise in the seat but a good help to that fuel system. And in the diesel world there are a lot of opinions. Browse around the lb7 section and you’ll get a better feel for it all

You will notice some power gains with a big tune after installng a lift pump.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin

You will notice some power gains with a big tune after installng a lift pump.

I'm with Mike on this one. The factory CP3 loves to be force-fed fuel and it really shows as demanded fuel quantity goes up, especially on the 200hp+ stock injector/stock turbo/built trans files.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Thanks for all your info, I value all your opinions, Being new to the whole diesel world is a bit confusing, But it's pretty cool, I'm going to leave the stock air intake alone, and as far as the "Bully Dog" it works really well, Is there anything else I should know about, or simple mods I can do, don't want problems down the road, Thanks Again

well its a LB7 so plan on injectors at some point. SAC style are out with stock flow numbers which pretty much eliminates the weak points of the old style injectors. Lift pump as mentioned before. exhaust is not a bad thing if you wanted to add one though stock is ok under mild tuning. be a good idea to look into a pump rub plate for the t-case and get that done before it punches a hole through the case.

04dirtymaxdiesel

May 4, 2020
Upstate New York
Thanks Guys, I'll start looking into those thing ya mentioned, I did notice, there' quite a big difference in the "Bully Dog" power levels, in the performance mode the truck runs great with alot of quickness, in the extreme mode the tuck jumps a live with quick pedal response, rolls a little coal too, Just don't want to blow anything up, So I'm going to take it slow with the mods, any make sure everything's going to work together before I get in trouble, Thanks Again for all the info

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Thanks Guys, I'll start looking into those thing ya mentioned, I did notice, there' quite a big difference in the "Bully Dog" power levels, in the performance mode the truck runs great with alot of quickness, in the extreme mode the tuck jumps a live with quick pedal response, rolls a little coal too, Just don't want to blow anything up, So I'm going to take it slow with the mods, any make sure everything's going to work together before I get in trouble, Thanks Again for all the info

Do yourself a favor and don't run the bully dog turned up. The stock trans will not have a happy life there.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
a search on here would tell you all you need to know.

leave the stock filter and leave the tuner under 60hp or you will be building that trans sooner than later

literally the second post. follow this or get ready to drop 5k or more