Any real life Reviews on WC fab cold air intake?? Dyno testing?

Columbus450

Aug 24, 2017
Louisiana
I wasn’t sure what section to put this in so please move it if it’s in the wrong one

I am running the Danville BMW 3794 65mm with his tunes
Pushing about 600 hp I am still on the stock intake set up I’ve heard the OEM LBZ air filter Doesn’t flow as well over
f47ef2185d8cff821436790f85d3a242.jpg
500 hp not sure if that’s true,

Love love the filtertration of the Donaldson OEM filter

I was really wanting to dress up under my hood with the WC fab intake In illusion blueberry we all know they are very pretty but how effective actually are they feedback please thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
It is a good kit. Personally I like to push the WCFab or HSP intakes at my shop for someone with a drop in turbo as they flow the best in my opinion (smoothest bends, smoothest inner surfaces to keep flow laminar, less gap between pipes in the boots etc).

You can't go wrong with any of them on a drop in turbo. A stock turbo is a little more forgiving in terms of its maximum air requirements.

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
In my opinion, any intake that gets air from under the hood isn’t good. Drag racing with your headlight out would probably be fine.

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
In my opinion, any intake that gets air from under the hood isn’t good. Drag racing with your headlight out would probably be fine.

Agreed! LBZ mouthpiece and a Banks Ram air intake is the best possible parts combo for most power available. I have an S&B on my personal truck because it came on the truck and I'm cheap lol. The quality of the WCFab is awesome and I love the look of them and they work great but the downside is the underhood heat and the metal piping transfer the heat to the intake air.

Yngdmax92

Sep 26, 2013
So what's the stock lbz intake good for?

I have the same set up, billet stg2 with upgraded vanes. I have zero smoke with marks tunes. 3150 us sounds about right from what I've seen.

Columbus450

Aug 24, 2017
Louisiana
The smoke I have from Marks tunes is very minimal just a little puff on heavy acceleration till the turbo lights , it will throw the most which isn’t real bad either on the Built trans #5 it will sit and get ! , never did I suspect it was related to the air filter,It’s a diesel and modified dumping lots of fuel....

Needless to say thanks a lot for the info i got the Wcfab kit coming on the way

And Mark I like the idea of the bianks scoop sitting under my bumper sucking nothing but cold air ,But also I could see it getting muddy and getting crap in there also I’m not a fan of plastic intakes

Last edited:

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
put the truck on the dyno and run it with and without the paper element. The info on stock air boxes is old as shit and frankly, i wouldnt trust it. the test done way back then were never done with the turbos and tuning we have today.

75 bucks to hit up a dyno day would be the cheapest way to know if you need to jump to a banks type setup (or any other intake that will separate under hood air from outside air) or stay stock. The paper filter will be the restriction, not the tubing size.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
put the truck on the dyno and run it with and without the paper element. The info on stock air boxes is old as shit and frankly, i wouldnt trust it. the test done way back then were never done with the turbos and tuning we have today.

75 bucks to hit up a dyno day would be the cheapest way to know if you need to jump to a banks type setup (or any other intake that will separate under hood air from outside air) or stay stock. The paper filter will be the restriction, not the tubing size.

^^^

I know my truck picked up 37hp on the dyno with a 4094 68r, 60% overs, 10mm pump the second we removed the S&B filter. I left the airbox there just pulled the element. We did 5 runs filter on and 5 runs filter off and the average gain (peak) was 34.8hp. The curve was also fatter down low but not enough to write home about.

Yngdmax92

Sep 26, 2013
I guess until I see smoke out the pipe I don't really have the desire to do an intake unless it's for looks.

Truck spools instant and runs frican mint! If you feel a difference, report back.

Columbus450

Aug 24, 2017
Louisiana

OK so with the testing that was done way back then before the turbos and tuning we have now wouldn’t the results be even worse now with (factory element )

Since were running bigger turbos that demand even more air flow I would see it as a choke point

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I guess until I see smoke out the pipe I don't really have the desire to do an intake unless it's for looks.

Truck spools instant and runs frican mint! If you feel a difference, report back.

that doesnt mean much. your visual test and butt dyno will never be able to tell you the difference. your MAF sensor will trick you.

Columbus450

Aug 24, 2017
Louisiana

My trucks spools freaking instant as well, if I actually feel a difference I will report,Probably will be more sound over anything we will see I know the best way to tell is put it on the Dyno

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
OK so with the testing that was done way back then before the turbos and tuning we have now wouldn’t the results be even worse now with (factory element )

Since were running bigger turbos that demand even more air flow I would see it as a choke point

you would think so.

there is a bigger side to this you need to look at too. The effectiveness at the air cleaner doing its #1 job.... keeping the air clean. you will never out do the stock paper element in that factor unless you go to a different air box that again uses a paper filter. Most aftermarket filters flat out dont keep enough dirt out for turbo applications. Dry filters will never get fully clean when you try to clean them, they keep shit packed between the layers because they are so tightly woven. good for clean air, bad for reuse, still does not filter as much as paper. oiled requires many layers to keep up. The more surface area, the better. allows for more flow and the ability to catch dirt over time.

if you are sacrificing some ponies for clean air, is it worth it? if you want to keep things as clean and pull air in as well as it should but gain a few ponies, go with the banks.

Just fyi, the testing from way back when was the stock 01-05 filter and housing was good for 500rwhp. the 06-10 was good for 600rwhp. again, take with a grain of salt but i would bet you MIGHT be missing 50-60hp using the stock setup from filter to no filter.

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
my 08 OEM filter/box wasn't good at 600hp. I'd suck the minder down into full red with one highway pull. I went to a plastic rotomoulded Injen with a dry filter. When I hit the dyno at Mark's he said fuel and not air was my limiting factor at 636hp. I've since gone to a 12mm cp3 from stock and the minder needle on the Injen doesn't move on the big(ger) tune. The filter is gigantic, BTW. The airbox barely fits because it's so big. I'm pleased.

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
I love seeing threads like this pop up. Lots of good info here. Wasn’t aware that some guys were steering away from factory setups. My truck came with a banks I take and exhaust and I’m starting to wonder if the exhaust is choking me. Even with a good tune whether I baby if beat it I get 15mpg constant hand calculated.

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
Who’s tuning? Tire size? Gears? Lift? Mods?

Corbin tuned it. Great clean tune. But no change. All his other guys get 18-19 ish. 33x12.50. Stock gears I’m assuming 3.42? Truck has a leveling kit turned down an inch below level. Just a tune, banks intake and banks exhaust. No change from stock tuning and stocks with 285s.