Question: Bulb Upgrade

cjb2283

Feb 1, 2016
Utah/wherever the AF sends me
Has anyone found a LED compatible upgrade for the highs/lows on the LMLs? I have a 2015 and I want them to appear white instead of the nasty yellowish and match the accent lights. I have tried a couple different bulbs and they wont work since they need to be dual filament. Are the 9012 bulbs the same as another bulb by chance? Thank you for any help.

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
Has anyone found a LED compatible upgrade for the highs/lows on the LMLs? I have a 2015 and I want them to appear white instead of the nasty yellowish and match the accent lights. I have tried a couple different bulbs and they wont work since they need to be dual filament. Are the 9012 bulbs the same as another bulb by chance? Thank you for any help.

Why do they need to be dual? The projector opens up for high beam doesn’t it?

cjb2283

Feb 1, 2016
Why not change to an LED? That way you could control the color, 5k being nearly white.

I want to change to an LED, I just cant find one that works, yet.

Why do they need to be dual? The projector opens up for high beam doesn’t it?

Hmmm...I will have to research this. I have no idea. I will have to watch my lights I guess.

Diode Dynamics 9012 SL1.

These look promising...expensive! but promising.

Thanks for the replies fellas.

ShopSpecialties

Jun 4, 2008
Grass Range, Montana
Like with most things quality comes with a price. Check out Headlight Revolution on YouTube. They do a lot of testing of bulbs in different oem headlight housings so you can see the difference between a variety of bulbs. I was very surprised at how the big the difference is between beam patterns/brightness of different brands.
https://youtu.be/mZSNrvB_gEE

cjb2283

Feb 1, 2016
Like with most things quality comes with a price. Check out Headlight Revolution on YouTube. They do a lot of testing of bulbs in different oem headlight housings so you can see the difference between a variety of bulbs. I was very surprised at how the big the difference is between beam patterns/brightness of different brands.

That is impressive! The only thing I have a question about now is whether or not they actually get brighter/dimmer when you flip between brights and dims. Or if the projector opens like gmduramax said.

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
That is impressive! The only thing I have a question about now is whether or not they actually get brighter/dimmer when you flip between brights and dims. Or if the projector opens like gmduramax said.

I’m not sure on the factory style projectors but most aftermarkets do mechanically switch to high beams.

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal

I’m not sure on the factory style projectors but most aftermarkets do mechanically switch to high beams.

The ones I didn’t see tested were the JDM astar. I get them on amazon for $60. I put them in a 08 Toyota 4 runner and a 2012 Ford Escape. They work well and you can adjust the position of the leds.

Like mentioned I know all aftermarket projectors do open up. Is the factory bulb dual filament?

ShopSpecialties

Jun 4, 2008
Grass Range, Montana
The 14-15 GMC Sierra projector headlight is a cool setup - it uses a single beam bulb (9012, 1 filament) but creates both your high and low beam patterns separately. The headlight accomplishes this by activating an internal solenoid that moves a cut off shield inside the projector. When the shield is up, you get a low beam pattern with a cut off line. When the shield is down and out of the way you get all the light and a wide flood high beam. This was the description @ Headlight Revolution.

snowman22

Jan 30, 2018
SoCal
I have a new saber set from DDM tuning to put in this weekend. Ill let you know how they work out.

I had a DOA bulb, but DDM was quick to replace it. The saber bulbs are twice as good as the two different Amazon ones I tried. I feel like they are as good as it’s going to get with projectors.

I would recommend them after having them in for a few days. But, I have no idea on the longevity, fingers crossed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk