LBZ 100hp tune?

07Duramaxx

Jan 22, 2015
Berlin, CT
In my personal opinion I don't see an issue. I towed a 16 foot enclosed trailer across the country on a 150 horse tune. Trans just went at 254k after installing a S369SXE about 2k miles ago. maybe I got lucky but thats me putting 100k miles on the truck since purchase and beating it like a red headed step child.

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
In my personal opinion I don't see an issue. I towed a 16 foot enclosed trailer across the country on a 150 horse tune. Trans just went at 254k after installing a S369SXE about 2k miles ago. maybe I got lucky but thats me putting 100k miles on the truck since purchase and beating it like a red headed step child.

You didn’t get lucky, you just ain’t doing it right.

dk2429

May 30, 2017
Texas
I don't understand why y'all are trying to sell me on transmission builds. How much more can i explain this ? What is a programmer or switch where i can put the truck back on stock when towing? I don't have time nor cash for a transmission build. I'm working out of town starting next week and towing for the next 2 months. All I want is for someone to tell me an apparatus to pull the ****ing tune out of the truck with an 8,000lb rig on the rear.... This isn't a race truck. Im actually using it for what it was built for.... I know y'all like building your trucks up to hot rod them and haul ass, but that's not my objective. I'm going to talk to the shop Monday about a switch or something, im just trying to get some input in advance. If we can't figure something out of the shop im just gonna tell them to put that sob back on stock and give me my $$$ back for the tune i didn't even ask for.

Last edited:

07Duramaxx

Jan 22, 2015
Berlin, CT
I don't understand why y'all are trying to sell me on transmission builds. How much more can i explain this ? What is a programmer or switch where i can put the truck back on stock when towing? I don't have time nor cash for a transmission build. I'm working out of town starting next week and towing for the next 2 months. All I want is for someone to tell me an apparatus to pull the ****ing tune out of the truck with an 8,000lb rig on the rear.... Will a CTS2 do what I need?

EFI live with a 20-30 horse tow tune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
I don't understand why y'all are trying to sell me on transmission builds. How much more can i explain this ? What is a programmer or switch where i can put the truck back on stock when towing? I don't have time nor cash for a transmission build. I'm working out of town starting next week and towing for the next 2 months. All I want is for someone to tell me an apparatus to pull the ****ing tune out of the truck with an 8,000lb rig on the rear.... This isn't a race truck. Im actually using it for what it was built for.... I know y'all like building your trucks up to hot rod them and haul ass, but that's not my objective. I'm going to talk to the shop Monday about a switch or something, im just trying to get some input in advance. If we can't figure something out of the shop im just gonna tell them to put that sob back on stock and give me my $$$ back for the tune i didn't even ask for.

You need a tune with the egr delete or you will have an engine light. Just have them install a different tune

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal

Why don’t you lookup what a transgo jr is you stupid ****. Nobody is trying to sell you anything. You asked if it was safe, it’s not.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
What you dont understand is it is not just towing that will destroy your transmission. It is the increase in HP that will do it. Towing only hastens the process.

Putting a switch or whatever you think you need to do will not save it. Your best bet is to leave it stock if you don't want to build up the transmission. If you still want extra power then go with something mild like a ~30HP tow tune and be done with it.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
If you like your PPEI tunes and don't want to go back to that shop, look a buying an Autocal with an optimized stock tune and a couple tow tunes. You don't NEED to put a switch in (you'll just have to shut the truck down to load a new tune) and IMO 5 tunes is pointless with a stock trans.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Isn't this forum way beyond this crap? Next we'll be discussing how often to change the spin on filter.:confused:

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Nobody here was trying to sell you anything. From literally years of experience, everyone here was trying to SAVE you from having to spend big money down the road based on what you're going to do with the truck. But you dont want to hear that.

Look, there is a right way and a wrong way to go about mods with these trucks. You were choosing the wrong way. The guys here know that. Also, this is a performance-based forum, so our opinions/answers will skew that direction. So think about that....

Yep, it'll still cost money no matter which direction you take....and nothing in this world is free. But its certainly a lot less money than if you screw up your trans and have to build it. Just put in a 40hp tow tune (with EGR delete) and leave the rest of the truck alone.

But WTF do any of us know? Im done. Good luck.

Last edited:

XLT GUY

Jun 14, 2020
Nobody here was trying to sell you anything. From literally years of experience, everyone here was trying to SAVE you from having to spend big money down the road based on what you're going to do with the truck. But you dont want to hear that.

Look, there is a right way and a wrong way to go about mods with these trucks. You were choosing the wrong way. The guys here know that. Also, this is a performance-based forum, so our opinions/answers will skew that direction. So think about that....

Yep, it'll still cost money no matter which direction you take....and nothing in this world is free. But its certainly a lot less money than if you screw up your trans and have to build it. Just put in a 40hp tow tune (with EGR delete) and leave the rest of the truck alone.

But WTF do any of us know? Im done. Good luck.
I am contemplating a 40 hp tow tune, BD PMT, wondering if I am happy with the stock 360HP LBZ, what will I really gain, was thinking on doing this for daily driving, and then towing the 4000 lb Travel trailer, go back to stock. I know the relearn is not good too, so I am wondering what you think. thanks!

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I am contemplating a 40 hp tow tune, BD PMT, wondering if I am happy with the stock 360HP LBZ, what will I really gain, was thinking on doing this for daily driving, and then towing the 4000 lb Travel trailer, go back to stock. I know the relearn is not good too, so I am wondering what you think. thanks!

You may gain a smidge of MPG. It may also help with holding 6th better going up hills instead of hunting. But if you are happy with the power now then stay stock. Transmission relearn is not bad. Just be easy on it for a bit until it learns the new power level. It should relearn stock tuning pretty fast. It's the messed up tuning that makes it harder for the transmission to learn

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Just start putting money aside for a rebuild a few years down the road. If you are nice to it, and maybe a little luck, it will last just long enough for you to have the money needed to get it built.

How you treat it will greatly determine how long it will last. Try not mashing the peddle while its in 5th or 6th. Ease into it and let it downshift before giving it more
^^^^^This
Converter won’t like it for long.
My luck I’d break a crank first.

gc427

A Little Black Smoke
Jul 6, 2008
Glendale, AZ
Not sure why the OP would ask for “opinions” and get upset because the “opinions expressed” didn’t fit in that desired space.

Talk to the tuner or shop that installed the tune and ask their “opinion?”