Leak

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Well, I've had some misfortune with my trans. I had the tail housing crack on me - or so I thought. So I had it replaced only to not be able to find any visible cracks in it. Trans had dumped a load of ATF out in a short period of time (about 10 miles) which happened previously. The first time this fried my trans so I had it built. I just figured the same thing had happened again even though I had installed the SunCoast bracket which I thought would prevent the case from cracking again - and maybe it did.

Anyways, I've finally got my truck back Fri. after a month (saving money and then getting it done) and it's still leaking somewhere between the transmission and transfer case. I had an allison deep pan installed at the time and in about 100 miles since getting it back, it's leaked enough fluid to be at the low end of the hatched area on the dip stick for checking when cold. It held 19-20 qts initially. Is that right? Didn't seem right to me. Maybe it's over filled and leaking out somewhere??? Is there a gasket or something in there I need to check? Maybe it's just not tightened up good?

Also, the transfer case was bone dry when they pulled it to replace the tail housing. I checked for pump rub but it isn't that. Any thoughts on this???

Where can I get dye at to put in the fluid to see where the trans is leaking???

Thanks for the help. This is wearing me out. :eek:

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Let me try to clarify....

Transmission had leaked a large amount of fluid in driveway and all the way until it would hardly move under it's own power. At this time, I checked the level and it was at the very tip of the dipstick so there was still some in it but it was definitely low. Now, at this time, I had no idea the transfer case was also empty as my truck has never leaked a drop of anything ever. I was informed of this detail when I had my truck worked on.

Now that I've got it back with a new tail housing and deep pan, it's still leaking from somewhere near the back of the transmission. The transmission is low on fluid again. I haven't rechecked the transfer case.

Hope that clears it up a little bit.

C-ya

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Bump...

Note, it still seems to be leaking a little but the spots left from leaking are smaller than the once were. I checked the trans fluid hot, and it was in the middle of the hot area.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Call me in the morning and we can discuss some things and get to the bottom of the problem.