Is a big single turbo right for you

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
Little slow at work so I thought I would mention the turbos I've ran if anyone is on the fence about a big single. This is on a LMM stock heads with springs, SoCal 6460 cam.
First turbo I ran was a Box stock S475 83 turbine 1.0AR definitely not the stock turbo, the turbo would start to come alive around 2500 rpm Usually the rpm I would launch at. this turbo made 783hp on a SuperFlow. Trapped 118mph weighing 7000Lbs
Second turbo was a BMW S480 87 turbine 1.0 AR from Brian. This turbo with the K converter was a lot of fun it would start to come alive 2400 rpm. Trapped 124mph.
Next turbo was a down grade to a box stock S480 87 turbine 1.0 AR this one would come alive around 2700rpm I think I trapped 125mph with a lot of smoke, I went up in injector size or else this turbo probably would have trapped lower than the BMW. This one actually sucked to daily drive lol.
Now onto my favorite so far Ball bearing BMW S480 87 turbine 1.25 AR This turbo comes alive at 2200rpm and comes on hard and is fun to drive. I get a little more haze before spool because of the larger AR but this thing makes power, haven't ran it at the track or dynoed it but it moves. I think with a 1.0 AR this turbo could make 1100hp and be a very good daily driver.

I would say a stock turbo comes alive about 1700/1800 rpm, so it is possible to have a daily driver with a big single. Hopefully this helps anyone if they didn't want to run twins.

Reactions: DAVe3283

08lmm72mm

May 13, 2019
Saskatchewan, Canada
Couple questions. Did you use the same K converter with each turbo? What rpm was each turbo shifting at, like did you raise the shift points alot higher than stock or? I like this post, been itching to goto a fixed vane for awhile.

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
Couple questions. Did you use the same K converter with each turbo? What rpm was each turbo shifting at, like did you raise the shift points alot higher than stock or? I like this post, been itching to goto a fixed vane for awhile.
Ohhhh it’s been a while about 8 years in between all that. The rpm I gave was when I launched or had the converter locked to take the difference in converters out.

When I ran the S475 I believe I had a shitty precision converter, didn’t couple very well so it was easier to keep the rpm’s up. If I remember correctly I ran the BMW S480 shortly before getting the K converter and that actually made the S480 come on sooner even though it coupled harder. The only changes were made to the shift points at WOT I believe I shifted at 3600 part throttle stayed stock.

Before I installed the box stock S480 I had mike throw in an L converter not really sure but I could stall it to 3300 I believe (I was planning on going to a 96 turbine and running more rpm) I did raise the shift points at part throttle for this turbo

Had Mike throw in a K converter before I put on the Ball bearing BMW S480. This new one feels a hair tighter than my original and it’s hard to come up on the turbo while launching. A tighter AR and even turbo blankets would take care of that no problem. I lowered my part throttle shift points back down to stock. Except for the 6>5 and 5>4

Also something interesting on the box stock S480 my friend gave me a shitty turbo blanket that looked like dog ears. I didn’t even secure it to the turbine just dropped it over. I could never spool the turbo in first gear without brake boosting it. After i set the blanket on it it would actually start to spool in first gear. I was amazed at how much it helped. It would be interesting to see the difference blanketing or ceramic coating manifolds, up pipes, pedestal and turbine housing

KyleC4

Tech
Dec 30, 2016
Bay Area
It would be interesting to see the difference blanketing or ceramic coating manifolds, up pipes, pedestal and turbine housing
Can you make this happen ? Or has anyone actually done this to chime in ? Another one of those curiosities I have. Good info here though.

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
Can you make this happen ? Or has anyone actually done this to chime in ? Another one of those curiosities I have. Good info here though.
Not with ceramic coating possibly with blankets. With how much just a shitty turbo blanket unsecured made everyone should be running blankets even on stock turbos

KyleC4

Tech
Dec 30, 2016
Bay Area
Not with ceramic coating possibly with blankets. With how much just a shitty turbo blanket unsecured made everyone should be running blankets even on stock turbos
Thats why I had Levi make mine. I’m wondering just how much turbo can you make up for with blanketing. How much lag can be helped before other changes are necessary.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin

My S480/96/1.10 T6 spooled pretty decently with blankets on the manifolds/up-pipes/turbine housing and a ceramic coated pedestal. I could throttle chop the truck at elevation and it came right back up without any hesitation going from ~50psi>3psi>50psi.

Reactions: KyleC4 and Leadfoot

wydopenLb7

Mar 10, 2023
California
Sorry to bump old threads but I was browsing and came across this. Was wondering on the ceramic coat vs blankets/header wrap. Coincidentally I just "ceramic coated" (rustoleum product) the exhaust housing on the atmospheric turbo I'm going to be installing. I also have a blanket for it and header wrap for the downpipe and crossover pipe from valley turbo.

Does anyone know if there are any diy products that make an actual difference? The rustoleum stuff just looks like flat paint. I just bought it for cosmetic purposes since they claimed it held up to 2000*

Sounds like it is worth wrapping the up-pipes as well which I wasn't planning on doing.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Sorry to bump old threads but I was browsing and came across this. Was wondering on the ceramic coat vs blankets/header wrap. Coincidentally I just "ceramic coated" (rustoleum product) the exhaust housing on the atmospheric turbo I'm going to be installing. I also have a blanket for it and header wrap for the downpipe and crossover pipe from valley turbo.

Does anyone know if there are any diy products that make an actual difference? The rustoleum stuff just looks like flat paint. I just bought it for cosmetic purposes since they claimed it held up to 2000*

Sounds like it is worth wrapping the up-pipes as well which I wasn't planning on doing.
There are many coatings that actually work as a thermal barrier but none in my experience work as well as a high quality blanket. Jet Hot is a great coating for people not wanting to run a blanket.