Aluminum Transfer case half

BIG PHIL

32 valve
Aug 24, 2011
Weatherford Texas
I have a hole in my transfer case from pump rub. I've been doing some research and was pretty much set on the kit from Merchant with the case half and pump rub kit, but I came across this aluminum transfer case half. Has anybody used one of these or known anyone that used one? If so how did you/they like it? Any advice would be appreciated.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/263-XHD-REA...Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cb9959bc2&vxp=mtr

duramaxzak

Wanna be puller!
Nov 22, 2008
Minnesota
I have used one of these aftermarket aluminum back halfs and it fit perfect. Came with bushing and bearing installed already. The one I bought also said pump rub kit would not work with it.

BIG PHIL

32 valve
Aug 24, 2011
Weatherford Texas
I have used one of these aftermarket aluminum back halfs and it fit perfect. Came with bushing and bearing installed already. The one I bought also said pump rub kit would not work with it.

Yes, that's awesome! Do you remember where you got it? Did you have any pump rub issues after you installed it?

mreeves23

Big Hog Customs, LLC
Sep 15, 2011
Poseyville, IN
Mike, with the aluminum case half, do you install any type of pump rub upgrade/prevention kit or just strictly swap the rear housing? This is great info and would be a great upgrade for those w/ a hole in their housing already if it's just swap the housing half out.

02Dmaxdually

May 16, 2011
Havelock, NC
I also run a full aluminum rear case half. I bought mine from Transfer Case Express.
With the aluminum rear case half there is no need to install a pump rub fix nor is there enough room.

Tips on getting the old off. With the "special" snap ring pliers; on the tips of them cut two small pieces of vacuum hose and slide it over each tip. It makes it 10 times easier to remove the snap ring.

Purchase the magnetic drain plug and remove the magnetic that is inside the case.

If you have any other questions PM me.

02Dmaxdually

May 16, 2011
Havelock, NC
I just realized that that company for that link is Transfer Case Express. Call them and order it. Also pick up a rear output seal. They sell GM output seals for $10..

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
I believe this is nothing but an 08-10 rear half. When MAGNA POWER took over NEW PROCESS in 06, they changed over to aluminum IIRC. And people are just simply swapping in the new style cover. Make sure and use a GOOD RTV in between them as you want to isolate the dissimilar metals from each other. The aluminum should be fine, but the magnesium front half could start to corrode from it.

BIG PHIL

32 valve
Aug 24, 2011
Weatherford Texas
If it was run dry you will also need the nylons for the shift forks at a minimum. You won't know if you need bearings until you get it apart.

Thanks, I ordered a rebuild kit with all the bearings and seals and chain in it. I'll see if it has the nylons.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2