4x4 Will Not engage

j.stanton2009

So Long Space Cowboy...
Aug 18, 2010
Climax Tx
I have a 2008 2500HD with electronic 4 wheel drive.
I have replaced the front axle actuator (yesterday).
While the engine is off: I turn the knob to 4hi or 4lo, you can hear the transfercase engage and the front axle actuator "whir" into action.
If i turn it to 4lo, the transfercase engages and every seems to work as it should; however in 4hi or 4lo the front wheels wont spin...

Which is currently problematic because I kinda got stuck in my back yard while checking the feeders.

Any ideas as what the problem could be?

j.stanton2009

So Long Space Cowboy...
Aug 18, 2010
Climax Tx
The front driveshaft DOES spin while locked in.
I would imagine that it's something mechanical; since I replaced the actuator on the front axle

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
So the front driveshaft does spin, but neither of the front tires spin? (only one tire will spin on a stock truck)

If so, then the new actuator must not be connecting things internally, or there is damage to the front diff. What directions did you follow for the actuator replacement? Do those directions have any tests/troubleshooting?

j.stanton2009

So Long Space Cowboy...
Aug 18, 2010
Climax Tx
No sir. Like several other projects on my to do list; it has been "back-burnered" in the wake of my career.

Do you have any thoughts on this? I'm fresh out.

My friend at the chevy house is gonna just "rebuild" the axle at some point

mackthehack

DUH...
Apr 16, 2007
You've heard the actuator in the front diff function, correct? Have you tried cycling the 4wd buttons with the actuator out of the housing and still plugged in to verify that it actually functions properly? If not try that.