Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 12-03-2008, 12:40 PM
Diesel Hotrodder

Truck: 05 GMC EC/SB 2500HD
Engine: Duramax LLY
Transmission: Automatic

Default BPU List for LLY's

BPU stands for Basic Performance Upgrades. These are modifications that don't require engine disassembly. Here is my list of basic power mods:
  • Tuning - EFILive, PPE, or custom tunes. All can take you to the 500rwhp area, I like starting out with an EFILive tune, then adjusting it on the dyno for a specific truck. This is the ultimate Bang-For-The-Buck mod for LLY's.
  • 4" exhaust - or a 5", it will normally be worth about 15rwhp on a tuning only truck. The biggest restriction will be the factory muffler.
  • Downpipe - While it shows small gains at 2000-3000, by the time you get to 3400, it will show 15hp when using a 4" exhaust.
  • Shimmed FPRV - You will need this to hold rail pressure with big tuning. Period. You can use a race valve to the same effect.
  • EGR blocker - in order to run more than 25PSI boost, you need to keep the EGR valve from being forced open.
  • Lift pump - While it might not show up on a dyno, it is worth .1-.3 seconds off your quarter mile times.
  • Intake - The factory one is pretty good. Pulling the headlight is about as effective as any normal aftermarket filter. But the ram air systems show solid gains at the dragstrip. Banks is the only mfr that I'm aware of.
  • PCV reroute - Jury is out on it's HP effect, but seems to help get big numbers.
  • Ported Regulator - Has show an average 20rwhp on BPU trucks, will show more with big chargers.
  • LBZ intake neck - No drag tests yet, but it is believed it's one of the reasons LBZ's are putting out more power than LLY's.
  • 3" intercooler tubes - Not commercially available yet, nor is data available. They can't hurt, and probably help.
  • Aftermarket intercooler - While I didn't find a 1/4mi improvement, many report lower EGT's.
  • Transmission upgrade - As soon as you pass 400rwhp you are living on borrowed time. You will need a minimum of a converter, C3's, and valving kit.

2005 GMC 2500HD LLY "Casper"- LLY O/S 8758. 10.59 @ 129. EFILive "2CP3" Tuning, Mike L Suncoast Trans. PPE Dual CP3's, GT4202R.
2004.5 GMC 3500 SRW LLY "Big Blue" - LLY O/S 1668. 13.12@103. Powered by PPE/VA with Mike L Suncoast Trans.
2006 GMC 2500HD CC/SB LBZ "Wendy"- LBZ O/S 6128. 12.50 @ 107.x. EFILive tuning, Mike L trans.
Pat and Kat McSwain
"Casper" - Record Holder, Bonneville & El Mirage. Best Clocked Speed 197mph, Bonneville '09.
"World's Fastest Production Diesel Pickup - 174.586mph"
Old 12-03-2008, 03:28 PM
Dodge Destroyer

Truck: 2006 Chevy CC/SB
Engine: 6.6 ltr Duramax LLY
Talking What about LBZ's

IS this list the same for LBZ,s or do you recommend other mods ,also what brands do you recommend and why
2006,6.6 liter LBZ, Ready Lift Leveled, 285 bfg's, AFE stage 2 intake, MBRP 4" straight( no muffler), EGR blocked, EFI LIVE ( SPADE KING TUNER) AND DSP5 switch. PCV re route, PPE rail fitting, Fprv shim kit, Raptor lift pump, Transgo Jr, PPE Gauges, Pyro, Boost, Fuel psi.
Old 12-03-2008, 04:18 PM
Im the ONLY Okie..

Truck: 2007 Classic CC/SB
Engine: LBZ

Thanks Pat, Great info for noobs like me.. I understand all of them, except one

Ported Regulator - Has show an average 20rwhp on BPU trucks, will show more with big chargers.

Is this the same as a Ported Fuel Rail Fitting? Like that one PPE offers, and I saw for sale on here that someone had done themselves?

Special Thanks to Jim @ Upstate Diesel, Johnny (Gasuout), 2500HeavyDuty, and everyone else in my ongoing learning process!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L. View Post
No one that drives a Cummins has ever experienced an erection longer than an 1/8 mile. They either crash or break; either way it is deflation.
Old 12-03-2008, 04:40 PM
Diesel Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmetal6.6 View Post
IS this list the same for LBZ,s or do you recommend other mods ,also what brands do you recommend and why
I will make a list for the other trucks too.

If you have a specific part or brand question, I will try and answer it. I've tested many different brands and types of products.

2005 GMC 2500HD LLY "Casper"- LLY O/S 8758. 10.59 @ 129. EFILive "2CP3" Tuning, Mike L Suncoast Trans. PPE Dual CP3's, GT4202R.
2004.5 GMC 3500 SRW LLY "Big Blue" - LLY O/S 1668. 13.12@103. Powered by PPE/VA with Mike L Suncoast Trans.
2006 GMC 2500HD CC/SB LBZ "Wendy"- LBZ O/S 6128. 12.50 @ 107.x. EFILive tuning, Mike L trans.
Pat and Kat McSwain
"Casper" - Record Holder, Bonneville & El Mirage. Best Clocked Speed 197mph, Bonneville '09.
Old 12-03-2008, 04:42 PM
Diesel Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilfield_Mafia View Post
Thanks Pat, Great info for noobs like me.. I understand all of them, except one

Ported Regulator - Has show an average 20rwhp on BPU trucks, will show more with big chargers.

Is this the same as a Ported Fuel Rail Fitting? Like that one PPE offers, and I saw for sale on here that someone had done themselves?

A Ported Fuel Pressure Regulator plugs in the back of your CP3 to increase max fuel flow from the pump. The ported fuel rail removes a restriction in the rail. I should have listed that also, even though I didn't gain anything when I tested.

Pat and Kat McSwain
Old 12-03-2008, 04:44 PM
Im the ONLY Okie..

Truck: 2007 Classic CC/SB

Thanks Pat! I cant wait to see what you have listed in the LBZs..

Special Thanks to Jim @ Upstate Diesel, Johnny (Gasuout), 2500HeavyDuty, and everyone else in my ongoing learning process!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L. View Post
No one that drives a Cummins has ever experienced an erection longer than an 1/8 mile. They either crash or break; either way it is deflation.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:10 AM
Back with his honey :)

Truck: LLY
Engine: LLY

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRat View Post
A Ported Fuel Pressure Regulator plugs in the back of your CP3 to increase max fuel flow from the pump. The ported fuel rail removes a restriction in the rail. I should have listed that also, even though I didn't gain anything when I tested.
I did the ported fuel rail fitting at the same time as the 68mm Cheetah, so also was hard for me to tell and I did the fuel regulator about the same time as the 71.5mm Cheetah, so once again, hard to tell how much it helped

Member # 270

Old 12-05-2008, 08:30 AM
Hotrodder

Truck: 2002 GMC
Engine: LB7

Quote:
BPU stands for Basic Performance Upgrades. These are modifications that don't require engine disassembly. Here is my list of basic power mods:
  • Tuning - EFILive, PPE, or custom tunes. All can take you to the 500rwhp area, I like starting out with an EFILive tune, then adjusting it on the dyno for a specific truck. This is the ultimate Bang-For-The-Buck mod for LLY's.
  • 4" exhaust - or a 5", it will normally be worth about 15rwhp on a tuning only truck. The biggest restriction will be the factory muffler.
  • Lift pump - While it might not show up on a dyno, it is worth .1-.3 seconds off your quarter mile times.
  • Intake - The factory one is pretty good. Pulling the headlight is about as effective as any normal aftermarket filter. But the ram air systems show solid gains at the dragstrip. Banks is the only mfr that I'm aware of.
  • Ported Regulator - Has show an average 20rwhp on BPU trucks, will show more with big chargers.
  • Aftermarket intercooler - While I didn't find a 1/4mi improvement, many report lower EGT's.
  • Transmission upgrade - As soon as you pass 400rwhp you are living on borrowed time. You will need a minimum of a converter, C3's, and valving kit.
You could apply these to LB7s plus

Adjustable Wastegate-BD or Banks
BD Manifold
Remove Intake heater
fuel pickup
Bay State Diesels
Old 12-05-2008, 09:59 AM
I'm officially done!

Truck: 2005 Chevy CCSB
Engine: 6.6 Dmax

Quote:
LBZ intake neck - No drag tests yet, but it is believed it's one of the reasons LBZ's are putting out more power than LLY's.
I think this is one of the best mods for the $ I have ever done. My truck is much snappier around town and more fun to drive now. It may not be a large increase in overall HP, but it definitely drives better and spools quicker than a stock LLY (the 2 stroke of Dmax's).

Thanks to Fleece, Genes Machine Shop, Tim, 05LLY, Bullfrog, Simon, .......

Remote mount turbo, Electric Water Pump, Cheetah turbo - Member #1
Old 09-07-2009, 08:26 AM
Gearhead

Truck: 2005 CC/SB

Great list! I've been looking for a shopping list like this. I just ordered the Banks Ram Air w/superscoop and the cat-back Monster Exhaust. I asked them if the cat is still a big restriction, and they said "Not as much as you would think". Would it benefit me to buy a front pipe and down pipe? These are the only things I have done so far. I will be doing EFI or Banks Six-Gun/Economind in the near future. I won't race or pull. I just tow the camper and haul the family.

Mark

Banks Six-Gun with Power PDA (Thanks Zach!)
Banks Monster Exhaust
Banks Ram Air w/Superscoop
LBZ Turbo inlet
Prodigy, Raider cap, Luvern stainless running boards, Wade window louvers, Wade hood deflector
'06 TSB (complete LBZ intake system) on the shelf

U.S. Air Force Retired/Disabled Vet
Old 09-07-2009, 09:17 AM
Tiny

Not a huge restriction, but I pulled mine few weeks ago and there is a little bit quicker spool and maybe a little better pedal response. Not too mention it sounds 10 times better. No downpipe yet so I cant say anything about that.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:49 AM
Back with his honey :)

Truck: LLY

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05smoker View Post
I think this is one of the best mods for the $ I have ever done. My truck is much snappier around town and more fun to drive now. It may not be a large increase in overall HP, but it definitely drives better and spools quicker than a stock LLY (the 2 stroke of Dmax's).
We put one on a totally stock truck, with the exception that it has a missing egr, a Fass lift pump and banks boost tubes..........he said no noticeable gain. This is runnning a mild EFI tune (stock transmission)

Member # 270

Old 04-22-2010, 05:34 PM
FNG

Who sells these??
Old 04-22-2010, 05:51 PM
SS Diesel Tuning

Truck: CC/SB

The ported rail? PPE sells one.

The modded regulator? Wicked Diesel sells one.

Old 11-19-2010, 01:26 PM
Hotrodder

Truck: DIRTTYMAXX 1

you can do the mod to the regulator your self if you dare. . . . .
down pipe,headers,up pipes,egr removed,locker front and rear,ats tranny,7" bull hauler stacks,custom 3" intercooler tubes,3" intake bridge,lots of polished parts 45% over injectors,head studs,LBZ turbo intake mod,custom 4" air intake with k/n filter,heads ported and polished by ME!,custom solid motor mounts,built cp3 pump from diesel injection