Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 09-13-2013, 06:18 PM
Triple Turbo LBZ

Truck: 2006 Chevy 2500HD
Engine: LBZ
Transmission: Automatic

Default Rear Brakes Wear Fast

Does anyone else have a problem with their rear brakes wearing ridiculously fast? I get about 15,000 miles out of mine rear brakes and 50,000 out of my front brakes. Also, when I go to change the pads, the rear rotors are usually cracked from the excessive heat. Even the after market ones I got 80,000 miles ago that were slotted were cracked so badly that the shop refused to put new pads on them. I have after market bigger brakes and rotors on the front that I have only changed once since that time, but i have replaced the rear about 4 or 5 times. I have now resorted to just buying new rotors/pads at Pep Boys because they are really cheap - rotors are only about $35 a piece - but still it is a pain in the rear.

So, obviously, I kind of drive fast (or like a "bat out of hell" to quote my wife). However, I still don't think the rear brakes should wear so quickly. Anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions? I have the motor out to get rebuilt now so it may be a good time to look into the issue.

Thanks!
2006 Chevy 2500 HD CCSB EPR Triple Turbos with a Cheetah 68, Turbosock, Air Dog II, Snow Performance MPG Max, EFI Live Tuning by Idaho Rob/Trent Nell, magnaflow converter, 4" Exhaust, EPR Stage Transmission with a SunCoast converter, and trans cooler from SunCoast/Mike L, Brake-man larger brakes up front with Brake man rotors/pads in the rear; 4" Cognito Lift with UCAs, heavy duty tie rods, front anti-sway bar, Pitman/Idler Arm Support Kit and steering braces, Zulastic shackles, Atlas Rear springs, air bags, and 285/65R20 BFG A/Ts on 20x9 BMFs.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:45 PM
Hotrodder

Truck: CC/SB LBZ

Sounds like something is defiantly wrong with your brake system. Can you get the fronts to lock up? Do they all lock up together or rear first?
Race build coming this winter
Old 09-13-2013, 07:12 PM
Hotrodder

Truck: CC/LB
Engine: LB7

How rusted are the sliders?

02 2500HD CC/LB dmax/alli "The Limo"

BIG THANKS TO: Mike L, Steve, Trent, Guy, Dan, Ruben, Josh H, Scott, and everyone else who has put a hand in to help me.

best time to date: 12.39

motor died/bent rods = 3/11/11
back from the dead 7:04pm 4/9/2012

driving a turboed Samurai now
Tailgate Crew Member #4
Old 09-16-2013, 10:36 AM
Triple Turbo LBZ

I can't get any of my brakes to lock (truck has anti-locks).

Rusted sliders may be an issue elsewhere, but not here in Las Vegas. I did find, however, that on my last change, that the slider grease was essentailly fried onto the slider. I guess that is just the excessive heat (and I may have used a cheaper grease without realizing it. Still doesn't change the fact that I have seen at least a couple of rotors spirdercrack does it? Would the heat from a pad that was wearing unevenly be sufficient to do that? Thanks.
2006 Chevy 2500 HD CCSB EPR Triple Turbos with a Cheetah 68, Turbosock, Air Dog II, Snow Performance MPG Max, EFI Live Tuning by Idaho Rob/Trent Nell, magnaflow converter, 4" Exhaust, EPR Stage Transmission with a SunCoast converter, and trans cooler from SunCoast/Mike L, Brake-man larger brakes up front with Brake man rotors/pads in the rear; 4" Cognito Lift with UCAs, heavy duty tie rods, front anti-sway bar, Pitman/Idler Arm Support Kit and steering braces, Zulastic shackles, Atlas Rear springs, air bags, and 285/65R20 BFG A/Ts on 20x9 BMFs.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:42 AM
Smell My Finger...

Truck: LESS AT THE MOMENT
Engine: Combustion
Transmission: Hybrid

It's pretty apparent that the rear brakes are dragging. Isn't there a way to test the ABS system with a TECH II? Thought I seen something like that but not 100%

Friend with a Dodge has the exact same issue but with the front. Never did figure it out

01 Big Dually (Gone but not forgotten)
05 Fat-Boy (gets it done)
83 CJ7 (slug but cool)
07 Audi A4 ( I like German Girls they're HOT!!)

LIFES JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE IN HEAVEN SAFELY IN A WELL PRESERVED BODY,
BUT RATHER TO SKID IN SIDEWAYS,
TOTALLY WORN OUT, SHOUTING,HOLY SHIT WHAT A RIDE!
Old 09-16-2013, 10:55 AM
Hotrodder

Only thing i can think of is sticking calipers but you would notice that when you compress the piston to put new pads in. something isnt letting the rear brakes release pressure after hitting the brakes. whens the last time the system had the brake fluid flushed?

BIG THANKS TO: Mike L, Steve, Trent, Guy, Dan, Ruben, Josh H, Scott, and everyone else who has put a hand in to help me.

Tailgate Crew Member #4
Old 09-16-2013, 11:25 PM
Gearhead

Truck: 2005 cc/sb k2500hd
Engine: LLY

Do you tow with a trailer brake controller or not?
Old 09-17-2013, 01:24 AM
MAN.... I Broke it again.

Truck: 07.5 CC/SB GMC
Engine: LMM

doing burnouts??? I'd find it hard to believe both rear brakes are dragging together, unless its something upstream, and if it's enough to make the pads wear that fast you shouldn't be able to spin the wheel freely if the ass end was off the ground. Try jacking up the rear and spinning the tires.

could be the ebrake be hung?
Dual Cp3's
Billet S480 over stock from Wehrli

The man behind the tuning is Idaho Rob
Old 09-17-2013, 01:42 AM
Gearhead

Truck: ECLB

if your master cylinder is bad it could be pushing all of your fluid to the rear brakes, if you feel like bleeding your brakes you good take the lines off of it and see if it sprays evenly.
superchevy01 lb7 8" lift, ECLB, 37" tires, Warn bumper, 5" exhaust into a single stack, Cold air intake, ported Fuel rail, boost valve, EFI Live DSP2 (MPG and HOLY S***), insight CTS, Fabtech tierods, cognito solid centerlink, pitman and idler arm braces

Future mods: Trans, Twins, 800+ horsepower......
Old 09-17-2013, 03:57 AM
Hotrodder

Truck: CCSB 4WD
Engine: LLY, LBZ

It sounds like your master cylinder is not releasing completely. Both front and rear. I have 160k on one truck (not a lot of trailer pulling) and 120K on my other both on original brakes and both still look new.

You could also have water in the master cylinder which is causing issues during and after braking.
EGR blocked. PCV rerouted. Resonator blocked (reinstalled for looks). Bladerunner installed. Dead kitty by MBRP (front pipe) and down tube replaced with the MBRP (heat wrapped from the turbo down to the front pipe).
Performax Gauges by ISSPRO in pod over mirror and overhead console (console pod by PPE). Mike L Transmission.
----Looking to do an onboard air with a set of truck air horns. Want Nathan K5LA's but not in the budget at the moment.----

Added to the family 06 GMC CCSB 2WD LBZ SLT package. Upgrades will follow.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:06 AM
Hotrodder

Truck: CC/SB LBZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappa9012 View Post
doing burnouts??? I'd find it hard to believe both rear brakes are dragging together, unless its something upstream, and if it's enough to make the pads wear that fast you shouldn't be able to spin the wheel freely if the ass end was off the ground. Try jacking up the rear and spinning the tires.

could be the ebrake be hung?
The e brake doesn't utilize the same surface as the brake pads. Instead of using the rotor it uses the inside of the rotor, similar to a drum brake. If it was hung it wouldn't be noticeable because you would go through the e brake pads in a very short time. I don't believe he is changing e brake pads just normal pads.
Race build coming this winter
Old 09-17-2013, 09:22 AM
Smell My Finger...

Truck: LESS AT THE MOMENT
Engine: Combustion
Transmission: Hybrid

I've seen OLD rubber brake lines cause the caliper to drag but IF you're developing that kind of heat to crack rotors as you describe I'd say the ABS is malfunctioning and holding pressure somehow in the rear. I'd run some ABS system checks.

01 Big Dually (Gone but not forgotten)
05 Fat-Boy (gets it done)
83 CJ7 (slug but cool)
07 Audi A4 ( I like German Girls they're HOT!!)

LIFES JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE IN HEAVEN SAFELY IN A WELL PRESERVED BODY,
BUT RATHER TO SKID IN SIDEWAYS,
TOTALLY WORN OUT, SHOUTING,HOLY SHIT WHAT A RIDE!
Old 09-17-2013, 09:30 AM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACKIN View Post
I've seen OLD rubber brake lines cause the caliper to drag but IF you're developing that kind of heat to crack rotors as you describe I'd say the ABS is malfunctioning and holding pressure somehow in the rear. I'd run some ABS system checks.
this is what im thinking but ive seen a brake fluid flush clean issues like this up.

Tailgate Crew Member #4
Old 09-17-2013, 09:37 AM
MAN.... I Broke it again.

Truck: 07.5 CC/SB GMC
Engine: LMM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cknight199 View Post
The e brake doesn't utilize the same surface as the brake pads. Instead of using the rotor it uses the inside of the rotor, similar to a drum brake. If it was hung it wouldn't be noticeable because you would go through the e brake pads in a very short time. I don't believe he is changing e brake pads just normal pads.
good to know
Dual Cp3's
Billet S480 over stock from Wehrli

The man behind the tuning is Idaho Rob
Old 09-18-2013, 11:35 AM
Triple Turbo LBZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifteddirty View Post
if your master cylinder is bad it could be pushing all of your fluid to the rear brakes, if you feel like bleeding your brakes you good take the lines off of it and see if it sprays evenly.
Something like this is what I have essentially thought all along. Truck always seemed to stop pretty well, but as I said before I have the bigger brakes on the front so that may have compensated somewhat for not getting sufficient pressure to the front calipers?

I flushed the brake fluid about 1-2 years ago, and it did make a big difference on pedal feel, but I don't think it made any difference on wear.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. They are appreciated!