Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 10-03-2012, 04:18 PM
FNG

Truck: 3500HD DRW CC 4x4
Default Engine block heater cord location

My spec sheet says I have the engine block heater installed K05. I look in the glove box and it says K05 too on the tag but I can't find the plug. I looked next to the passenger side battery but no cord. Am I supposed to have one installed if it says it in the spec sheet and glove box? It does not state that on my window sticker. Can anyone advise?

Thanks,
GL

2012 3500HD Silverado LTZ Dually 4x4

Previous:
2011 Silverado 1500 LT Florida Edition 4x4
2006 Suburban LTZ 4x4
Old 10-03-2012, 04:35 PM
FNG

Truck: 3500HD DRW CC 4x4

Forget I asked! Apparently you can't go by where the owners manual says it is. I tell people all the time Google is your friend and I violated my own rule. After looking at pics on the net it is apparently zip tied to the engine DEEP under the airbox...stupid me...lol.

2012 3500HD Silverado LTZ Dually 4x4

Previous:
2011 Silverado 1500 LT Florida Edition 4x4
2006 Suburban LTZ 4x4
Old 10-03-2012, 05:38 PM
Dmax Nut

Truck: Big
Engine: Expensive
Transmission: Automatic

Trust me, you're not the only one that wasn't able to find it lol! It's hidden pretty well under there.

Nick

2001 Chevy 3500 Dually Reg. Cab Duramax/Allson...Stock other than a Juice Box

2008 Chevy 2500HD Duramax/Allison CC/SB with some more info to follow...
Old 10-03-2012, 05:52 PM
Team DMAX

Truck: EC/SB
Engine: LB7

X2 it took me a while back in the day
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=C5hjaXWL7Lc&app=m
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=I50uLx1...ture=c4-feed-u
HERS:2014 Cruze 2.0 TD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonestock View Post
Tits or tires its bound to give you trouble!😨
Old 10-03-2012, 08:59 PM
<--- slippery roads

Truck: duh
Engine: duh

You really dont even need the block heater. They will start fine in -30* without being plugged in.

Yes, plugging it in makes it so you get heat in the cab faster, but thats really the main benefit. If you're thinking you "need to plug it in just so it will start in the morning", you are incorrect.

Ben
2005 chevy dmax/allison - "HOT AND DANGEROUS" - built engine and trans with parts/advice/help from the best...MikeL.Trippin.Schulte.IdahoRob.TimHecker-St.JoeDiesel.McRat.juddski.dmaxfireman.BigDipper.M PI.Bobo.GMC-2002-DMAX.fingers.RickDLance.dmaxalliTech.EFILive...sor ry no times yet, I just wanted to reserve the truck-name

BT DieselWorks, LLC - Full transmission/engine builds - EFILive tuning - full service for GM gas/diesel trucks and SUVs - Allison lockup controllers - Allison tapshift kits - dmax/alli/GM gasser standalone harnesses - custom truck electronic gadgets

All products available for sale through our online store at www.btdieselworks.com

Be sure to "like" us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/BTDWorks
Old 10-03-2012, 11:43 PM
Turbo Todd

Truck: EC/SB 4x4
Engine: LBZ

Ben is right, they start very well in cold weather.

Personally I feel it's good to use a heater as it helps the truck reach temp faster (getting the oil temp up as quickly as possible is better for the motor).
2006 4x4 ecsb 6spd: Self built / tuned sideways s366 setup | DPC Converter / ATS co-pilot | hood stack | homebuilt lowering setup w/coilovers | Kennedy/BD filter | 951's | 250psi inj | Autometer/ISSpro | deep pan | sleeves | roll pan
12.61 @ 105.6mph - 5800ft (stock trans) this pass video

Parted out my car for a Pilot's License!!! Best decision I've made in a long time!
GravityKnightFlying
Old 10-03-2012, 11:46 PM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by duratothemax View Post
You really dont even need the block heater. They will start fine in -30* without being plugged in.

Yes, plugging it in makes it so you get heat in the cab faster, but thats really the main benefit. If you're thinking you "need to plug it in just so it will start in the morning", you are incorrect.

Ben
thats true for sure. but they idle like crap and sound terrible for the first minute or so.. i always thought that it was hard on a diesel to do that..
LBZ rods, ARP Head Studs, 475 over stock twins
4 Inch Turbo Back Straight Pipe
3 inch Downpipe
20" XD Monsters
Suncoast Gmax and Precision ML Converter - Built By Me
Airdog 165

Died 9/13/12 - broken valve
Born Again 12/16/12
Died again 1/9/13

2011 GMC Sierra SLT LML
stock- and staying that way
Old 10-04-2012, 06:51 AM
<--- slippery roads

Quote:
Originally Posted by AubleAK View Post
thats true for sure. but they idle like crap and sound terrible for the first minute or so.. i always thought that it was hard on a diesel to do that..
yeah LB7's might, because their glow plug system is much more dumb/basic than the newer trucks. (basically just 12v glow plugs that are tied to a heavy duty relay thats turned on for "X" seconds based on "Y" coolant temp)

But the LLY+ trucks have an electronic/solid-state "smart" glow plug system and are much better (glow plugs are 4.7v, individually temperature controlled with feedback, etc).

-25*, not plugged in, my glow plug light goes out and the truck is ready to start within ~4 seconds. LBZ's-LMM's are even better/faster, and LML's are faster/better yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1kLB9EbIdA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79UrF6COjsg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-JhQSF3mHo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIVatr34Yfo

AND...here is my own cold start video from my truck. This is with bigger injectors, without being plugged in, -7*(F), lower-than-stock compression, and on ONLY ONE BATTERY.

So for all the people with twins who think their truck wont start with only one battery, heres proof that it will. Disclaimer: cold-starting on only one battery is hard on the battery. The single battery in my truck was "dead" (stopped holding a charge/worn out) after a little less than 3 years (3 winters) of cold starts. So yes, they will start on one battery, but your battery life will be diminished.

Ben
2005 chevy dmax/allison - "HOT AND DANGEROUS" - built engine and trans with parts/advice/help from the best...MikeL.Trippin.Schulte.IdahoRob.TimHecker-St.JoeDiesel.McRat.juddski.dmaxfireman.BigDipper.M PI.Bobo.GMC-2002-DMAX.fingers.RickDLance.dmaxalliTech.EFILive...sor ry no times yet, I just wanted to reserve the truck-name

BT DieselWorks, LLC - Full transmission/engine builds - EFILive tuning - full service for GM gas/diesel trucks and SUVs - Allison lockup controllers - Allison tapshift kits - dmax/alli/GM gasser standalone harnesses - custom truck electronic gadgets

All products available for sale through our online store at www.btdieselworks.com

Old 10-04-2012, 11:37 AM
wait, what?

Truck: 21 feet of awesome
Engine: pound7

I still would rather plug it in, but that is just me. Extreme cold makes the oil thick, has more drag on the starter, and has more wear on the engine. When I say extreme I mean below 0F. Maybe it is only saving me 5K miles on the engine, but I'd rather do that.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:13 PM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by adeso View Post
I still would rather plug it in, but that is just me. Extreme cold makes the oil thick, has more drag on the starter, and has more wear on the engine. When I say extreme I mean below 0F. Maybe it is only saving me 5K miles on the engine, but I'd rather do that.
X2. I always plug mine in if its below 20 degrees. One night i plugged my rig and the breaker popped and i had no idea. 7 am the next morning and i go to start my truck at 46 below zero, you can only imagine how that sounded. couldnt believe she even fired off.
LBZ rods, ARP Head Studs, 475 over stock twins
4 Inch Turbo Back Straight Pipe
3 inch Downpipe
20" XD Monsters
Suncoast Gmax and Precision ML Converter - Built By Me
Airdog 165

Died 9/13/12 - broken valve
Born Again 12/16/12
Died again 1/9/13

2011 GMC Sierra SLT LML
stock- and staying that way
Old 10-05-2012, 05:40 AM
<--- slippery roads

Quote:
Originally Posted by adeso View Post
Explain to me how the factory block [coolant] heater does anything to heat the oil.....

Plug your truck in overnight and then go put your hand on the oil pan in the morning. Ill bet you my lunch money the pan is still ice cold. If you're worried about your oil being thick, run a lower weight oil in the winter or run an oil pan heater.

Old 10-05-2012, 12:35 PM
wait, what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by duratothemax View Post
Explain to me how the factory block [coolant] heater does anything to heat the oil.....

Plug your truck in overnight and then go put your hand on the oil pan in the morning. Ill bet you my lunch money the pan is still ice cold. If you're worried about your oil being thick, run a lower weight oil in the winter or run an oil pan heater.
I do have a little magnet heater I throw on the pan when it is stupid cold, but your right, it doesn't do much, but I still believe that it would heat the block up just a little bit and bring the oil temp up quicker. I haven't had this truck in the extreme cold, but my ford 6.ohshit would have a much better start plugged in even just the block heater (well below 0F temps), and while the Chevy’s do better, I'm still going to plug mine it. I have a trimmer for lights that I use, have it turn on about 2-3 hours before I start the truck. I know some guys will put a trickle charger on the batter to help it out too. Mind you this isn't middle of the US, but Minot ND stuff.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:53 PM
Turbo Todd

Truck: EC/SB 4x4
Engine: LBZ

If the factory block heater heats up the iron of the engine itself, and raises the temp of the heads up, that will in turn bring the oil temp up faster. It 's not going to initially be warmer, but the oil won't be cold as long.

To really "do it right" I bought about 700w worth of oil pan heaters from Amazon. Couple on the oil pan and one on the trans pan.. To really get some heat in the oil quickly. And now that my block heater quit working, I 'm extra glad to have those...
2006 4x4 ecsb 6spd: Self built / tuned sideways s366 setup | DPC Converter / ATS co-pilot | hood stack | homebuilt lowering setup w/coilovers | Kennedy/BD filter | 951's | 250psi inj | Autometer/ISSpro | deep pan | sleeves | roll pan
12.61 @ 105.6mph - 5800ft (stock trans) this pass video

Parted out my car for a Pilot's License!!! Best decision I've made in a long time!
GravityKnightFlying
Old 10-05-2012, 05:08 PM
May the farce be with you

Hahahahah....
im such a bitch
Sometimes i plug mine in in the garage, and any time its below 30°
After i took the egr off it helps it to warm up faster, and my girls always want the "insta heat"
R.I.P stock LBZ died 2-17-2014
Build in progress...
Old 10-05-2012, 05:14 PM
wait, what?

If you guys don't have one...
http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?...llow&cId=PDIO1

Just watch the amerage, but from what I have seen only need an hour for 30s for hot air, and 3 hours for near 0 temps