Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 08-19-2012, 05:39 PM
Why not?

Truck: CC/SB
Engine: LB7
Transmission: Automatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingers View Post
Die on Board is used for space and heat dissipation.

Speaking of which, I don't see any thermal sinks or traces on the processor board. Not driving much other than signals. Even those look to be clamped and isolated.
True, they are not driving much. However, look at the row of 7 dies closest to the connector (not the bus between boards). Those look very much like FETs to me, and have fairly thick bond wires, as well as moderate pad sizes. The proximity to the connector and bypass caps would indicate these are driving something external to the TCM, at reasonable power levels. Nothing like the drive board.
Quote:
Now the drive board appears to be driving a fair bit. Note the pin cushion areas. Those are for either hi heat or noise reduction. Considering we can see some drivers soldered to them on this side. Chances are good there is another one the other side of the open pin cushion areas.
Yes, this board is sourcing/sinking a lot of current. Lots of heavily heat-sinked transistors and diodes down near the external connector. I would guess these are what run most of the solenoids in the transmission.

I see what appear to be two large magnetics at the far edge of the board (labeled 88Y15) surrounded by smoothing caps and reasonably large diodes. These appear to be DC-DC converters, probably buck converters. I would guess the small one (near the common bus) is to provided a reference 5V for sensors. Not sure what the larger one is for, unless they are favoring variable DC voltage over PWM for certain solenoids? It looks like it can push a lot of current.

Quote:
Now that I have looked a little closer I see there are several more Die on Board components than I thought. Two I recognize as dual OP-Amps.
I see what appears to be a general purpose micro, some memory (RAM or Flash, can't tell from the phots), and a more specialized micro (DSP or FPGA?). There really are a lot more, but that clear potting compound makes them hard to see. The ones that have me stumped are all the squares with the squircles (yes, that's a real thing, apparently) inside, and the small bond wire to the squircle on top.

I wouldn't mind getting that TCM under a scope for the fun of it. Or Ben, want to see if you can find something that safely dissolves the potting compound so we can get some better photos? Though the photos you got are remarkably good considering it is through the compound. Thanks for sharing them!
Old 08-22-2012, 10:37 AM
Village Idiot

Truck: EC/LB
Engine: LLY

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVe3283 View Post

I see what appears to be a general purpose micro, some memory (RAM or Flash, can't tell from the phots), and a more specialized micro (DSP or FPGA?). There really are a lot more, but that clear potting compound makes them hard to see. The ones that have me stumped are all the squares with the squircles (yes, that's a real thing, apparently) inside, and the small bond wire to the squircle on top.
Those are ferrite core inductors.

Pure square with a single center tap is probably a Cap, maybe a resistor.

The Three wire device has me a little stumped. I suspect it is an isolator of some sort.

'04.5 EC/LB 4x4.
Howard Rods w/ oiler hole.
Oval Chambers and valve reliefs cut in Mahle Cast Pistons. 17.5:1
SoCal Stage 2 heads, 3388 Cam, Billet Flywheel, and harmonic balancer.
Danville 68mm VVT Turbo
100 over injectors.
PPE Dual CP3s
ProFab Castflow headers and uppipes.
100 PSIA MAP Sensor
Kennedy dual lift pump.

Dynoed 690 HP / 1200 TQ
Old 08-22-2012, 12:29 PM
<--- slippery roads

Truck: duh
Engine: duh

The 5-speed TCM simply feeds all of the solenoids with a +12v source that is simply "tapped into" the +12v ignition circuit feeding the TCM. The "12v reference wires" going to the solenoids from the TCM are just internally spliced into +12v ign. And then the TCM provides the "control" via an internal low-side driver. The only solenoids that actually get a dedicated high-side driver are the two trim solenoids, because they are PPC solenoids. (more on that below).

Whereas the 6-speed TCM actually has both high side AND low side drivers to control ALL of the solenoids. The high-side drivers dont really do anything; they basically just supply +12v all the time and the low-side drivers to all of the work. The high-side drivers are just cycled on/off for 6 seconds at each startup/ignition cycle to check the integrity of the drivers and the solenoids/transmission harness wiring. Then, otherwise the high-side drivers just stay energized all the time.

I dont know why Allison did this (there was nothing wrong with just feeding the solenoids straight +12v ign power); probably just for better/more accurate circuit diagnostics...so the TCM can actually isolate and control ALL of the wiring going to the solenoids. And with an actual monitored high-side driver, you the TCM can monitor the circuits for both shorts to +12v and shorts to ground, and open circuits on BOTH sides.

And, the TCC solenoid on the 6-speed is not a standard PWM solenoid. Its a PPC (pressure proportionate to current) solenoid, so the TCM has to precisely monitor and control not only the PWM of the control circuit, but how much current is flowing through the TCC solenoid circuit.

Whereas the way the 5-speed TCM is wired/the way the solenoids are controlled (with the exception of trim a/b), the TCM can basically only run diagnostics on the "control" (low-side) side of the circuit.

I assume those two big square things are the two high-side drivers. They have to source a decent amount of current. The TCC solenoid alone can draw up to 2 amps or so.
2005 chevy dmax/allison - "HOT AND DANGEROUS" - built engine and trans with parts/advice/help from the best...MikeL.Trippin.Schulte.IdahoRob.TimHecker-St.JoeDiesel.McRat.juddski.dmaxfireman.BigDipper.M PI.Bobo.GMC-2002-DMAX.fingers.RickDLance.dmaxalliTech.EFILive...sor ry no times yet, I just wanted to reserve the truck-name

BT DieselWorks, LLC - Full transmission/engine builds - EFILive tuning - full service for GM gas/diesel trucks and SUVs - Allison lockup controllers - Allison tapshift kits - dmax/alli/GM gasser standalone harnesses - custom truck electronic gadgets

All products available for sale through our online store at www.btdieselworks.com

Be sure to "like" us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/BTDWorks
Old 08-22-2012, 01:05 PM
Diesel Hotrodder

Truck: 05 GMC EC/SB 2500HD
Engine: Duramax LLY

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBac View Post
...and to think, that TCM probably has more computing power than what took the astronauts to the moon and back. Pretty amazing all the computing power packed into that small case.
I used to have a Core Memory board like what was used for Apollo. This is what I remember (damn, I should have kept it):

It was 1,024 little donut magnets with 3 wires running through each one. It was about 10x10"? and cost over $1000 when new. It held 1024 bits of data, or 128 bytes.

To get as much RAM as is in my phone, would cost about $2 trillion dollars in 1969 currency, and would probably cover 67 square miles?

Dunno. Things change.

2005 GMC 2500HD LLY "Casper"- LLY O/S 8758. 10.59 @ 129. EFILive "2CP3" Tuning, Mike L Suncoast Trans. PPE Dual CP3's, GT4202R.
2004.5 GMC 3500 SRW LLY "Big Blue" - LLY O/S 1668. 13.12@103. Powered by PPE/VA with Mike L Suncoast Trans.
2006 GMC 2500HD CC/SB LBZ "Wendy"- LBZ O/S 6128. 12.50 @ 107.x. EFILive tuning, Mike L trans.
Pat and Kat McSwain
"Casper" - Record Holder, Bonneville & El Mirage. Best Clocked Speed 197mph, Bonneville '09.
"World's Fastest Production Diesel Pickup - 174.586mph"
Old 08-22-2012, 01:10 PM
<--- slippery roads

Truck: duh
Engine: duh

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRat View Post
I used to have a Core Memory board like what was used for Apollo. This is what I remember (damn, I should have kept it):

It was 1,024 little donut magnets with 3 wires running through each one. It was about 10x10"? and cost over $1000 when new. It held 1024 bits of data, or 128 bytes.

To get as much RAM as is in my phone, would cost about $2 trillion dollars in 1969 currency, and would probably cover 67 square miles?

Dunno. Things change.
yep! core rope memory. Ferrite magnets with wire going through them arranged into various strands, "coded" by hand.
2005 chevy dmax/allison - "HOT AND DANGEROUS" - built engine and trans with parts/advice/help from the best...MikeL.Trippin.Schulte.IdahoRob.TimHecker-St.JoeDiesel.McRat.juddski.dmaxfireman.BigDipper.M PI.Bobo.GMC-2002-DMAX.fingers.RickDLance.dmaxalliTech.EFILive...sor ry no times yet, I just wanted to reserve the truck-name

BT DieselWorks, LLC - Full transmission/engine builds - EFILive tuning - full service for GM gas/diesel trucks and SUVs - Allison lockup controllers - Allison tapshift kits - dmax/alli/GM gasser standalone harnesses - custom truck electronic gadgets

All products available for sale through our online store at www.btdieselworks.com

Be sure to "like" us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/BTDWorks
Old 08-22-2012, 01:26 PM
Got Sheep?

Truck: 2011 Chev CC SB 4X4
Engine: 6.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by paint94979 View Post
are we really sure the Apollo 11 mission even landed on the moon ???
Hence no need for an exotic computer.

Tuned by Idaho Rob.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:52 PM
The Still Master

Truck: 2002 CC/SB/4x4
Engine: 6.6 Duramax/LB7

I bet a wrist watch could put a man on the moon.

2007 GMC "Classic", LBZ, SLE1 ,RC/LB, 4x4
~Powered By "MOONSHINE"

12.525 at 107.07

2002-GMC Sierra 2500HD SLE/CC/SB/4X4~Powered By "MOONSHINE"
12.65 fuel only, 12.00 on some N20
Retired 04/18/2009...................SOLD 01/2014

Old 08-22-2012, 04:57 PM
Monster Maxx

Truck: 2002 Chevy duramax
Engine: lb7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM Motorsports View Post
Looks like a Wallmart parking lot, from an airplane...
hahahha i thought the same thing!

2002 LB7 (170,000)
EFI Live Toman Special
5" Single stack Exaust 3" turbo direct
Drivers side lml manifold
Air Dog II 165
Big Dipper Stage IV Trans/ ML converter
Trans case brace,pump rub kit
Cognito braces,and tie rod sleeves
Banks big Head /PPE boost valve
Auto meter Phantom Guages Pyro,Fuel,Boost
Intake horn mod,fprv mod,lbz fpr
mbrp hot side 3" ic pipe
H2's wrapped with 285/70/17 mastercraft courser at's
480rwhp/858tq 05/26/12
Stock turbo & sticks 540rwhp/1022tq 08/8/12
A SPECIAL THANKS TO:

Chris R,JustinD,JayF,Chachee,Jeremy holmes,Cody B,Derek B,Toman,George aka Big Dipper,&everyone else who got their hands dirty to get the truck to the level it is at!