Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 07-24-2012, 08:00 AM
broke my curse

Truck: EC
Engine: LLY/LBZ
Transmission: Automatic
Default Intermittent vibration at idle?

Ok, I know there has been a few topics like this before, but I would like to know why a lot of lly's have a motor shake at idle. It will go smooth for a few seconds then shake a faint bit and so on. Done this ever since I have had the truck, rail pressure is normal and doesn't jump at at all. Does anyone know for sure why this does this? My 06 Lly never had a intermittent vibration at idle. I see a lot of other people that have this issue as well. All with 04.5-05 lly's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-24-2012, 08:49 AM
Hotrodder

Truck: 2011 GMC 2500HD
Engine: LML

My LBZ has a vibration at idle that kind of goes in waves...it vibrates for a couple of secs...goes away for a sec then starts again. Sounds a lot like what you are describing.

2011 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Crew Cab...stock and staying that way.

2006 Silverado ECSB LBZ Suncoast Stage 3 w/ ML Converter Allison Deep pan, EFI Live DSP5, Castflow Manifolds, Profab up pipes with Blocker plate, Profab VVT Downpipe, Profab egr delete, MBRP 4 exhaust, Air Dog 100 with shimmed FPRV, S&B intake, Isspro Gauges, Sleeves, All Seasons centerlink brace, Rancho 9000 shocks, Sulastic Shackles, Boulder H2s, BF Goodrich Rugged Trail T/A 265/70-17

Died 12/4/2013 RIP

Semper Fi
Old 07-24-2012, 08:59 AM
<-----Lots of green $

Truck: cc/sb
Engine: lb7

Same here my lb7 does it at start up, but after warm it seams to go away

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinelvis11
i'll let you use anything i got except my wife and my truck; it's too easy to throw a rod in either one):h
Quote: Carter 44
Boost is like a hot girl with an STD...you know you want to hit it but your afraid of the consequences
rollncoal07:Twining is wining
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRat View Post

You come off as a Timeshare Condo salesman on this site.

If you were helping folk with problems, or asking for input on your problems, it might be different, but from where I see, you are only a little different than the Russian spammers selling iPads that we delete.

Act like more of a human, and less like a spambot, and you'd probably catch less heat. This is "family", and it's our corner bar, and a group of guys with grease all over them leaning over fenders of somebodies truck that ain't making the right boost.

It's also one of few sites with more hardcore wrenches and racers than wannabees.

You're welcome to be a member here, and post about your build, but don't expect people to shower you with roses yet. That comes with seat time on the site, and on the track.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:56 AM
broke my curse

Truck: EC
Engine: LLY/LBZ

Yeah I mean once it's warm it's there still but not bad at all. I wonder if it's just normal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-24-2012, 10:41 AM
Pushing my luck....

Truck: 07.5 GMC Sierra
Engine: LMM

My LMM has done this since it was new. I have 92k miles on it without problems. I loaded a 500+RWHP tune at 2K miles, compound turbos at 26K.

sent from my LG "Stupid" phone, using Tapatalk
PPE Dualfuelers
Old 07-24-2012, 11:09 AM
Hotrodder

I had this problem for a while too with my lb7. I found my crank pin was bent so I fixed that but to my surprise it still had a slight shake at idle. One thing I was always curious about that could cause a slight imbalance at idle is the fact the drivers side manifold is so restricted compared to the passenger side. I have read some people's truck idled smoother after doing a full bore manifold. I know it's a long shot to be the problem but just a thought.

Last edited by 07keo02; 07-24-2012 at 11:14 AM.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:19 AM
Hotrodder

I should add that I think the stock mounts (atleast mine) allow a lot of travel. I upgraded to the MA mounts and now it's more of a slight buzz than a shake. I was concerned of vibrations after the MA mounts because they're more solid but actually made it smoother for me. If I had the money right now I would try an LML manifold as I'm very curious to see if it would smooth out the idle at all.
EFI Live, Dual Nicktane adapters with CAT water separator and 2 micron filter, Raptor 150 Lift Pump with check valve bypass, Stock straight pipe, SBC dual disc, MA Engine and Trans Mounts, MA Pump Rub Kit, Profab Intake Horn, Roadmaster active suspension, Moog pitman/idler/support, cognito support kit, Rare parts tie rods, Intake heater delete, Kennedy high idle and airbox mod

Last edited by 07keo02; 07-24-2012 at 11:25 AM.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:46 PM
Turbo Todd

Truck: EC/SB 4x4
Engine: LBZ

I thought the TC can cause a vibration at idle too. I know triple discs are more prone to this, but my DPC single created a slight vibration that cycles at idle...
2006 4x4 ecsb 6spd: Self built / tuned sideways s366 setup | DPC Converter / ATS co-pilot | hood stack | homebuilt lowering setup w/coilovers | Kennedy/BD filter | 951's | 250psi inj | Autometer/ISSpro | deep pan | sleeves | roll pan
12.61 @ 105.6mph - 5800ft (stock trans) this pass video

Parted out my car for a Pilot's License!!! Best decision I've made in a long time!
GravityKnightFlying
Old 07-24-2012, 08:26 PM
<-----Lots of green $

Engine: lb7

I have rdl manifolds and uppipes so i dont believe thats going to make a differance as mine is still doing it

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinelvis11
i'll let you use anything i got except my wife and my truck; it's too easy to throw a rod in either one):h
Quote: Carter 44
Boost is like a hot girl with an STD...you know you want to hit it but your afraid of the consequences
rollncoal07:Twining is wining
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRat View Post

You come off as a Timeshare Condo salesman on this site.

If you were helping folk with problems, or asking for input on your problems, it might be different, but from where I see, you are only a little different than the Russian spammers selling iPads that we delete.

Act like more of a human, and less like a spambot, and you'd probably catch less heat. This is "family", and it's our corner bar, and a group of guys with grease all over them leaning over fenders of somebodies truck that ain't making the right boost.

It's also one of few sites with more hardcore wrenches and racers than wannabees.

You're welcome to be a member here, and post about your build, but don't expect people to shower you with roses yet. That comes with seat time on the site, and on the track.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:17 PM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk smoke lb7 View Post
I have rdl manifolds and uppipes so i dont believe thats going to make a differance as mine is still doing it
Yeah I figured it wouldn't be that easy I had just read a review where a guy said his truck idled smoother after a full bore manifold so it was a thought. I thought it might of been from my single mass flywheel but it's obviously happening in allison trucks too. The only other thing I had read was a bad belt tensioner can cause a shake as well but mine was replaced and its bearing was shot and I saw no difference.
EFI Live, Dual Nicktane adapters with CAT water separator and 2 micron filter, Raptor 150 Lift Pump with check valve bypass, Stock straight pipe, SBC dual disc, MA Engine and Trans Mounts, MA Pump Rub Kit, Profab Intake Horn, Roadmaster active suspension, Moog pitman/idler/support, cognito support kit, Rare parts tie rods, Intake heater delete, Kennedy high idle and airbox mod
Old 07-24-2012, 09:34 PM
Hotrodder

Engine: LBZ

Vibrations from what or where are u noticing it? I cant say i have ever had a vibration. Idles smooth and doesnt change. Im super picky and pick up on noises easy. I hate them. But im kinda lost on this one being there are so many of u guys having this issue. I have triple disc, twins, ect and dont notice a thing?
Built Stage v trans with georend converter
Allseason centerlink support and fabtech tierods
Mpi compounds(s480)
Street scene Roll pan
Bigchevyhitch custom receiver hitch and sled stops
Built motor coming soon
DIESELX
Old 07-24-2012, 10:22 PM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by arneson View Post
Vibrations from what or where are u noticing it? I cant say i have ever had a vibration. Idles smooth and doesnt change. Im super picky and pick up on noises easy. I hate them. But im kinda lost on this one being there are so many of u guys having this issue. I have triple disc, twins, ect and dont notice a thing?
Mine was more of a slight shake, like something out of balance. Could see the engine move side to side at an idle and my shifter (zf-6) was wobbling back and forth more than usual. Still did this with a new balancer/pin, new injectors and new fpr. What fixed it for me was the ma mounts. Obviously they didnt fix an unbalance but are more solid than stock and dont allow the engine to move much and in turn the shifter stays put.