Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 05-29-2012, 01:38 PM
Hotrodder

Truck: cc/sb
Engine: LBZ
Transmission: Automatic

Default Need help replacing leaf spring bushings.

I attempted to put my 3 inch drop shackles in over the weekend and ended up having to cut a couple of the bots and fully remove the springs from the truck. Upon doing so I noticed my leaf spring bushings are all cracked and should be replaced. Whats the best way to go about removing the old bushings? I was planning on replacing with energy suspensions poly bushings.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:02 PM
Finally underway !!!!!

Truck: 2001 duramax
Engine: 6.6 duramax lb7

I have always used a "shop press" , and pressed them out , I have heard of guys "burning" the rubber out and then using a hammer and chisel to get the metal sleeve out in a pinch but have never tried it .
01 DMAX 2500 HD = Extreme Prejudice -> EPR Triple turbo Kit, EPR Allison Transmission, Aria's Forded Pistons, Howards Xbeam Rods , Built Engine, Ported Heads , Stage 2 cam, and Gorilla Girdle all by Randy's Engine And Machine , PPE Dual CP3's with 120% stroker pump , DDP 47LMP Injectors , 2-BD Diesel 165 GPH lift pumps , Frozen Boost W/A Cooler , 4link with coil overs at every corner , and a bunch of stuff I am probably forgetting.

9.87 @ 143.56, DA=6550

www.extremeprejudiceracing.com

2001 GMC CC/LB "The tow rig" , EPR Triple Turbo's EPR Trans , EFI live , RDL Headers and mouth peice, 305/55 R20 Coopers , 5" exhaust .
Old 05-29-2012, 02:10 PM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentNell View Post
I have always used a "shop press" , and pressed them out , I have heard of guys "burning" the rubber out and then using a hammer and chisel to get the metal sleeve out in a pinch but have never tried it .
In all my searching I was seeing people would burn them out but i dunno if I wanna go that route. Probably just be easier to find a shop to press them out. Do the poly bushings need to be pressed in?

P.S. Engine should be ready in the next few weeks
Old 05-29-2012, 02:53 PM
Needs Bigger Tires!

Truck: 06 GMC 2500HD CCSB
Engine: Diesel 6.6L

I've burned them out, pressed them out, combinations of those two, etc.
Burning is a PITA and smells and smokes, plus the rubber ends up being burn your skin hot.

If you use a drill and drill the rubber repeated around in a circle between the outside edge and inside collar, then press them out (balljoint press with big "cup") works best. Then a hammer and chisel to collapse the outter sleeve and pull it out. Takes a little bit of time, but works well, no smell and no fuss. The biggest "issue" is the shavings created by repeatedly drilling the rubber but that's easy cleanup with a vacuum or dust pan.
2006 GMC CCSB 4WD McRat EFI Live , Kennedy dual lift pumps, Champion Stage IV tranny, Mike L cooler and C3 oiler, Suncoast Brace, Eaton E-Locker, Caltracs, homemade pulling hitch, homemade limit blocks, H2's and cooper STT's, Predator, MBRP Cool Duals (not kitty or muffler), EGR blocker, Finger Stick, and all on headlight mod.

80 K20ish Reg Cab Long Bed, Full Roller 454, Manual TH400, Torque Converter Techniques converter, 3:1 planetary setup, NP205, High Angle driveshafts, 4.56's, 35's, Lockers F&R, Dakota digital dash, and custom interior.

www.matpa.org
Old 05-29-2012, 04:47 PM
Why do I keep doing this?

Truck: 2003 GMC CC/SB
Engine: LB7-Z

I took a chisel and wedged it into the slit where the spring eye comes back around. This "opened" the area surrounding the bushing just a little. Sprayed some lubricant between the spring eye and the bushing, too.
I then took an air chisel and folded the lips that overhang the spring eye back over onto the bushing on one side. There is one side that has shorter lips than the other, I did that side.
Then I just switched to the air hammer, and using a socket as large as the outside of the side of the bushing with the folded lips, I "pushed" it right out.

I installed the Caltrac aluminum bushings using the air hammer and socket, so I think it would also work for OEM style too.

2003 Olds Aurora -- the new DD

Two wrongs dont make a right, but three rights do make a left.

Reality is a matter of perspective, and luck favors the prepared.

I'm old enough to know that I know just enough to be dangerous.

This forum isn't for the weak of heart.....or wallet.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:53 PM
Forever evolving

Truck: CC/SB
Engine: LB7

I ground the outer lip off,set the leaf on a couple blocks of wood and beat it through with using some PB a big hammer and a socket. I could of brought it down to the shop and pressed it out but whats the fun it that.

Limitless Diesel Performance
413-770-3585

Check us out on Facebook and see what we're up to.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:17 PM
Hotrodder

these are some good ideas guys! I might end up giving one and or a combinatoin of these a try and see what happens.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:41 PM
Getting faster

Truck: SC/SB
Engine: Isuzu 6.6 LB7

Why the need to fully remove the springs for 3" shackles? I just put mine on my LB7 this weekend, took an hour.

06 RC/LB 4x4 DD/Tow truck

2014 Cruze TD 2.0 DD

Tailgate Crew Member #3
Old 05-29-2012, 06:44 PM
Forever evolving

Truck: CC/SB

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondarider552 View Post
Why the need to fully remove the springs for 3" shackles? I just put mine on my LB7 this weekend, took an hour.
I know on mine the bolt in the upper shackle was so frozen I had to take the pack out to get it out.

Limitless Diesel Performance
413-770-3585

Check us out on Facebook and see what we're up to.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:17 PM
Getting faster

Truck: SC/SB
Engine: Isuzu 6.6 LB7

Then im lucky, mine slid right out

06 RC/LB 4x4 DD/Tow truck

2014 Cruze TD 2.0 DD

Tailgate Crew Member #3
Old 05-29-2012, 09:58 PM
Lead from the Front

Truck: EC/SB

Mine was the same way....had to press the bolt out. Shit sucked.

http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic5837_2.gif
Old 05-29-2012, 10:19 PM
Hotrodder

Truck: CCSB 4WD
Engine: LLY, LBZ

To remove my bushings, I fired up the propane burner on low, set the spring on there and watched it burn/melt. After that was done, I took the air hammer and a punch and folded it in on itself on the small side and it slid out.

To put the new urethane bushings in, I used grease and stood on it. If that does not work, get a piece of threaded rod and a large socket. Use the threaded rod and a washer to pull the bushing into place.
EGR blocked. PCV rerouted. Resonator blocked (reinstalled for looks). Bladerunner installed. Dead kitty by MBRP (front pipe) and down tube replaced with the MBRP (heat wrapped from the turbo down to the front pipe).
Performax Gauges by ISSPRO in pod over mirror and overhead console (console pod by PPE). Mike L Transmission.
----Looking to do an onboard air with a set of truck air horns. Want Nathan K5LA's but not in the budget at the moment.----

Added to the family 06 GMC CCSB 2WD LBZ SLT package. Upgrades will follow.
Old 05-30-2012, 05:14 PM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondarider552 View Post
The upper bolts were seized right into the spring themselves. Had the hitch and bottom bolts out in 30 min and thought man this is going way to easy....

It was a success getting the bushings out tonight after work. I used the drill method running it around the outside and it actually slowly worked the bushing right out. Then used an air hammer to get the sleeves out. Id say took about 1 1/2 hours. Most of the time was firguring out the first one. Thanks guys for your help!
Old 05-31-2012, 06:37 PM
<--good vibrations

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBac View Post
I took a chisel and wedged it into the slit where the spring eye comes back around. This "opened" the area surrounding the bushing just a little. Sprayed some lubricant between the spring eye and the bushing, too.
I then took an air chisel and folded the lips that overhang the spring eye back over onto the bushing on one side. There is one side that has shorter lips than the other, I did that side.
Then I just switched to the air hammer, and using a socket as large as the outside of the side of the bushing with the folded lips, I "pushed" it right out.

I installed the Caltrac aluminum bushings using the air hammer and socket, so I think it would also work for OEM style too.
X2!!