Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 10-23-2011, 06:13 PM
Needs Bigger Tires!

Truck: 06 GMC 2500HD CCSB
Engine: Diesel 6.6L
Transmission: Automatic
Default Intermittent 3 second shutoff

Ever since I've owned my truck I've had several occasions where the truck will start for 3 seconds (estimated) and die. I immediately restart and it will run for 3 seconds and die. This cycle continues. I will let the truck sit and go out a while later and it fires up fine.

I KNOW it has done it using my Astrostart remote starter but I can't remember if it's ever just done it with the key. Although once I noticed it, I tried restarting with just the key and it still continued to do it.

I finally had a code reader on me today and it threw a P1631 code. I did some searching and it seems those that have this code have had to "fix" the issue in one way or another, mine seems intermittent and self correcting. I also notice the VATS lock symbol was flashing when this occurred.

Any thoughts?
2006 GMC CCSB 4WD McRat EFI Live , Kennedy dual lift pumps, Champion Stage IV tranny, Mike L cooler and C3 oiler, Suncoast Brace, Eaton E-Locker, Caltracs, homemade pulling hitch, homemade limit blocks, H2's and cooper STT's, Predator, MBRP Cool Duals (not kitty or muffler), EGR blocker, Finger Stick, and all on headlight mod.

80 K20ish Reg Cab Long Bed, Full Roller 454, Manual TH400, Torque Converter Techniques converter, 3:1 planetary setup, NP205, High Angle driveshafts, 4.56's, 35's, Lockers F&R, Dakota digital dash, and custom interior.

www.matpa.org
Old 10-23-2011, 06:40 PM
Why not?

Truck: CC/SB
Engine: LB7

That code matches with what you were saying. It is a theft deterrent signal incorrect code. That means that something is causing the theftlock code to get mangled.

Odds are it is your remote start system. Check to make sure everything is connected securely (no shorts/opens/loose connections), and possibly do a relearn of the key on the remote starter, if you can. If that doesn't work, there may be an update to the remote start or it may be defective. Of course, it could be the vehicle computers going out, but that seems less likely.

If you just want to fix it and not worry about the code, you can turn off the VATS with EFI Live and just ignore the security light.
Edit: ^^ This is probably not the best solution, as it technically makes your truck easier to steal. But it will fix the start/die problem.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:43 PM
Needs Bigger Tires!

I would prefer to keep the VATS. I did not do the install on the remote start, so I have no idea where the remote start key is or how to do the relearn on it. Is there a do it yourself article (I've seen the ones for the regular ignition key), but not for the remote start key.

Thanks in advance.
2006 GMC CCSB 4WD McRat EFI Live , Kennedy dual lift pumps, Champion Stage IV tranny, Mike L cooler and C3 oiler, Suncoast Brace, Eaton E-Locker, Caltracs, homemade pulling hitch, homemade limit blocks, H2's and cooper STT's, Predator, MBRP Cool Duals (not kitty or muffler), EGR blocker, Finger Stick, and all on headlight mod.

80 K20ish Reg Cab Long Bed, Full Roller 454, Manual TH400, Torque Converter Techniques converter, 3:1 planetary setup, NP205, High Angle driveshafts, 4.56's, 35's, Lockers F&R, Dakota digital dash, and custom interior.

www.matpa.org

Last edited by Leadfoot; 10-23-2011 at 08:27 PM.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:40 PM
Why not?

Truck: CC/SB
Engine: LB7

The procedure would depend on your remote start system. It sounds like you might need to take the truck to a car alarm shop and have them diagnose the remote start for you. That is my guess as to what is wrong.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:01 PM
Needs Bigger Tires!

I called them. There must be very edumucated people working there as when I explained the problem, they said "When it happens again bring it down and we'll look at it, we can't diagnose it when it's working properly"....

UH.....Well when it happens I can't drive it there, and when I'm able to drive it, there is nothing to diagnose. I was hoping I could do something in my driveway when it happens. It's the Astrostart single button remote (it was the lowest model that would work with the diesel), as my keyfob from the factory did everything else. Guess I'm SOL.

Thanks for trying though, it's more than they are willing to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVe3283 View Post
The procedure would depend on your remote start system. It sounds like you might need to take the truck to a car alarm shop and have them diagnose the remote start for you. That is my guess as to what is wrong.

www.matpa.org