Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
  #1  
Old 06-05-2011, 03:33 PM
gmduramax's Avatar
gmduramax gmduramax is offline
Shits broke
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Nor cal
Truck: CC/SB
Engine: LMM
Transmission: Automatic
Posts: 2,457

Default How do you remove stuck injectors?

My #1 and #2 injector are stuck. I was able to get the #2 injector to come out an 1/8 inch and it will not budge. I was using an 8 foot breaker bar on a pry bar placed in between the valve cover and injector hold down.

Any body have any ideas?
__________________
2008 GMC duramax crew cab short bed 2500.
11.16@123mph

Thanks to Mike L, SoCal Diesel, and Abel Chevorlet.

Tailgate Crew Member #1
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-05-2011, 05:15 PM
jneal's Avatar
jneal jneal is offline
Hotrodder
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bloomington, Indiana
Posts: 338
Default

Is this on the LMM in your sig? And why are the injectors being removed?
__________________
TOW RIG: 1996 Dodge club cab 12v

TOY: 2006 Reg cab LMZ/ally 4x4


FLEECE PERFORMANCE ENGINEERING
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-05-2011, 05:17 PM
gmduramax's Avatar
gmduramax gmduramax is offline
Shits broke
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Nor cal
Truck: CC/SB
Engine: LMM
Transmission: Automatic
Posts: 2,457

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jneal View Post
Is this on the LMM in your sig? And why are the injectors being removed?
Yes it is. I'm getting SoCal 100% overs
__________________
2008 GMC duramax crew cab short bed 2500.
11.16@123mph

Thanks to Mike L, SoCal Diesel, and Abel Chevorlet.

Tailgate Crew Member #1
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-05-2011, 05:17 PM
paint94979's Avatar
paint94979 paint94979 is offline
Beer Nazi
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,965

Default

an 8 foot breaker bar SHOULD work
__________________
LLY's are COOL

HUGE Thanks to Chris, Mike L., McRat Racing, Total Performance Diesel, PPE, Trent, Wicked Diesel, Mike, Henry of Creatures of the Night, Exergy Engineering and the rest of Team Salad<--My Tailgate's Always open for all of you!!

11.84 @ 115
Tailgate Crew Member #2
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-05-2011, 05:19 PM
gmduramax's Avatar
gmduramax gmduramax is offline
Shits broke
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Nor cal
Truck: CC/SB
Engine: LMM
Transmission: Automatic
Posts: 2,457

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by paint94979 View Post
an 8 foot breaker bar SHOULD work
Sadly it didn't. Don't know why there stuck. Isn't the first time they came out.
__________________
2008 GMC duramax crew cab short bed 2500.
11.16@123mph

Thanks to Mike L, SoCal Diesel, and Abel Chevorlet.

Tailgate Crew Member #1
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-05-2011, 05:24 PM
DMAXchris's Avatar
DMAXchris DMAXchris is offline
VVT HATER


 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Natrona Heights PA
Truck: EC/LB worktruck
Engine: El Bee Zee
Transmission: Automatic
Posts: 1,392

Default

My #7 was stuck pretty bad. Try putting the fuel line back on the injector and using that to hold onto. Wiggle it, turn it, rock it ,whatever movement you can get it to make is good. We fought with it for about 15 minutes but it eventually worked itself loose. Mine had rust on it. I think it was caused by me & my pressure washer.
__________________
06 Chevy LBZ
Olympic White Built Motor/Trans Bullseye s375 Stock CP3 Built and Tuned by Blackout Performance 11.76@115.12
08 BMW 528xi
Alpine White Brown Dakota Leather Premium/Cold/Smoker Pkg LED AEs MTec D1S 50% tint
2000 Buick Regal GS
Bright White Lowered Homemade CAI 4500K HIDs Supercharged Beater
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-05-2011, 05:49 PM
schulte schulte is online now
Hotrodder

 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: CT
Truck: 2004 CCSB
Engine: LB7-LLY Hybrid
Transmission: Automatic
Posts: 507

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMAXchris View Post
My #7 was stuck pretty bad. Try putting the fuel line back on the injector and using that to hold onto. Wiggle it, turn it, rock it ,whatever movement you can get it to make is good. We fought with it for about 15 minutes but it eventually worked itself loose. Mine had rust on it. I think it was caused by me & my pressure washer.
x2 on the fuel line as a handle. You can't pry it out with a prybar/extension bar. If you pry up on the hold-downs they just twist and you aren't pulling at the right angle.

You could also buy one of these, although I've never need to use one.... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OTC-J...c#ht_499wt_957
__________________
2004 CCSB LLY
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-05-2011, 06:01 PM
jpowel29's Avatar
jpowel29 jpowel29 is offline
Hotrodder
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,180
Default

Heat will liquify the carbon build up - that is what finally freed a stuck injector in mine. The injector loosened up during a race and I simply re-torqued it back in place (thinking nothing about). Once I took the motor down for maintenance over the winter, it was stuck. I guess the copper washer didn't re-seat properly and the injector bore had enough carbon build up that the injector removal tool wouldn't budge it.
__________________
Trying some new things...
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-05-2011, 06:06 PM
gmduramax's Avatar
gmduramax gmduramax is offline
Shits broke
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Nor cal
Truck: CC/SB
Engine: LMM
Transmission: Automatic
Posts: 2,457

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpowel29 View Post
Heat will liquify the carbon build up - that is what finally freed a stuck injector in mine. The injector loosened up during a race and I simply re-torqued it back in place (thinking nothing about). Once I took the motor down for maintenance over the winter, it was stuck. I guess the copper washer didn't re-seat properly and the injector bore had enough carbon build up that the injector removal tool wouldn't budge it.
What did you use to heat it with?
__________________
2008 GMC duramax crew cab short bed 2500.
11.16@123mph

Thanks to Mike L, SoCal Diesel, and Abel Chevorlet.

Tailgate Crew Member #1
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-05-2011, 06:39 PM
jneal's Avatar
jneal jneal is offline
Hotrodder
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bloomington, Indiana
Posts: 338
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmduramax View Post
Yes it is. I'm getting SoCal 100% overs
Wow. Usually just takes a small screw driver under the hold down to pop them out, that is if they don't come out by hand. But a 8ft cheater on a prybar is definately in the category of STUCK! I've never had one stuck that bad.
__________________
TOW RIG: 1996 Dodge club cab 12v

TOY: 2006 Reg cab LMZ/ally 4x4


FLEECE PERFORMANCE ENGINEERING
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-05-2011, 07:50 PM
jpowel29's Avatar
jpowel29 jpowel29 is offline
Hotrodder
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,180
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmduramax View Post
What did you use to heat it with?
Head was removed - had to cut around lower vc - very small tip on gas torch - and an infrared thermometer to make sure we heated everything evenly. Worked very well and help clean out the injector bore nicely. Everything checked out well on the heads and they are back on running again.
__________________
Trying some new things...
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-05-2011, 09:19 PM
gmduramax's Avatar
gmduramax gmduramax is offline
Shits broke
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Nor cal
Truck: CC/SB
Engine: LMM
Transmission: Automatic
Posts: 2,457

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpowel29 View Post
Head was removed - had to cut around lower vc - very small tip on gas torch - and an infrared thermometer to make sure we heated everything evenly. Worked very well and help clean out the injector bore nicely. Everything checked out well on the heads and they are back on running again.

Looks like I'm pulling the heads. Thanks for the help.
__________________
2008 GMC duramax crew cab short bed 2500.
11.16@123mph

Thanks to Mike L, SoCal Diesel, and Abel Chevorlet.

Tailgate Crew Member #1
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-05-2011, 09:28 PM
jraymer's Avatar
jraymer jraymer is offline
<--Tree Hugger
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Truck: 2002 GMC Sierra 2500
Engine: 6.6 Turbo Diesel
Transmission: Automatic
Posts: 1,490

Default

We just had this problem on an 05. Used tons of penetrating oil, put the fuel line back on and used a pry bar between the fuel line and injector top to twist in back and forth as someone else used a big ass pry bar under the hold down. We ended up breaking the hold down and trashing the lower valve cover. We put a 4x4 block on the frame under the injector to pry against and it seemed to help.


http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/...ad.php?t=31888
__________________
02' GMC CCSB, Inglewood, UDP, PPE
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-05-2011, 09:37 PM
gmduramax's Avatar
gmduramax gmduramax is offline
Shits broke
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Nor cal
Truck: CC/SB
Engine: LMM
Transmission: Automatic
Posts: 2,457

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jraymer View Post
We just had this problem on an 05. Used tons of penetrating oil, put the fuel line back on and used a pry bar between the fuel line and injector top to twist in back and forth as someone else used a big ass pry bar under the hold down. We ended up breaking the hold down and trashing the lower valve cover. We put a 4x4 block on the frame under the injector to pry against and it seemed to help.


http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/...ad.php?t=31888

Might give this a try. I was thinking about welding a hook to the injector line and pulling up on it with a cherry picker.
__________________
2008 GMC duramax crew cab short bed 2500.
11.16@123mph

Thanks to Mike L, SoCal Diesel, and Abel Chevorlet.

Tailgate Crew Member #1
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-06-2011, 12:24 AM
Burn Down's Avatar
Burn Down Burn Down is offline
Hotrodder
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Fairbanks Alaska
Truck: 04.5 CCSB Dmax
Engine: lly/lb7
Transmission: Automatic
Posts: 2,502

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by schulte View Post
x2 on the fuel line as a handle. You can't pry it out with a prybar/extension bar. If you pry up on the hold-downs they just twist and you aren't pulling at the right angle.

You could also buy one of these, although I've never need to use one.... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OTC-J...c#ht_499wt_957
I broke the tit off of mine. It's pretty much useless if there rusted or packed with carbon.

I still think the slide hammer idea will work...
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vB.Sponsors