Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
  #1  
Old 11-14-2010, 10:48 AM
duramax02 duramax02 is offline
FNG
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: El campo, Tx
Engine: LB7
Transmission: Automatic
Posts: 10
Default Getting oil smell and white smoke LB7

My lb7 with 113,000 miles has white smoke/steam that comes out of the crankcase breather tube by the oil pan. Also when I pull the dipstick and open the oil filler cap I get a white steam/smoke blowing out when the truck is running. When the truck is running I can smell oil fumes. There is some oil that comes out of the breather tube by the oil pan. The truck has not used any oil between oil changes and does not smoke out of the exhaust at all. What should I do? It has been really stressing me out
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-14-2010, 10:03 PM
Burn Down's Avatar
Burn Down Burn Down is offline
Hotrodder
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Fairbanks Alaska
Truck: 04.5 CCSB Dmax
Engine: lly/lb7
Transmission: Automatic
Posts: 2,461

Default

Start with a compression check & go from there.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-15-2010, 05:47 AM
MACKIN's Avatar
MACKIN MACKIN is offline
Smell My Finger...
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Connecticut
Truck: LESS AT THE MOMENT
Engine: Combustion
Transmission: Hybrid
Posts: 3,945

Default

First thing I would do is check the balance rates of the injectors. Do a wick check which is dropping some oil on a white paper towel and see if it fans out like there is diesel in the oil. Can you tell if your making oil as the level is climbing up the dip-stick?

Since your seeing a haze and wetness at the crankcase vent chances are that you have a bad injector leaking fuel into the crankcase. Have the injectors ever been replaced?
__________________
I have nothing want nothing because what I have cost me to much to have.

01 Big Dually (Gone but not forgotten)
05 Fat-Boy (gets it done)
83 CJ7 (slug but cool)
07 Audi A4 ( I like German Girls they're HOT!!)


LIFES JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE IN HEAVEN SAFELY IN A WELL PRESERVED BODY,
BUT RATHER TO SKID IN SIDEWAYS,
TOTALLY WORN OUT, SHOUTING,HOLY SHIT WHAT A RIDE!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-15-2010, 10:58 AM
duramax02 duramax02 is offline
FNG
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: El campo, Tx
Engine: LB7
Transmission: Automatic
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACKIN View Post
First thing I would do is check the balance rates of the injectors. Do a wick check which is dropping some oil on a white paper towel and see if it fans out like there is diesel in the oil. Can you tell if your making oil as the level is climbing up the dip-stick?

Since your seeing a haze and wetness at the crankcase vent chances are that you have a bad injector leaking fuel into the crankcase. Have the injectors ever been replaced?
Had injectors replaced at 67,000 miles. I just checked the oil level again and it is showing it to be 1/2 full on the dipstick.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-15-2010, 11:03 AM
RENODMAX's Avatar
RENODMAX RENODMAX is online now
Basin Built
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Reno
Posts: 4,110

Default

Id go with Albert's suggestion and have a compression test done on your truck. White smoke out of the crankcase and using oil is not a sign of injector failure. Report back with the numbers you get from the compression test and we will help you as much as we can.
__________________
2004 LB7 CCSB
Built trans, tuning, fabbed stuff by me
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-15-2010, 11:05 AM
DIESELMAFIAPER.LB7's Avatar
DIESELMAFIAPER.LB7 DIESELMAFIAPER.LB7 is offline
<---broken

 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: idaho
Truck: CC/SB
Engine: LB7 injector eater!!
Transmission: Automatic
Posts: 4,637

Default

X2 compression test
__________________
2003 GMC CC/SB: a broken again 8/15/14

2012 mega cab 6.7: Tuned and deleted
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-15-2010, 12:16 PM
MACKIN's Avatar
MACKIN MACKIN is offline
Smell My Finger...
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Connecticut
Truck: LESS AT THE MOMENT
Engine: Combustion
Transmission: Hybrid
Posts: 3,945

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RENODMAX View Post
Id go with Albert's suggestion and have a compression test done on your truck. White smoke out of the crankcase and using oil is not a sign of injector failure. Report back with the numbers you get from the compression test and we will help you as much as we can.

Original Poster says,


Quote:
The truck has not used any oil between oil changes and does not smoke out of the exhaust at all. What should I do? It has been really stressing me out


Says it's not using oil. Nonetheless my thought was he was diluting the oil and getting cylinder wall wash with a leaking injector allowing the crankcase to have diesel fuel introduced into the oil which will cause a blow-bye haze when the oil is hot.

I've had a second set of injectors go with less miles in my truck,unfortunately. Actually it was one and I got the whole set. Lucky me

No sense in checking balance rates or doing a wick test. Although I would but that's me. I yield to a compression check.
__________________
I have nothing want nothing because what I have cost me to much to have.

01 Big Dually (Gone but not forgotten)
05 Fat-Boy (gets it done)
83 CJ7 (slug but cool)
07 Audi A4 ( I like German Girls they're HOT!!)


LIFES JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE IN HEAVEN SAFELY IN A WELL PRESERVED BODY,
BUT RATHER TO SKID IN SIDEWAYS,
TOTALLY WORN OUT, SHOUTING,HOLY SHIT WHAT A RIDE!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-15-2010, 01:29 PM
Burn Down's Avatar
Burn Down Burn Down is offline
Hotrodder
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Fairbanks Alaska
Truck: 04.5 CCSB Dmax
Engine: lly/lb7
Transmission: Automatic
Posts: 2,461

Default

Maybe do both balance rates & compression test. More than likely you are going to have some holes with high balance rates & those holes will likley be low on compression.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-15-2010, 07:11 PM
duramax02 duramax02 is offline
FNG
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: El campo, Tx
Engine: LB7
Transmission: Automatic
Posts: 10
Default

When I checked the oil it was about 5 minutes after turning the truck off. After truck sits for a couple of hours its 3/4 of the dipstick. We are going to try to do a compression test on it tomorrow. Also could a clogged pcv sytem cause a problem? We are also going to pull off the alternator housing bracket and see if the oil seperator is not clogged.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-16-2010, 05:17 AM
MACKIN's Avatar
MACKIN MACKIN is offline
Smell My Finger...
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Connecticut
Truck: LESS AT THE MOMENT
Engine: Combustion
Transmission: Hybrid
Posts: 3,945

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by duramax02 View Post
When I checked the oil it was about 5 minutes after turning the truck off. After truck sits for a couple of hours its 3/4 of the dipstick. We are going to try to do a compression test on it tomorrow. Also could a clogged pcv sytem cause a problem? We are also going to pull off the alternator housing bracket and see if the oil seperator is not clogged.
I don't understand 3/4 of the dipstick? Is it 3/4 in the normal range or 3/4 past the normal range?


Easiest thing to do is check the balance rates and drop some oil on a white paper towel and see if it fans out. At least rule that out IMO. If it fans out ,dark,to light then you have diesel fuel in your oil.

I'm not saying that is it but the LB7 is plagued with injector issues and it's a easy diagnose or starting point. If you get no where there then do a compression check. The Duramax isn't known for bad rings or cylinder wall scoring from what I've seen under normal use causing excessive blow-bye with normal maintenance unless your in extreme condition of use.

Good luck
__________________
I have nothing want nothing because what I have cost me to much to have.

01 Big Dually (Gone but not forgotten)
05 Fat-Boy (gets it done)
83 CJ7 (slug but cool)
07 Audi A4 ( I like German Girls they're HOT!!)


LIFES JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE IN HEAVEN SAFELY IN A WELL PRESERVED BODY,
BUT RATHER TO SKID IN SIDEWAYS,
TOTALLY WORN OUT, SHOUTING,HOLY SHIT WHAT A RIDE!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-16-2010, 05:28 AM
stacks04's Avatar
stacks04 stacks04 is offline
Hotrodder
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Terryville,Ct
Truck: 04 Chevy crew cab
Engine: duramax diesel 6.6
Transmission: Automatic
Posts: 800

Default

Mack, give up
__________________
2004 CHEVY CREW CAB
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-16-2010, 06:00 AM
MACKIN's Avatar
MACKIN MACKIN is offline
Smell My Finger...
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Connecticut
Truck: LESS AT THE MOMENT
Engine: Combustion
Transmission: Hybrid
Posts: 3,945

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacks04 View Post
Mack, give up
Will do. I'm out like a fat kid in dodge ball!
__________________
I have nothing want nothing because what I have cost me to much to have.

01 Big Dually (Gone but not forgotten)
05 Fat-Boy (gets it done)
83 CJ7 (slug but cool)
07 Audi A4 ( I like German Girls they're HOT!!)


LIFES JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE IN HEAVEN SAFELY IN A WELL PRESERVED BODY,
BUT RATHER TO SKID IN SIDEWAYS,
TOTALLY WORN OUT, SHOUTING,HOLY SHIT WHAT A RIDE!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-16-2010, 02:27 PM
duramax02 duramax02 is offline
FNG
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: El campo, Tx
Engine: LB7
Transmission: Automatic
Posts: 10
Default

It's 3/4 full between the add & full mark.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MACKIN View Post
I don't understand 3/4 of the dipstick? Is it 3/4 in the normal range or 3/4 past the normal range?


Easiest thing to do is check the balance rates and drop some oil on a white paper towel and see if it fans out. At least rule that out IMO. If it fans out ,dark,to light then you have diesel fuel in your oil.

I'm not saying that is it but the LB7 is plagued with injector issues and it's a easy diagnose or starting point. If you get no where there then do a compression check. The Duramax isn't known for bad rings or cylinder wall scoring from what I've seen under normal use causing excessive blow-bye with normal maintenance unless your in extreme condition of use.

Good luck
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-18-2010, 01:01 PM
MACKIN's Avatar
MACKIN MACKIN is offline
Smell My Finger...
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Connecticut
Truck: LESS AT THE MOMENT
Engine: Combustion
Transmission: Hybrid
Posts: 3,945

Default

I can't resist


No follow up?
__________________
I have nothing want nothing because what I have cost me to much to have.

01 Big Dually (Gone but not forgotten)
05 Fat-Boy (gets it done)
83 CJ7 (slug but cool)
07 Audi A4 ( I like German Girls they're HOT!!)


LIFES JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE IN HEAVEN SAFELY IN A WELL PRESERVED BODY,
BUT RATHER TO SKID IN SIDEWAYS,
TOTALLY WORN OUT, SHOUTING,HOLY SHIT WHAT A RIDE!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-19-2010, 05:08 AM
duramax02 duramax02 is offline
FNG
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: El campo, Tx
Engine: LB7
Transmission: Automatic
Posts: 10
Default

We finally got to do a compression test last night and all cylinders were between 310psi-345psi.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vB.Sponsors