Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 05-19-2010, 07:54 PM
weakest link finder

Truck: 2006 GMC
Engine: duramax LBZ
Transmission: Automatic
Default who makes the best 2.8 and 3.0 turbo

Like the title says..... who makes the best 2.8 and 3.0 turbo for our trucks. List the pros and cons. Drivability? all out performance? Compressor size vs. turbine size and housing A/R. Lbs/min if modified. ETC.

Let me know what ya think.

Kev
2006 GMC, CCSB, 4x4, LBZ, EFI Live, 33x15.50x18 Mickey Thompson AT, SoCal fully built mortor with stage 2 heads and pulling cam, "big" head studs, main studs, 60% over injectors, dual CP3's, 3.0 turbo, BD manifold, FASS 95 GPM pump, Sun Coast Stage 4 with a 1055 converter, Eaton front locker, cold air induction ram air hood, PVC reroute, single 5" mitered stack, 6" Fabtech lift, Cognito braces, HD tie rods and center link, front and rear dirveshaft loops and ujoint shields, rear bumper kill cord, turbo shield, HD idler pivot assembly, steel drive shaft with larger u-joints, custom front weight bracket, custom hitch

"Wound Up"
Old 05-19-2010, 08:08 PM
Big Girl!

Truck: 03 white ccsb lb7
Engine: 6.6 duramax

Precision Turbo

2010 Straight Diesel 2.8 Points Champion
special thanks:
B&B Pulling and Greene's Diesel Performance, Fully Spooled Motorsports, Johnboy, Simon, Ed, ProFab Performance, Hamilton Cams, Extreme Prejudice Racing, Ridge Runner Diesel
Old 05-19-2010, 08:15 PM
Hotrodder

Hard to argue with the success of Precision Turbo
Old 05-19-2010, 08:28 PM
In way over my head

Truck: cc/sb
Engine: LMM

Curtis Emery got his new 2.8 from ED.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:34 PM
Hotrodder

Truck: 2002 Chevy 2500HD
Engine: LB7 BABY!!!!!!

What they said.

If you aren't into spending as much money as a Precision costs (they are $ because they have custom machined billet wheels in them), you can get something about as good from Engineered Diesel. This is the route I'll be going. The price for what you get s great IMO and I've seen excellent customer service from them.

I'm sure there's several others that can set you up a custom charger but I'm just not familiar with many others.

BTW, I doubt you are going to be able to do much towing or even have very good street manners with the best, meaning most competitive, 2.8 or 3.0 chargers. If you've got to have that, you might as well get an A5K or something similar from a turbo shop. No, it may not be the best on the track but its pretty dang good and still has as much street manners as one can realistically expect from a charger that size.

Good luck

02 Chevy 2500HD D/A EC SB LS
SCIII & X-Case brace by MA, Team Salad tuning & Trippin's DSP5, 4" Diamond Eye exhaust, Fumoto Valve, 5% tint, partially debadged , Rhino Bed Liner, Cheap Junk Air Intake, SuperDiesel Intake Manifold and Ported Turbo Inlet, 16x8 Eagle 194s w/ 265s

1983 GMC K30 CC SHORT BED
4wd pulling truck awaiting LBZ Dmax/ZF6 conversion...

Last edited by SmokeShow; 05-19-2010 at 08:35 PM.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:40 PM
In way over my head

Engine: LMM

Before I went with MPI Twins I was going to get Danville to build my 2.8. They might be worth looking into also.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:36 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Kevin,

Give me a call...

Dan
714-985-4825

2003 Chevy 2500HD CC/LB LB7 4X4

2005 Chevy 2500HD RC/LB 4X4..............
Old 05-19-2010, 09:59 PM
Daggum farm truck

Truck: 06 2500HD CC/SB
Engine: LBZ

Are you looking for something off-the-shelf or custom? I hear really good things about Precision's custom turbos. There are a few members here running them, but I think they are a fair amount larger than 3.0".

06 Express 2500 Duramax Van "The Dumpster"
10.86 @ 124.8

Old 05-20-2010, 04:31 AM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeShow View Post
What they said.

If you aren't into spending as much money as a Precision costs (they are $ because they have custom machined billet wheels in them), you can get something about as good from Engineered Diesel. This is the route I'll be going. The price for what you get s great IMO and I've seen excellent customer service from them.

I'm sure there's several others that can set you up a custom charger but I'm just not familiar with many others.

BTW, I doubt you are going to be able to do much towing or even have very good street manners with the best, meaning most competitive, 2.8 or 3.0 chargers. If you've got to have that, you might as well get an A5K or something similar from a turbo shop. No, it may not be the best on the track but its pretty dang good and still has as much street manners as one can realistically expect from a charger that size.

Good luck

you know i used to think the exact same thing about big singles and daily driving them and such, but i rode in dustins truck yesterday and hes running a s480 a single and i think its all in the tuning. his truck is not bad at all, and i would even venture to say you could probably tow with it. surpised the shit out of me.
Old 05-20-2010, 05:08 AM
Hotrodder

Somehow I don't think Kusilek would be towing/daily driving with his setup if it was in a stock truck chassis... Could be wrong.

As with most things, if you are going all out, there is some give and take.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:46 AM
Hotrodder

Engine: lb7

I am very happy with my e.d. 2.8 its spools very easily for the size of the wheels it was speced with. Mine set up with a 72mm inducer and I believe 114mm exducer comp wheel and race cover. Flow rating is right around 110lbs/min. The turbine is a 87/80 wheel with a 1.00 housing. The drive pressure is very low compared to my old set-up. I am seeing 40-45 psi at 4000-4200rpm drive pressure is about the same. I am hearing a lot of great things about Precisions offerings as well. I think you would be very happy with either companies offering.

Socal Diesel-Profab Performance-Turbo Re-Source-Pressurized Solutions-Ridgerunner diesel-Inferno Diesel-Inglewood Transmission-Precision Convertor-Schaeffers Specialized Lubricants

Last edited by CurtisEmery; 05-20-2010 at 07:41 AM.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:51 AM
Hotrodder

Oh I forgot the price was very reasonable at $1850 I don't drive much on the street anymore but it has very good street manors for the size of the charger.

Socal Diesel-Profab Performance-Turbo Re-Source-Pressurized Solutions-Ridgerunner diesel-Inferno Diesel-Inglewood Transmission-Precision Convertor-Schaeffers Specialized Lubricants
Old 05-20-2010, 01:42 PM
weakest link finder

Truck: 2006 GMC
Engine: duramax LBZ

Thanks for all the replies guys! This helps. I am looking for something with low drive pressure, spools easy, and flows aroung 120 lbs/min. Will be looking at precision.
2006 GMC, CCSB, 4x4, LBZ, EFI Live, 33x15.50x18 Mickey Thompson AT, SoCal fully built mortor with stage 2 heads and pulling cam, "big" head studs, main studs, 60% over injectors, dual CP3's, 3.0 turbo, BD manifold, FASS 95 GPM pump, Sun Coast Stage 4 with a 1055 converter, Eaton front locker, cold air induction ram air hood, PVC reroute, single 5" mitered stack, 6" Fabtech lift, Cognito braces, HD tie rods and center link, front and rear dirveshaft loops and ujoint shields, rear bumper kill cord, turbo shield, HD idler pivot assembly, steel drive shaft with larger u-joints, custom front weight bracket, custom hitch

"Wound Up"
Old 05-21-2010, 06:38 AM
Hotrodder

I believe the E.D. 3.0" is flows more than 120lbs/min. Chris told me they had a dodge with a S400 and their billet 83mm wheel made 1340hp a while back. Just some food for thought. Anyone know what the Precision 2.8, 3.0, etc flows lbs/min? Last time I spoke with them they were pretty standoffish on giving me the exact specs of what I would be buying.

Old 05-21-2010, 07:06 AM
Hotrodder

Truck: yes
Engine: awesome

add another vote for precision!