Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 04-29-2010, 06:19 PM
Hotrodder

Truck: CC/SB
Engine: LMM
Transmission: Automatic
Default AC Freon??

Do our trucks use regular 134A for freon? If so is there any special way to fill them?? Can you just use the cans of it from the part store to fill it.

I had a hose from the condenser up to the cooler lay on a pulley and wore a hole in it and lost all my freon. Oh and by the way check yours cuase the stealership got me for $150 for that 3' hose

Thanks
Mike
Old 04-29-2010, 06:33 PM
Hotrodder

Truck: yes
Engine: awesome

Yes it's just 134a but i recommend letting someone put a good vacuum on it to make sure all the air is out of the system before charging it then weigh the charge in to ensure the correct amount is put in.
Old 04-29-2010, 06:38 PM
Hotrodder

Truck: CCSB 4WD
Engine: LLY, LBZ

Yeah they need to pull a good vacuum and let it hold for a while. IIRC one of the oils (or the 134a) reacts with moisture and air to produce acid which eats the aluminum from the inside out.
EGR blocked. PCV rerouted. Resonator blocked (reinstalled for looks). Bladerunner installed. Dead kitty by MBRP (front pipe) and down tube replaced with the MBRP (heat wrapped from the turbo down to the front pipe).
Performax Gauges by ISSPRO in pod over mirror and overhead console (console pod by PPE). Mike L Transmission.
----Looking to do an onboard air with a set of truck air horns. Want Nathan K5LA's but not in the budget at the moment.----

Added to the family 06 GMC CCSB 2WD LBZ SLT package. Upgrades will follow.
Old 04-29-2010, 06:39 PM
Hotrodder

Truck: MegaCab
Engine: 6.7

I've never had any problems doing an ac job on any of our tractors or pickups. And I have never pulled a vacuum on any of them. But what is the need for getting the air out?I'm just curious.

Edit: guess I should have waited.

Now pimpin a '08 Dodge 3500 Mega Cab.

Last edited by maxaholic; 04-29-2010 at 06:40 PM.
Old 04-29-2010, 06:56 PM
Hotrodder

Truck: CC/SB
Engine: LMM

Hmm guess I should take it to the dealer then?
Old 04-29-2010, 07:04 PM
Hotrodder

Truck: CCSB 4WD
Engine: LLY, LBZ

You can probably rent a vacuum pump. When you pull the vacuum, when the gauge gets to 29 or more and stops moving, leave the pump on and start the timer. Usually 30 minutes of hold time is enough to get all of the moisture out. Some of the rental companies carry them. You can use a digital fish scale to determine the freon charge. Hook up the hoses, then hook the fish scale to the screw on can tool and read the weight. As you put freon in, flip the can over and weigh the can again. Do the math, and that is your charge.
EGR blocked. PCV rerouted. Resonator blocked (reinstalled for looks). Bladerunner installed. Dead kitty by MBRP (front pipe) and down tube replaced with the MBRP (heat wrapped from the turbo down to the front pipe).
Performax Gauges by ISSPRO in pod over mirror and overhead console (console pod by PPE). Mike L Transmission.
----Looking to do an onboard air with a set of truck air horns. Want Nathan K5LA's but not in the budget at the moment.----

Added to the family 06 GMC CCSB 2WD LBZ SLT package. Upgrades will follow.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:43 PM
Hotrodder

Truck: MegaCab
Engine: 6.7

Why not use gauges? I run mine around 40psi low and 200psi high.

Now pimpin a '08 Dodge 3500 Mega Cab.
Old 04-30-2010, 06:34 AM
Hotrodder

Truck: yes
Engine: awesome

you can but to make your system work it's best, the proper charge is necessary.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:31 AM
16's, but i keep em clean

Truck: 01 2500 standard cab
Engine: lb7

first pump down the system with a vacume pump to -32psi, than fill with nitrogen to about 250psi and let it sit and check for leaks. If no leaks found pump it down one more time to -32psi, the nitrogen will extract any mousture whall doing this. (chargeing) look at the tag under the hood that tells you the amount of refrigent to put in (it will be in pounds) than you will need a tank of refrigent and a scale. put tank on scale, zero it out and start filling.when the scale gets to the proper amount stop. your done
2001 lb7, suncoast IV-1057 by Inglewood, JMK hidden traction bars and bump stop relocate kit, JMK S/S tie rod sleeves,QA1's, modded waste gate, EFI live ,JMK stinger exhaust, Aeromotive tsunami fuel pump , stock charger 12.71 @ 107mph
2005 lly ccsb 4x4 white all stock with a small tune.soo fresh and soo clean clean
2002 lb7 ecsb 4x4 white needs injectors and fix trans
sheet metal workers local 104

Last edited by JMK777; 04-30-2010 at 07:32 AM.
Old 04-30-2010, 08:18 AM
Highway Burnouts!

Truck: 08 LTZ LMM
Engine: Dmax 6.6

Ive gotta get mine done too when I get the truck back.... Im going to take it to the dealership to have them do

Cant wait to see the look when they pop the hood and I just stand there and watch hahahahha. The guys down there 'know' me I guess haha and have been wondering when they are going to get to see the setup. They just think I was replacing the motor though
Carillos, Mahles, ARP 625s, SoCal Cam, Stage 1 Heads, 60% sticks, PPE Dual CP3, HTT 66SS/GT4718R Stainless Steel Twins, PPE High Flow Intake Manifold, Up Pipes and Headers. 6" MBRP single stack. Mike L. Suncoast 4 w/ 1057