Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 11-09-2009, 06:58 AM
FNG

Default Does diesel fuel gel these days

I here diesel fuel gels in cold temperature. Is that something I should worry about? I probably fill up weekly so fuel be fresh. If it gels what do I do about that? I see products at stores for gel diesel. Should i get some just in case? Is it as simple as pour in the tank and then wait so long or what? I hope this is the right area to post this. Many questions i have seem not to fall in the sub forum groups. The site seems to be to racers or pullers. am I on the wrong site?
Old 11-09-2009, 07:32 AM
Hotrodder

Truck: 03 lb7 ccsb
Engine: lb7
Transmission: Automatic

my fuel didnt gel til about -18 degrees but i put some howes fuel treatment in it and didnt have any trouble since and will definately use the same stuff this year
ppe boost valve
hankook atm rf10 265/75/16 on pyo's 94000miles on truck
Old 11-09-2009, 09:26 AM
TOYAHOLIC

Truck: '01 Silverado 2500HD
Engine: 6.6 DURAMAX

fuel is usually treated. just use caution from where you buy it from.
Sheet Metal Workers Local #22
Creatures Of The Night Performance
ProFab Performance
Old 11-09-2009, 09:41 AM
Way Better Than Facebook

Truck: 2002 CC/SB 2500
Engine: LB7

Brad,

You are in the right place. If you post something in the wrong place, one of the admin's will place it correctly for you.

As for fuel gelling, I agree with 03maxpower, it has to get pretty cold for the fuel to gel and you can use a good quality fuel treatment to make sure it doesn't. Personally I use PowerService in my truck. They have a summer time (grey bottle) and winter time (white bottle) formula. The winter time formula includes an anti-gel additive in it. I get mine from Wal-mart but you should be able to find it in other auto stores (check the net). If you do expereince a problem with gelling, PowerService also has a product called Diesel 911. It helps get your truck running again.

Keep asking your questions. Everyone on here can help from the simplest questions to the most extreme. Educating yourself is the best tool you can have.

02 Chevy 2500HD CC/SB 4X4 LB7 w/Allison Trans
Toyo Open Country A/T2 LT265/75R16, Westin Side Steps, Line-X Bedliner, Optima Yellow Tops, Mag-Hytec Trans Pan, Mag-Hytec Diff Cover, Amsoil Synthetic 15W-40

Last edited by PhilsLB7; 11-09-2009 at 09:42 AM.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:43 AM
FNG

Thank you guys so much help. Love this truck more everyday.
Old 11-09-2009, 12:58 PM
Hotrodder

Truck: 04.5 CCSB Dmax
Engine: lly/lb7

Where do you live? Northern states you should keep some Power Service 911 in the truck no matter what. The refinery for your area will blend the fuel according to the temperatures in your area. With that said they are still only human and mistakes can be made. Last winter about half of the diesels here in Fairbanks jelled up because the refinery messed up the blend, But this is very rare.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:06 PM
Vendor

Good to know what fuel you are getting. Try and stick with the same station as much as possible once you know what you are getting. Some may keep #2 fuel all year, many switch to a blend in the winter months.
#2 fuel can actually start to crystallize at as high as 40F, but usually more of a concern below 20F. The blends can go to zero or below, but you just never know. So once you know what fuel you are getting, then you'll know whether to treat.
Also, if you fuel has any percentage of bio in it, this will make it gel a little sooner. The little added expense is worth eliminating a possible headache down the road.
Website
Purchase options
Old 11-10-2009, 03:22 PM
Hotrodder

Truck: 2006 2500HD 4x4
Engine: LBZ

Yes, diesel fuel does gel these days. I run additive in every tank. I just put in twice the amount in winter as I do in summer. When I gelled up it was about -30C. Since I started using an additive my truck has seen -50C, and I haven't gelled, yet anyway.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:18 PM
Hotrodder

The biggest problem seems to be the mixing of Biodiesel in fuel. Some state like IN mix it in for tax breaks last year it left lots of guys on the side of the road. As of last year a lot of additives weren't stopping the Bio from causing fuel to gel. Howes seemed to work the best, but hopefully a lot of companies got some reformulation done this year.

06 GMC 2500 CCSB SLT LBZ 4X4

These views expressed on this post are not my own, but rather randomly generated computer gibberish, and in no way should be used to judge the author's IQ or mental health.

Last edited by Dozerboy; 11-10-2009 at 06:18 PM.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:51 PM
<--- slippery roads

Truck: duh
Engine: duh

my truck was in -25* winters for the past 4 years and I never had any problem with gelling or anything...

FWIW..

ben
2005 chevy dmax/allison - "HOT AND DANGEROUS" - built engine and trans with parts/advice/help from the best...MikeL.Trippin.Schulte.IdahoRob.TimHecker-St.JoeDiesel.McRat.juddski.dmaxfireman.BigDipper.M PI.Bobo.GMC-2002-DMAX.fingers.RickDLance.dmaxalliTech.EFILive...sor ry no times yet, I just wanted to reserve the truck-name

BT DieselWorks, LLC - Full transmission/engine builds - EFILive tuning - full service for GM gas/diesel trucks and SUVs - Allison lockup controllers - Allison tapshift kits - dmax/alli/GM gasser standalone harnesses - custom truck electronic gadgets

All products available for sale through our online store at www.btdieselworks.com

Be sure to "like" us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/BTDWorks
Old 12-09-2013, 06:34 AM
<<<IT WORKS

Truck: 2001 CCSB
Engine: LB7

I am bring this back to life.......It's two degrees and my truck is not holding rail pressure. I have the truck in the shop to warm it up, but I was thinking of changing my fuel feilters on my fass. Is this always recommend when it is starting to gell. I need to get some part numbers get some new filters, but I am not sure what would be the best to get, what filter micron size and if i should get just napa, baldwin, or cat filters. Does the water separator need replace and what else do i need to do..... I run the normal dose of winter power-service with every tank of fuel.
ATS Dual CP3, ATS intake and S366, ARP 625 head studs and main studs, LBZ Rods, Delipped pistons, Hamilton valve Spring, 30 over injectors, 4in Turbo Back exhaust, ATS tranny and Co-Pilot, Fass 150, and Running on Moonshine.
DIED AND NOW HAS BEEN RAISE FROM THE DEAD

1971 C10 Restoration/Street Project, Hoping for a Dmax
Old 12-10-2013, 01:04 PM
Hotrodder

I would change then if they are past the 1/2 way point of your change interval. Napa, baldwin, and cat all have good filters. They generally don't have a bunch of option on what micron to get. Just make sure you have at least 1 on there that is 2 microns.

These views expressed on this post are not my own, but rather randomly generated computer gibberish, and in no way should be used to judge the author's IQ or mental health.
Old 12-10-2013, 01:19 PM
FNG

Truck: 2012 2500HD CC/SB
Engine: LML

Is fuel filter % remaining any indicator of fuel gelling ? Let's say when I leave my driveway the % life remaining is 80%. I'm 10 miles down the road and it now says 70 or less. Will it do this if it's gelling ?
Old 12-11-2013, 02:58 PM
Hotrodder

No its not IIRC. It basically uses mileage and throttle % to guesstimate when it should be changed.

Old 12-11-2013, 04:43 PM
you know

Truck: 2006 GMC EC/SB
Engine: LBZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012 DMAX View Post
Is fuel filter % remaining any indicator of fuel gelling ? Let's say when I leave my driveway the % life remaining is 80%. I'm 10 miles down the road and it now says 70 or less. Will it do this if it's gelling ?
The FF minder is just a15k mile countdown. No otherb parameters are involved.

Sent from my SCH-I535

2006 GMC EC/SB SLT. LBZ on Predator.
Blocked, Fingered & PCV Reroute. DE 4" SS DP Back
BFG 285s on PYOs. Putnam CL V, Prodigy. Adrian Box. 265,000/6085 hrs as of 9/19/14
Proud US Navy Veteran & NRA member