Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 08-24-2009, 07:53 PM
Land Speed bike racer

Truck: 2003 LB7, 2006 LLY
Transmission: Automatic
Exclamation Boost leak..? How to find

2003 6.6 Duramax, 77K miles.

All stock other than a Hypertech programmer.

Truck started to have a"whine" at 2,500 rpm and above.

Dealer told Michelle (my girlfriend and owner of the truck) it was either the intercooler or the "Blower" and that to replace the intercooler it would be 500.00 and after they replaced it and it still made noise/whine then they would need to replace the "Blower"...After the oil change was done I went to pick the truck up at Delillo Chevrolet and the service guy that had told me the intercooler or blower needed replacing was not present.

I did not inform him that the truck came with a turbo, I had asked him about checking the intercooler for leaks and he insinuated they just replace parts and they only have one guy that knows about diesels.

I took the truck out of the dealer and declined to pay the $ 110.00 they wanted to determine what the leak was, when I got the truck back I could tell from the two hand prints all that had been done was the "technician placed his two hands on top of the Black plastic engine cover as I could see the two prints.

I have tightened up all the hoses and confirmed it only happens under a load (I have three 500 plus HP motorcycles I land speed race at Bonneville and El Mirage) however is there a particular area a boost leak starts from?

I placed a boost gauge inline from the compressor side to the wastegate and it maxes out at 1.2 bar however I thought it would make more, the truck still runs great however I have the September El Mirage event coming and I want the truck in 100% shape as I have a 36' fifth wheel we tow.

Any help?

I am in Huntington Beach CA FWIW
Old 08-24-2009, 07:55 PM
Land Speed bike racer

Also, can I bypass the intercooler with a hose from the compressor side to the intake for just a quick run to see I can rule out the intercooler?

John
Old 08-24-2009, 07:56 PM
Rockin' the stock tune

Check for rub through on the intercooler tube above the steering box...steel steering line rubs through the aluminum intercooler tube.

'03 LB7... LLY swap on the horizon

EFI Live tuning by vern, jeramoosh, and The Neens

If you feel like everything is under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti

Last edited by Whitetail Addict; 08-24-2009 at 07:58 PM.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:58 PM

The best way is to cap off the boost tubes and use low pressure with an air compressor and listen for leaks. If you do a search I belive there is a writeup on how to do this.
Member #2

06 2500HD LLY reg cab 4wd

Ever feel like lying, down inside a grave
Listen to the elegy, a buyer of the hate
Ever dance beside the devil, taste the barrel of a gauge,
Ever pull the trigger, the light begins to fade
Feel like slipping away
Old 08-24-2009, 08:00 PM
That's better

Truck: 05 GMC 3500
Engine: lly & lb7

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Noonan View Post
Also, can I bypass the intercooler with a hose from the compressor side to the intake for just a quick run to see I can rule out the intercooler?

John

you could just pressurize it that way to see if its the boots ,tube or IC
get some caps from home depot and use your compressor

Are you not getting the boost you useally do?

05 CC/LB
EFI ,A/D lift pump,Cognito 7"lift /P&I supports / Banks air and exaust /ARP head studs/ Mike L stage 4 trans / EPR twins.

Abby 01 RC/LB 10.28@144mph
Arias pistons/ Howards rods / S475 & PBK twin turbos from EPR/PPE 2 CP3 / SoCal stg 2 heads & cam / 100 over sticks /Socal flexplate & dampner & girdle /DPR oil pump / Lenco-bruno trans /BD intercooler / Ted at MPL / turbo blankets from Levi
Old 08-24-2009, 08:30 PM
Hotrodder

Truck: 2001 ECSB
Engine: 6.6L LB7

Take all boots off and clean them, reinstall. See if problem goes away or gets better.

You can get windex and spray the crap out of everything and just have your GF brake boost the truck and look for bubbles, be careful though.

2013 Yukon Denali

2012 LTZ Tahoe - Sold

2009 LMM CCSB 4x4 LTZ

2009 Z06: Kooks long tubes, dyno tuned

2003 Silverado SS: American Racing 1 7/8 long tubes, 4500 stall, built 60E, comp 228R cam. - Sold

2001 LB7: SC GMAX, HTT stainless 366.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:39 PM
Land Speed bike racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitetail Addict View Post
Check for rub through on the intercooler tube above the steering box...steel steering line rubs through the aluminum intercooler tube.

Just checked and could not find any damage or dents from the steering shaft hitting..looks like it's about 1.5 inches away.

Thank you for that however as I never would have thought about it.

I will get a better look tomorrow with a mirror.

J
Old 08-24-2009, 08:40 PM
Land Speed bike racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Buick 6 View Post
The best way is to cap off the boost tubes and use low pressure with an air compressor and listen for leaks. If you do a search I belive there is a writeup on how to do this.
Yes this will be on the list I just have to get some caps/plugs..

Thank you,

John
Old 08-24-2009, 08:44 PM
Land Speed bike racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfLLY View Post
Take all boots off and clean them, reinstall. See if problem goes away or gets better.

You can get windex and spray the crap out of everything and just have your GF brake boost the truck and look for bubbles, be careful though.
My luck she will have an "accident" while I am under the hood...If I go she gets it all...I did power brake it today and the rear tires started to spin before I heard the leak.
I did pull the clamp at the compressor side and pulled the hole off, looked "normal" and I tightened the other clamps however I did not pull them I just wrenched them down a bit.

Anyone know if it is common to have a leak in a factory cooler?

Also the boost was 1.2 bar about 17.6 PSI, what is normal under full "power"

Thanks and keep the assistance coming please..

John & Michelle
Old 08-24-2009, 09:00 PM
Rockin' the stock tune

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Noonan View Post
Just checked and could not find any damage or dents from the steering shaft hitting..looks like it's about 1.5 inches away.

Thank you for that however as I never would have thought about it.

I will get a better look tomorrow with a mirror.

J
Just wanted to clarify and maybe save some headaches.

It is not the steering shaft but the power steering fluid line going into the steering box that rubs the intercooler piping. It will be on the bottom of the intercooler pipe almost against the frame...it is easier to check it if you pull the skid plate and look up from the underneath, or you can feel around the bottom of the pipe but it can be a tight squeeze. You may have to pull up on the pipe to check it thoroughly as the pipe will rest on the line and could (in theory at least) seal.

On edit...on stock tuning I saw a max of 20psi reading from the intake manifold.

'03 LB7... LLY swap on the horizon

EFI Live tuning by vern, jeramoosh, and The Neens

If you feel like everything is under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti

Last edited by Whitetail Addict; 08-24-2009 at 09:01 PM.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:14 PM
Land Speed bike racer

Quote:

It is not the steering shaft but the power steering fluid line going into the steering box that rubs the intercooler piping. It will be on the bottom of the intercooler pipe almost against the frame...it is easier to check it if you pull the skid plate and look up from the underneath, or you can feel around the bottom of the pipe but it can be a tight squeeze. You may have to pull up on the pipe to check it thoroughly as the pipe will rest on the line and could (in theory at least) seal.

On edit...on stock tuning I saw a max of 20psi reading from the intake manifold.
I understand, I will look first thing in the morning when I can see and also make a little noise..any chance of the wastegate going bad? I don't think it is however I plugged the compressor side hose and then stuck 20 psi to the wastegate and left it there, the truck ran like a dead dog since the boost was just running out the gate however I never heard the sound while doing that.

John
Old 08-25-2009, 09:37 AM
Land Speed bike racer

Exclamation

Quote:

Well since I work at a home office I just spent my "break" working on the truck, I did remove the inner fender liner and then I went and removed the pipe completely, I looked at it and I see the rubbing/chaffing marks however it is not all the way thorough however upon reassembly I will wrap it and make sure to protect it a little longer.

Later I will remove the other side or get a better look at it (does it come out as easy as the drivers side pipe) as the sound seems to be coming from the passenger side when I am driving.

Thank you for the help so far..

John
Old 08-25-2009, 07:15 PM
Land Speed bike racer

Well today between calls I removed the rest of the intake system and both Aluminum tube from the intercooler.

I went to Home depot and found some plugs that fit right in the end of the hose from the intercooler. I tapped a fitting for my air compressor on one end and left the other sealed.

I then allowed my glue to seal since I was not planning on reusing these new "tools" I just made and then I went on to check the intercooler.

I found NOTHING...no leak up to 25psi..so now Michelle's truck is all apart and I have no idea where th leak is?

Do the wastegates ever go bad and leak?

Anyone..?

Thanks.

John
Old 08-25-2009, 08:00 PM
Hotrodder

Truck: 2001 ECSB
Engine: 6.6L LB7

They can go bad. Your charger may be due.

2013 Yukon Denali

2012 LTZ Tahoe - Sold

2009 LMM CCSB 4x4 LTZ

2009 Z06: Kooks long tubes, dyno tuned

2003 Silverado SS: American Racing 1 7/8 long tubes, 4500 stall, built 60E, comp 228R cam. - Sold

2001 LB7: SC GMAX, HTT stainless 366.
Old 08-25-2009, 08:02 PM

Don't know if the waste gate would be making it whine, maybe y-bridge gasket Hows the shaft play on the charger?
Member #2

06 2500HD LLY reg cab 4wd

Ever feel like lying, down inside a grave
Listen to the elegy, a buyer of the hate
Ever dance beside the devil, taste the barrel of a gauge,
Ever pull the trigger, the light begins to fade
Feel like slipping away