Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 04-30-2009, 05:35 PM
Hard Up

Truck: GMC CCSB 4x4
Engine: LMM
Transmission: Automatic

Motor disconnects fairly easily, if the front clip was off... I say 2-3 hours you could have the motor out. And once the motor is out you have full access to wrench on everything. I think you could have the heads off, gaskets changed, heads back on and ready to go in a day or so. I guess overall I'm saying it can be done in 2 full days (14 hours) if your prepared.
Old 05-01-2009, 02:41 PM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMOS View Post
Motor disconnects fairly easily, if the front clip was off... I say 2-3 hours you could have the motor out. And once the motor is out you have full access to wrench on everything. I think you could have the heads off, gaskets changed, heads back on and ready to go in a day or so. I guess overall I'm saying it can be done in 2 full days (14 hours) if your prepared.
you mean one day??

The front clip isnt much work and removing the motor isnt much either. 3 grounds a couple brackets, the P/S pump, the two bale connectors, disconnect the front pipe, get the front clip out of the way, remove the intake and unbolt the trans. Takes me 4 hours not working too hard but i also choose to completely remove the trans so that the truckcanbe rolled out of the shop if needed.
Puller:2003 LB7 GMC
Toy:1973 Kenworth W923
Farm:02,11,13 Duramax/Allisons
Old 05-01-2009, 04:31 PM
Hard Up

Truck: GMC CCSB 4x4
Engine: LMM

I was saying 2 full days you could have head gaskets changed and up and running again if you pull the motor out of the truck.

I'm thinking it will take longer to do in the truck. Plus when its in the truck, one little problem can turn into a big one fairly easily and take quite a bit of time.

... Kinda of like the stupid transmission dipstick. That dipstick BD sends with the install kit is pure crap! I spent about 2 hours bending the shiot out of that thing trying to "tweak" it into place. Finally I just grabbed the stock one, threw it in with no bending required and carried on... I folded the BD one up and chucked it in the garbage.
Old 05-30-2009, 08:11 PM

I only pull the radiator, I don't pull off the front clip and you can get all the bolts out with out tiping the engine by the trans It's not that bad to do. I will usually pull the exhaust manifolds off it makes it easier to pull the heads.

built motor

Custom Compound Twins
Old 05-31-2009, 09:16 AM
Hotrodder

Front clip takes all of 20 minutes to remove, so why not do it to make it easier?? Besides its brittle and leaning over it could break it.
Puller:2003 LB7 GMC
Toy:1973 Kenworth W923
Farm:02,11,13 Duramax/Allisons