Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 10-21-2017, 11:38 PM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozerboy View Post
Lol Let's see properly taking care of a vehical and posibly burning a fraction of a cent of fuel vs a $2500 turbo plus install. Yep you better not let your vehicle dictate anything to you. Heck why even change the oil and filters.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Let's see, 2 minutes "cooling down" x 300 days a year = 600 minutes x 11 years of duramax ownership = 110 hours I would have pissed away, sitting in a truck, waiting for it to cool down.
That's time spent otherwise working, which I do during the day; when I am driving my truck. That would pay for several turbos over again in the course of a year, at my rates and residuals I manage (Let me remind you, I've never had a major failure; outside of lb7 injectors).
Let's not get into the debate of the amount of fuel that would have been wasted away, idling over that time period. Money is money, but there's a reason some people have it as a tool, and others work their lives away for it.

Also, never in my post did I mention anything about neglecting the maintenance of my vehicles.

So you're correct. As much as I enjoy the hobby of my trucks, I will not allow it to dictate how I treat it or drive it; because, it is a vehicle, not my life.
Old 10-22-2017, 05:46 AM
Sky View Imaging

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonDMAX View Post
Unless water temp is 200+ and oil is 220+ then your point is mute
It’s not mute. I can talk just fine. It’s moot.

And it’s common sense. Coolant circulating through a turbo cools it.
Alpine White Brown Dakota Leather Premium/Cold/Smoker Pkg LED AEs MTec D1S 50% tint
2000 Buick Regal GS
Bright White Lowered Homemade CAI 4500K HIDs Supercharged Beater
Old 10-22-2017, 07:25 AM
Hotrodder

I haul my boat regularly (16,000lbs) if I happen to be working the truck hard which I do.... I will leave the truck run for a min. But I just hit the remote starter button and then take the key out. The turn it off when Im ready. But I also think just a min of regular driving is enough cool down time. On top of that I usually have to gather my shit before I get out of the truck. Then I shut her down. Plenty of time
diamond eye down pipe
bd manifold
airdog 150
custom 5in pipe to 6in powdercoated stack
fleece sc stage 4 . thanks again brayden

team borrowed time member #8
cedarfalls raceway- sep/27/09 12.63@107mph
Old 10-22-2017, 11:08 AM
Hotrodder

I used to have to wait for cool down but now I just drive the last little bit easy and shutter down usually 400 degrees . On warm up to understand what happens take a accetalyne torch and cut a thin strip of steel and watch it warp and then imagine the inside of your cylinder making a thousand degrees and your block and crank and oil 15 degrees or whatever ambient temp is. That high cylinder temp makes all of the material in your engine expand at a terrific rate. Once everything has stabilized the high cylinder temp isn't an issue. Your engine needs a gradual temperature transition for component longevity. Just my uneducated opinion. Someone with some actual schooling chime in here.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 10-22-2017, 11:22 AM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisuns View Post
Let's see, 2 minutes "cooling down" x 300 days a year = 600 minutes x 11 years of duramax ownership = 110 hours I would have pissed away, sitting in a truck, waiting for it to cool down.
That's time spent otherwise working, which I do during the day; when I am driving my truck. That would pay for several turbos over again in the course of a year, at my rates and residuals I manage (Let me remind you, I've never had a major failure; outside of lb7 injectors).
Let's not get into the debate of the amount of fuel that would have been wasted away, idling over that time period. Money is money, but there's a reason some people have it as a tool, and others work their lives away for it.

Also, never in my post did I mention anything about neglecting the maintenance of my vehicles.

So you're correct. As much as I enjoy the hobby of my trucks, I will not allow it to dictate how I treat it or drive it; because, it is a vehicle, not my life.
Someone piss in your Cheerios or what? Did you read any posts? No body said it had to cool down every time you drive it. That's the point of this thread.

Its aparent your in a bad mood so I just leave this other little tidbit of info for you and be done here. 110 hrs of idling is only about a tank of fuel. So in 11 years no loss there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

06 GMC 2500 CCSB SLT LBZ 4X4

These views expressed on this post are not my own, but rather randomly generated computer gibberish, and in no way should be used to judge the author's IQ or mental health.