Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 06-04-2015, 07:32 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brassfield View Post
SOOOOO much info, Do you ever sleep?
I have a one year old thats not a good sleeper so no!!

Quote:
OregonDMax - With all of the things Russell tested and everything I've seen I see no need for an s300 on an lb7 anymore these days.
Russell you did an amazing job on all of this I'm glad I can say I have some of you work under my hood.
Thanks Sean!! Glad you're happy with everything and its performing to your expectations. Once you get that tranny done you'll like it even more!!!

Quote:
MaxSmoke - Killer job Russ!!! Thanks for your all you time and money invested and for you to lay it all out for us to see says something about the kind of guy you are!!!!
Thanks!! Its useful info that I know others would like. Hopefully it will help people make decision based off what they use their pickup for.

Quote:
56taskforce - Wow thanks for all the hard work Russ. Just skimmed through it so for but see some pretty surprising results for sure.
Thanks I was very surprised as well when I first start years ago.

PHP Code:
blk smoke lb7 Russ great results and info.Thats alot of hard work and money spent to get those results.It also shows greater gains with the porting and polishing,glad I got mine done 
Thanks Scott Glad to see you on the forum again and good talk the other night as always!!

Quote:
Harbin_22 - What is going to happen to these modded IHI's when you thrown some fuel to them? I thought everybody quit messing with them because the shafts break too easy.
Shaft diameter where the compressor wheel rides for an IHI - 0.302"
Shaft diameter where the compressor wheel rides for an LLY-4094 - 0.294"
Shaft diameter where the bearings ride on for an IHI - 0.448"
Shaft diameter where the bearings ride on an LLY-4094 - 0.452"
Smallest diameter on the turbine shaft where the compressor threads start on an IHI - 0.241"
Smallest diameter on the turbine shaft where the compressor threads start on an LLY-LMM - 0.230"
Smallest diameter on the turbine shaft where the compressor threads start on an 3794 & 4094 - 0.215"

With all the diameters being so close and with LLY-4094 having places with the smallest diameter I would think they would fail more than an IHI. My guess(again guess, I have no proof) is that people are breaking IHI turbine shafts being they're putting a lot of fuel to them and the turbine wheel size(inducer & exducer) is smaller than an LLY-4094 so the back/drive pressure gets so high that the shafts fail. Again I have no proof but just my thoughts.

With my stock motor/injectors/fuel I've not been able to test the IHI till it breaks. My boost has been at 35psi with back/drive pressure at 58psi. So far this turbo thats had all the different wheels in it, 100+ dyno runs, hours of hard acceleration & lag testing, its held up great. I predicted/planned on having a turbo failure but so far so good.

I'm also not looking for peak power till the turbo fails, I was looking at how each wheel increase hp/torque as well as drivablitlity/spool up. That is a good question though, sorry I don't have an answer.

Quote:
JDub - The Stealth 64 Duramaxtuner offers has been doing quite well with 30% injectors, 600-615hp. But that's definitely the upper limits...
Thats pretty good for that turbo and I wouldn't want to push it anymore. Longevity wise I don't see it putting up with the abuse, haha. If someone is after 600+hp I wouldn't suggest an IHI, S300 or twins would be my recommendation.

Yellowchevy
Old 06-04-2015, 08:01 AM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDub View Post
The Stealth 64 Duramaxtuner offers has been doing quite well with 30% injectors, 600-615hp. But that's definitely the upper limits...
What are they doing with stock injectors?
100% exergy's
Dual cp3's
Old 06-04-2015, 11:54 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel53 View Post
What are they doing with stock injectors?
If you look at the first page you'll see I made just under 480hp with stock injectors & cp3.

Yellowchevy
Old 06-05-2015, 05:28 PM
Let's Start A Riot

WOW! Awesome info and results Russ!. Definitely has me thinking of a modded IHI, especially for the price. Hmmm, decisions, decisions. Can you send me pricing info Russ.

Oh, and did I miss the videos? Are they in here?

2013 Silverado, Plasti Dipped front bowtie, Naked tailgate

SOLD'05 CC 4x4, 5" Straight, EFI live, Cognito tie rods and braces, Rancho 9000 XL, bumper lift, PPE shim, JVC 840, 3" shackles, T & B Fab traction bars, 20" H2's, PPE V, Precision ML, FASS Titanium 150, S475 w/race cover over stock, 3" y bridge, afe hot pipe

One Big Ass Mistake America
Old 06-05-2015, 08:20 PM
Hotrodder

That is some great info! My hat is off to you sir! I may not get shed of the ol' LB7 afterall
2k13 CC/SB Chevy
2k2 CC/SB Chevy ZF-6
2k4.5 CC/SB GMC
2k7 CC/SB GMC
Old 06-09-2015, 09:33 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycrew View Post
WOW! Awesome info and results Russ!. Definitely has me thinking of a modded IHI, especially for the price. Hmmm, decisions, decisions. Can you send me pricing info Russ.

Oh, and did I miss the videos? Are they in here?
Thanks Brooks
PM sent
I've not posted them yet. I've got the one edited but new to figure out how to combine them all; I'm not the best with the Mac!!

Quote:
That is some great info! My hat is off to you sir! I may not get shed of the ol' LB7 afterall
Thanks Every turbo has its place and application.

Yellowchevy
Old 09-14-2015, 12:53 PM
adrenaline junkie

From what I could see from the original post, I didn't see any mention about mods if any to the waste-gate or the addition of a boost valve (PPE or other)... what was done in those regards?

And also with that question it brings me to the next question about what peak boost was? ....while holding 5th? from what I see in stock form is about 28psi (tapped into the waste-gate line before the boost valve. others on here have reported 34ish after the batmowheel?
After talking with the dingbat I call a good friend James (chevy1925), I am heavily thinking about sticking a batmowheel in my stock IHI... from reading your thread it sounds like we are running very similar set-ups... built trans, lift pump, 4" exhaust, my own custom turbo horn, and a max effort tune 31/31ish.

Thanks in advanced and absolutely awesome write up BTW

2003 CCSB SLT 4x4 250K
best time to date: 12.769 @ 105.34
Stock motor/sticks/studs/turbo
Built trans (Gmax5R/MLG), traction bars built by me, lift pump, 3.5" turbo horn built by me, boost valve (replaced with 1/4" regulator), etc.

Built prerunner 2001 Tacoma extcab: Total Chaos LT, Kings all the way around, Deavers, bed cage, etc.

Big thanks to James, Steve, Brian, Levi, Josh and others for the knowledge and help along the way
Old 09-14-2015, 01:24 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastpunker View Post
From what I could see from the original post, I didn't see any mention about mods if any to the waste-gate or the addition of a boost valve (PPE or other)... what was done in those regards?

And also with that question it brings me to the next question about what peak boost was? ....while holding 5th? from what I see in stock form is about 28psi (tapped into the waste-gate line before the boost valve. others on here have reported 34ish after the batmowheel?
After talking with the dingbat I call a good friend James (chevy1925), I am heavily thinking about sticking a batmowheel in my stock IHI... from reading your thread it sounds like we are running very similar set-ups... built trans, lift pump, 4" exhaust, my own custom turbo horn, and a max effort tune 31/31ish.

Thanks in advanced and absolutely awesome write up BTW
Thought I did but could have missed it. I have an air regulator that I adjusted to give me 30psi of boost on the bone stock turbo. The regulator is between the cover and wastegate itself.

On my baseline run using the bone stock turbo, my boost was an average of 29psi. Average boost for the different wheels using the stock turbo is as follows,
batmowheel - 32.2psi
Wetzel wheel - 32.5psi
TS/Wicked Wheel - 32.4psi
63.5 Wheel - 33psi.

Average boost with the ported/polished turbo,
Stock wheel - 31.8psi
batmowheel - 33psi
Wetzel Wheel - 32.6psi
TS/Wicked Wheel - 33.2psi
63.5 wheel - 34

I set my air regulator at the beginning and I didn't touch it after that. When on the dyno I would see my boost hit 35-37psi for a split second then then hold steady at the numbers listed above.

My boost gauge is tapped into my stock y-bridge so thats where all my numbers are coming from.

If you're not wanting to modify the turbo then just throwing a batmowheel in is a good upgrade to get a little more power and a little better throttle response/drive ability. Obviously a modified housing gives you better performance but If you're not wanting to spend the money and like a challenge you can swap the wheels.

No problem, hope I clarified everything for you.

Yellowchevy
Old 09-14-2015, 01:43 PM
don't know sh!t about IFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowchevy View Post
Thought I did but could have missed it. I have an air regulator that I adjusted to give me 30psi of boost on the bone stock turbo. The regulator is between the cover and wastegate itself.

On my baseline run using the bone stock turbo, my boost was an average of 29psi. Average boost for the different wheels using the stock turbo is as follows,
batmowheel - 32.2psi
Wetzel wheel - 32.5psi
TS/Wicked Wheel - 32.4psi
63.5 Wheel - 33psi.

Average boost with the ported/polished turbo,
Stock wheel - 31.8psi
batmowheel - 33psi
Wetzel Wheel - 32.6psi
TS/Wicked Wheel - 33.2psi
63.5 wheel - 34

I set my air regulator at the beginning and I didn't touch it after that. When on the dyno I would see my boost hit 35-37psi for a split second then then hold steady at the numbers listed above.

My boost gauge is tapped into my stock y-bridge so thats where all my numbers are coming from.

If you're not wanting to modify the turbo then just throwing a batmowheel in is a good upgrade to get a little more power and a little better throttle response/drive ability. Obviously a modified housing gives you better performance but If you're not wanting to spend the money and like a challenge you can swap the wheels.

No problem, hope I clarified everything for you.

Yellowchevy
Jon (fastpunker) is a good buddy of mine, Russ. we were talking about his stock turbo and upgrades last weekend when he was in town. He generally over thinks things being an injumaneer .
James

02 LL7 2500HD CC/LB dmax/alli "The Limo"

BIG THANKS TO: Mike L, Steve, Trent, Guy, Dan, Ruben, Josh H, Scott, Brian and everyone else who has put a hand in to help me.

best time to date: 12.39

motor died/bent rods = 3/11/11
back from the dead 7:04pm 4/9/2012

Limo is back in the garage, now driving a built chevy tracker
Tailgate Crew Member #4
Old 09-14-2015, 01:47 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy1925 View Post
Jon (fastpunker) is a good buddy of mine, Russ. we were talking about his stock turbo and upgrades last weekend when he was in town. He generally over thinks things being an injumaneer .
His biggest down fall is knowing you!!!
If you can put up with him he must be a good guy.
I've got a few used IHI batmowheels if he's needing one.

Yellowchevy
Old 09-14-2015, 02:10 PM
don't know sh!t about IFS

Quote:

Yellowchevy
all my friends say the same thing, it aint nothing new!
James

02 LL7 2500HD CC/LB dmax/alli "The Limo"

BIG THANKS TO: Mike L, Steve, Trent, Guy, Dan, Ruben, Josh H, Scott, Brian and everyone else who has put a hand in to help me.

best time to date: 12.39

motor died/bent rods = 3/11/11
back from the dead 7:04pm 4/9/2012

Limo is back in the garage, now driving a built chevy tracker
Tailgate Crew Member #4
Old 09-14-2015, 02:11 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy1925 View Post
all my friends say the same thing, it aint nothing new!
I would expect nothing less!!

Yellowchevy
Old 09-15-2015, 06:13 AM
adrenaline junkie

Quote:

Yellowchevy

Being friends with James takes work, it helps that his mom and wife pay me to be his friend!

I am very interested in a used wheel Russ, send me a pm and make me an offer I cant refuse

What kind of regulator are you using? ....something along the lines of the half getto route being a homer-deposhit 3/8" or 1/4" reg (like I helped Bri Bri on his reg cab lol), or is it something designed for our turbos? Sorry the injumaneer and redneck parts of my brain are screaming at each other

2003 CCSB SLT 4x4 250K
best time to date: 12.769 @ 105.34
Stock motor/sticks/studs/turbo
Built trans (Gmax5R/MLG), traction bars built by me, lift pump, 3.5" turbo horn built by me, boost valve (replaced with 1/4" regulator), etc.

Built prerunner 2001 Tacoma extcab: Total Chaos LT, Kings all the way around, Deavers, bed cage, etc.

Big thanks to James, Steve, Brian, Levi, Josh and others for the knowledge and help along the way
Old 10-15-2015, 11:58 AM
GM TECH @ FENDER GMC

Nice read glad to see results to compare
2006 Chevy 2500HD LBZ Duramax Summit White CCSB Tan (neutral) leather LT3 pkg w/sunroof OEM bra 4x4, ISSPRO EV, ATS Twin CP3's, Built Allison, Eaton E-locker front stock G80 rear, Kennedy Twin pump filter combo kit, Snow Perf Stage 2 w/m injection, 4in to 5in banks tip, HM Big K&N, Mickey Thompson Baja Claw TTC 315/75/16 on stock rims, Rancho RS9000XL, Fabtech HD TR, Cognito P&I Brace kit, DD/Puller/Work Truck

2002 Chevy 2500HD LB7 Duramax Summit White CCSB Grey (neutral) leather LT3 pkg OEM bra 4x4, Kennedy Twin Pump Filter Combo Kit, ISSPRO EV, PPE Boost Valve, DTS Built Allison, MikeL Cooler, ATS Billet Flexplate, DTS 3in DS IC pipe, Bill's 5in CAI (White), Big K&N, 4in to 7in black stack, Mickey Thompson Baja Claw TTC 315/75/16 on stock rims, Cognito P&I Brace kit, Sleeves, Energy Sway bar Kit, DD/Puller/Work truck

Special Thanks: (David) DTS, (Guy) Socal Diesel, (Nick & crew) DuramaxTuner, (Dan) PPE, (John) Kennedy Diesel, (Tony) All Season
Old 11-11-2015, 09:39 PM
misspeelleerr

Russ turbo getting a workout at about 28,000lbs gross with big tune
99 FL60 8.3 12v 13sp
Quote:
smooth seas never made a skillfull salior