Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 01-25-2012, 12:11 PM
Gearhead

Default HP Cloud Services Folding and Invites

I got into the Private Beta for HP last week. I am currently folding on 3 instances. . . just started last night.

Today I received an email offering more Beta invites.

Quote:
Hi,

We appreciate your help as we build out HP Cloud Services, increasing functionality and ironing out kinks. Thank you for your help and feedback, we wouldn’t be where we are today without you.

As a trusted beta tester, we’re offering you the opportunity to invite five friends to try out our cloud compute and cloud storage services. Five of your closest friends will be pre-qualified for our private beta and will receive invites immediately. This is your chance to get them priority access to our exclusive, free private beta.

Here’s how you do it.
1. Point your referrals to sign up at http://hpcloud.com/sign_up
2. Instruct them to type“@hpcloud” in the twitter field. We’re accepting referrals until 1/28/12. Forward away!

Thanks for being a loyal Private Beta participant,

Chris J. Anderson MHR
HP Cloud Sales Engineer
Here is a guide to get you started if you are accepted. You will need to be in Linux or run VM with a linux image to set it up.

You are only allowed 20 cores or 5 instances.

If you run the core hack, you can run -bigadv on each 8 core instance.

I am currently getting 50-60k PPD per -bigadv instance and 8k PPD on my 4 core instance.

Good luck.

Old 02-07-2012, 06:38 PM
Hotrodder

Try as I may, I simply can't understand WTF y'all are saying 95% of the time. God bless you all for knowing it all, I just haven't been exposed to enough of the language to really even comprehend.

For example, wth is an instance?? You said you're doing such-n-such per instance. And what's "ppd" stand for?

It's so fascinating what I think you a are doing but I just struggle truly understanding much of it. lol

SOLD02 Chevy 2500HD D/A EC SB LS
SCIII & X-Case brace by MA, Team Salad tuning & Trippin's DSP5, 4" Diamond Eye exhaust, Fumoto Valve, partially debadged, Rhino Bed Liner, SuperDiesel Intake Manifold and Ported Turbo Inlet

1983 GMC K30 CC SHORT BED
Awaiting Dmax/Allison Chassis Swap

Old 02-07-2012, 06:46 PM
<<<< No Horsepower

I don't even know what folding is either and I have a duramax scientist thing in my avatar for some reason Are you giving other computers power while yours in hibernating to save power for strangers?? I was always so confused also
7.78@87.7

2.5 puller in the Mecca!!

Manual Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by BgBlDodge View Post
Al gore invented driving the turbo.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:22 PM
Pro Tuner Wannabe

Points Per Day!

Old 02-08-2012, 08:45 AM
Hotrodder

What's a point? Just a means to keep "score" or...?

This whole folding thing is them sending problems (algorithms?) to be ran/solved on your machine. It's loaning your hardware to them for the use of solving problems, right? So that essentially they cumulatively have an enormous computer with huge calculating capabilities, right?

SOLD02 Chevy 2500HD D/A EC SB LS
SCIII & X-Case brace by MA, Team Salad tuning & Trippin's DSP5, 4" Diamond Eye exhaust, Fumoto Valve, partially debadged, Rhino Bed Liner, SuperDiesel Intake Manifold and Ported Turbo Inlet

1983 GMC K30 CC SHORT BED
Awaiting Dmax/Allison Chassis Swap

Old 02-08-2012, 10:06 AM
Ghost in the Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeShow View Post
This whole folding thing is them sending problems (algorithms?) to be ran/solved on your machine. It's loaning your hardware to them for the use of solving problems, right? So that essentially they cumulatively have an enormous computer with huge calculating capabilities, right?
Yes to all of the above.

The points are just a way of making it a competition. It really is just a way to maybe solve health issues: Alzheimer, cancer, etc etc.

Privately owned since August 2006.