Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 07-27-2015, 10:08 AM
Hotrodder

Here are some pics. you should be able to compare the resistance between the #1 and # 3 injector by testing resistance between the first two pins and then compare the resistance with your meter cross the last two pins in the connector.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg plug.jpg (70.4 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg Inj.jpg (72.5 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg Meter.jpg (98.3 KB, 44 views)
Old 07-28-2015, 05:29 AM
racer

Yeah I did notice that also with the spliced wires, I did check the ohms of the injector coil but forgot what it read like .4 I think and the other 3 on the bank read higher, I also did a continuity test to ground on the 4 passenger injectors, inj #1 pinged (grounded) the other 3 did not. So if i used the correct method thatconfirms inj#1 shorted to ground, but I still don't know why.. could the injector coil have just gone bad like anything else? The new #1 injector is already in I just don't want to plug it all back together, try it and have the injector short again because I didn't find why it happened in the first place
Old 07-28-2015, 10:37 PM
Vote for Pedro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPierson51 View Post
The new #1 injector is already in I just don't want to plug it all back together, try it and have the injector short again because I didn't find why it happened in the first place
EDIT: Do'h. Sounds like you've already been in there to replace the injector...

The injector harness itself is simple, as you saw when you had the valve cover off. You can test the harness for shorts to ground and the like when it is disconnected from injector 1. Since the injector harness is fixed in place under the valve cover, it is probably not the culprit, but still worth checking.

I'm not sure if you mentioned it earlier or know all the details about your failed injector (total miles on it, rebuilt/new Bosch cores, etc.), but it could very well be from a failed solenoid. The solenoids in injectors are electromechanical components and fire several times every other engine revolution. Combine that with thousands of hours/millions of revolutions, they can and do go bad. They could have significantly more use if your injectors were rebuilt on used cores. It is likely that a winding or wire failed internally, and is now shorting to ground.

2003 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 RC/LB - 60% over injectors, Mike L Trans, Billet S366, SoCal/ATI Balancer, EFI Live. Verified CA Smog legal as of 7/2015

2003 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer - Soon to be the recipient of a LB7 from a wrecked pickup. Stay tuned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02greysixer View Post
You can't log a longhorn tuned truck. They run on unicorn farts and fairy dust. It's built into the tune. The sheer bad-assness can't be transmitted into the efi scan tool.

Last edited by Duramax One; 07-28-2015 at 10:42 PM. Reason: Derp - reread, grammar fixes
Old 07-29-2015, 06:19 PM
racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duramax One View Post
EDIT: Do'h. Sounds like you've already been in there to replace the injector...

The injector harness itself is simple, as you saw when you had the valve cover off. You can test the harness for shorts to ground and the like when it is disconnected from injector 1. Since the injector harness is fixed in place under the valve cover, it is probably not the culprit, but still worth checking.

I'm not sure if you mentioned it earlier or know all the details about your failed injector (total miles on it, rebuilt/new Bosch cores, etc.), but it could very well be from a failed solenoid. The solenoids in injectors are electromechanical components and fire several times every other engine revolution. Combine that with thousands of hours/millions of revolutions, they can and do go bad. They could have significantly more use if your injectors were rebuilt on used cores. It is likely that a winding or wire failed internally, and is now shorting to ground.

I've owned this truck for over 4 years without opening a valve cover it was time I have a look and see if its as scary as ive read... turns out I can deal with it, wasn't that scary lol, since its been out of commission two months already and barley any progress I decided to just go for it, the injectors in the truck are 4 years old and brand new dealer installs, I bought it from a used car place with 57k on the odometer thinking I got a good deal low miles and all, check engine light came on during the trip home from picking it up, (after the flat tire two blocks off the car lot) dealer said it was injectors, had em changed, over a year later a few leaks on high pressure lines on #5,6,7,8 occurred, changed them and no more leaks other than that ran good till now (116k) so the injectors have about 60k on them
Old 07-29-2015, 06:33 PM
racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmc1025 View Post
The Ficm harness has some wires spliced together, a couple orange/white and some orange/black so what you are finding with the harness is probably OK. Did you check the resistance of the injector coil?

checked them, the new one already installed as well as# 3,5,7 read about .9-1.8 ohms, the "bad one" I extracted reads like.4 ohms, but I think I found something today, I noticed a ground strap that goes from the firewall to the hood was broken, I repaired it temporarily with a piece of wire... up until I fixed this ground my multi-meter would jump all over the place from 0L - 76.8 or something crazy ohms like really all over the place I thought my 2 month old meter was already broken or something, but I fixed that ground and it reads more steady..

Last edited by RPierson51; 07-29-2015 at 06:38 PM.
Old 07-31-2015, 07:48 AM
racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPierson51 View Post
checked them, the new one already installed as well as# 3,5,7 read about .9-1.8 ohms, the "bad one" I extracted reads like.4 ohms, but I think I found something today, I noticed a ground strap that goes from the firewall to the hood was broken, I repaired it temporarily with a piece of wire... up until I fixed this ground my multi-meter would jump all over the place from 0L - 76.8 or something crazy ohms like really all over the place I thought my 2 month old meter was already broken or something, but I fixed that ground and it reads more steady..
Soo... does this sound like I found my problem? If so its about ready to go back together
Old 08-20-2015, 06:45 AM
racer

yeah so a week and a half ago i put it all back together with the new injector and it ran great.. until this morning, half way to work and all of a sudden same thing: loss of power sounded like a tractor, and 1,4,6,&7 are out again, i guess the original injector shorting wasnt just the injector, something must have caused it since it seemed like its happened again
Old 08-21-2015, 06:11 AM
FNG

I am having similar issues with my truck. I put some remanned injectors in her, but they sat on a shelf for a while after a friend pulled them (only had 20k on them) to go bigger. Mine started fuel knock then shut off with these codes. I wondered if the silnoids were grounding out of the actual injector is bad/sticking. Is there a way to tell or is it a common issue? Pierson, do you know the history of the injectors before you got the truck?
Old 08-21-2015, 09:06 PM
racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirRoland View Post
I am having similar issues with my truck. I put some remanned injectors in her, but they sat on a shelf for a while after a friend pulled them (only had 20k on them) to go bigger. Mine started fuel knock then shut off with these codes. I wondered if the silnoids were grounding out of the actual injector is bad/sticking. Is there a way to tell or is it a common issue? Pierson, do you know the history of the injectors before you got the truck?
The injectors are dealer installed 4 years ago, besides the one I installed last week that was a reman, I un plugged the injector harnesses and ohmed each injector out seperately and they all ohm out like. 4-.6 ohms so Im hoping it isn't another injector although its running the same codes
Old 09-13-2015, 04:39 PM
FNG

I know the thread has been dead for a minute, but I wanted to give you an update. I took the chance and just replaced my injector solenoids and she runs great now. When I tested the resistance from one 'nipple' of the solenoid to the other they all read good, but I decided to chance it anyways. I think they must have gone bad just sitting for a year or so. Hope this helps someone in the future.
Old 09-16-2015, 03:18 PM
racer

Default this thread is not dead, my truck still is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirRoland View Post
I know the thread has been dead for a minute, but I wanted to give you an update. I took the chance and just replaced my injector solenoids and she runs great now. When I tested the resistance from one 'nipple' of the solenoid to the other they all read good, but I decided to chance it anyways. I think they must have gone bad just sitting for a year or so. Hope this helps someone in the future.
i didnt know the solenoid itself can be replaced without replacing the whole injector i woulda just done that when i replaced #1 inj. oh well, i tested all mine again and they all test good how could the solenoids be bad then? how long/miles has it been since you did this and your trucks running good? where did you get the solenoids? This thread is not dead i check it often as my issue is not resolved and i need my truck fixed badly
Old 06-13-2018, 07:58 PM
Gearhead

I'm reviving this thread because it is now happening to me.

Can I get an update on what the solution was?

I'm dying for answers.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:50 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylerrc34 View Post
I'm reviving this thread because it is now happening to me.

Can I get an update on what the solution was?

I'm dying for answers.
First things first did you go through the harness and check it out well for rubs that would cause a short?
Old 06-13-2018, 09:38 PM
Hotrodder

I had three solenoids short out on me over the time i had my LB7

First one I ended up replacing it with a new one for the dealership

2nd, and 3rd, I ended up purchasing a few used injectors on ebay and just swapped the coils out leaving the injector body in place.

I made a special socket for the solenoids being that they are somewhere around an 18 sided nut. Took a 1" emt and heated red and tapped it onto a bad injector solenoid so as to form it to the shape

All three shorted to ground and I believe two of them where #5 or #7. Dont remember but it was the same one twice

Just like any injector swap, you need to be meticulously clean and make sure you dont reassemble the high pressure lines if anything is in the injector fuel input conector.

I have no idea why they shorted out
Old 06-14-2018, 08:53 AM
Gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBZ View Post
First things first did you go through the harness and check it out well for rubs that would cause a short?
Yes, all wires from the ECM to the FICM and from the FICM to injector harnesses have continuity.