Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 05-28-2017, 12:01 PM
Hotrodder

You should look into kryptonite front end parts. They build a badass kit it's bout 1400 bucks but it comes with HD tie rods, center link, pitman arm, cognito braces, and hardware. It's mostly if not all lifetime warranty. Way thicker and tougher. It would support high hp launches if that was in your future lol. And you can buy just the individual pieces instead of dropping 1400 at one time. They make stage 1, 2 and 3 kits. You don't have to ditch the leveling kit. I have a 6 in lift and with supporting front end parts that I have I don't have an issue. If the installer is good and the kit is good the geometry of everything will be pretty good. Leveling kits I heard they tweak shit which is bad. Lift pump is a must, I recommend airdog II 4G 165 lift pump, don't do the Cat fuel filters it's dumb it doesn't separate water out of your fuel. Personal opinion. If you don't have the few grand for the transmission I'd focus on your transmission temperature since that is one of the biggest factors in as transmission going out get a good aftermarket transmission cooler, deep vented trans pan and a shift kit. Probably a deeper vented rear diff pan too. Of course efi live too. Good luck. That's just some of the stuff you should get. Tip of the ice berg lol.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 05-28-2017, 12:58 PM
It's actually Zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008lmmchopper View Post
You should look into kryptonite front end parts. They build a badass kit it's bout 1400 bucks but it comes with HD tie rods, center link, pitman arm, cognito braces, and hardware. It's mostly if not all lifetime warranty. Way thicker and tougher. It would support high hp launches if that was in your future lol. And you can buy just the individual pieces instead of dropping 1400 at one time. They make stage 1, 2 and 3 kits. You don't have to ditch the leveling kit. I have a 6 in lift and with supporting front end parts that I have I don't have an issue. If the installer is good and the kit is good the geometry of everything will be pretty good. Leveling kits I heard they tweak shit which is bad. Lift pump is a must, I recommend airdog II 4G 165 lift pump, don't do the Cat fuel filters it's dumb it doesn't separate water out of your fuel. Personal opinion. If you don't have the few grand for the transmission I'd focus on your transmission temperature since that is one of the biggest factors in as transmission going out get a good aftermarket transmission cooler, deep vented trans pan and a shift kit. Probably a deeper vented rear diff pan too. Of course efi live too. Good luck. That's just some of the stuff you should get. Tip of the ice berg lol.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
He doesn't have to ditch the leveling kit but there's a huge difference between that and a true lift kit. Your 6 inch kit moves all the parts down 6 inches to give 6 inches of lift. A leveling kit just changes the torsion bar position and puts everything in more of a bind than needed. Almost always will launch bad with any sort of leveling kit with bad cv angles.

Also the shift kit on the 5 speed allisons is more money than it's worth. No real improvement.
2002 Chevy EC/SB LT 4x4. S&B intake. 5" Magnaflow SP. LML manifold. PPE stage 5 tranny. 30% over Bosch injectors. LBZ SuperSport pump. Studs. All powder coated. EFI by Ridge Runner. Twin Kennedy pumps & pickup. Glowshift gauges. Edge insight cts. Gear 22x12s and 305/40 Proxes ST

Other toys:
"Tank" 1982 K10 6.2 Detroit diesel/sm465/np205 with 4 inches of lift and 35s. Slow and indestructible
2011 Yamaha YFZ450X
1992 Yamaha Waverunner 3
Old 05-28-2017, 01:05 PM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakkb787 View Post
He doesn't have to ditch the leveling kit but there's a huge difference between that and a true lift kit. Your 6 inch kit moves all the parts down 6 inches to give 6 inches of lift. A leveling kit just changes the torsion bar position and puts everything in more of a bind than needed. Almost always will launch bad with any sort of leveling kit with bad cv angles.

Also the shift kit on the 5 speed allisons is more money than it's worth. No real improvement.
I just read another guys comment is why I said he doesn't have to. Also that's why I said my lift kit is nice everything is proper and I knew that most leveling kits do that. But i didn't know that about that transmission so it doesn't do anything at all? My transgo cost me like 50 bucks makes a huge difference for me.

2008 gmc sierra 2500 lmm
Old 05-28-2017, 01:59 PM
It's actually Zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008lmmchopper View Post
I just read another guys comment is why I said he doesn't have to. Also that's why I said my lift kit is nice everything is proper and I knew that most leveling kits do that. But i didn't know that about that transmission so it doesn't do anything at all? My transgo cost me like 50 bucks makes a huge difference for me.

2008 gmc sierra 2500 lmm
Yeah the 6 speeds it makes a good difference but not so much on the 5 speeds
2002 Chevy EC/SB LT 4x4. S&B intake. 5" Magnaflow SP. LML manifold. PPE stage 5 tranny. 30% over Bosch injectors. LBZ SuperSport pump. Studs. All powder coated. EFI by Ridge Runner. Twin Kennedy pumps & pickup. Glowshift gauges. Edge insight cts. Gear 22x12s and 305/40 Proxes ST

Other toys:
"Tank" 1982 K10 6.2 Detroit diesel/sm465/np205 with 4 inches of lift and 35s. Slow and indestructible
2011 Yamaha YFZ450X
1992 Yamaha Waverunner 3
Old 05-28-2017, 02:17 PM
Hotrodder

It's a waste of money in then 5 speeds
Old 05-28-2017, 03:09 PM
Hotrodder

Default New to diesels

You need to drop the trans to install in a 5 speed

Just one of the few dumb things said in here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2003 CCSB LT LB7 deleted

Some cool stuff, some fast stuff, some slow stuff
EFI by Kory

Special thanks to Evan@Limitless
Old 05-28-2017, 06:20 PM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awenta View Post
You need to drop the trans to install in a 5 speed

Just one of the few dumb things said in here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sorry for saying something dumb. The truck I have is the first gm I have owned and know about. Didn't know any of this about the 5 speed.

2008 gmc sierra 2500 lmm
Old 05-28-2017, 07:10 PM
Hotrodder

Welcome to the site.

Never had to do sleeves, but to install tie rod sleeves, mark the tie rod and count the number of turns to get it out. Install the sleeve, count the number of turns and put the mark back where it was.

I suggest moving that skid steer back a bit on the trailer, especially if you need 4wd. The grabbing and jerking of the front end due to traction issues will bend the tie rods. Allison transmissions do a great job when you stay in spec of what they are rated for, get outside of that and pay the piper.

I think PPE sells the Mike L. upgraded cooler kit. Mike is the ALL KNOWING ALLISON GURU. If Mike tells you to do something, just do it.
EGR blocked. PCV rerouted. Resonator blocked (reinstalled for looks). Bladerunner installed. Dead kitty by MBRP (front pipe) and down tube replaced with the MBRP (heat wrapped from the turbo down to the front pipe).
Performax Gauges by ISSPRO in pod over mirror and overhead console (console pod by PPE). Mike L Transmission.
----Looking to do an onboard air with a set of truck air horns. Want Nathan K5LA's but not in the budget at the moment.----

06 GMC CCSB 2WD LBZ SLT package. Traded for '17 Denali

17 Denali CCSB 2500 4WD Stone Blue with Cocoa/Dark Sand Interior
Old 05-28-2017, 07:57 PM
Hotrodder

I also agree with moving the skid steer back. I have the same exact skid steer. I've found it tows best when I load it on the trailer backwards and put the drive gear almost directly over the front axles.

Last edited by joshd472; 05-28-2017 at 08:05 PM.