Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 01-15-2018, 03:21 PM
future trans limpers

Your certainly going to heat the engine oil up more due to the fact the atmosphere turbo is also heating it up, I doubt it will be an issue especially since you've added a cooler. Drive pressure will be up a bit more and the stress on the bottom end doesn't have to be an issue, it can be tuned to not have allot of fuel down low. I'd also consider a good tcm tune that will raise the shift points a bit which will also keep you from having so much torque in the lower RPMs. There are lots of ways to set it up but this is probably what I'd do if I were to do a setup like you mentioned.

Landon-2006 Silverado CCSB 4X4 LBZ
Rebuilt engine by Burkett Racing Engines
LBZ rods,.20 over LB7 pistons, head studs, balanced rotating assembly.
Exergy 12 mil stroker pump/ Exergy 200 overs
S475/88 hybrid compounds, turbos specked by Mark @ Danville Performance, Kit built by myself and Moparkxracer "Shade Tree Triples"
Cylinder Pressure/Dyno tuning by Danville Performance
Trans built by Diesel Addiction/ 1072-2 Limitless Diesel converter
Old 01-15-2018, 03:38 PM
don't know sh!t about IFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeShow View Post
Where's Johnny - our resident drifting Kodiak guy? Didn't he have twins and tow commercially? Or just a modded VNT?
Johnny runs a danville 72 on his big rig. he just abused the hell out of that truck in the dunes, hauling stuff, drifting, racing, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2BRK View Post
continuing the Q/A and learning process, I've often wondered about the strain of compounds for towing on the engine at lower RPM and on the stock cooling system? Tons of low end power for towing and no lag sounds great, but when we're all here with low torque tuning to keep stock engines alive, it seems a little troublesome to think the advantage is mo' power sooner/lower in the rev range
there is a point where this becomes too much but not till you are above 450-500hp and towing heavy. the engine its self will still have its limits as far as how much torque/cylinder pressure it can take before a rod bends but the cooling system will become more taxed as well as oil temps and trans temps. outside air temps are the biggest factor on when/how your cooling system will be taxed.

STI, you will be lighter than my overall weight when loaded down. i gross about 24-25k on my truck/trailer during the summer. i have a ton of upgrades in cooling from every aspect and still can not keep my truck cool enough in the summer to run 70mph up the hills to go up north with a 600rwhp tow tune. fall/winter time, 70 mph in 5th gear is no issue up those grades and the temps never see over 210-215. Summer time, im stuck at 45-55mph, 230-235* coolant temp and 250-260* oil temp. 113* outside temp is fricken killer. that said, no stock truck is pulling the grades that fast though with this much weight
James

02 LL7 2500HD CC/LB dmax/alli "The Limo"

BIG THANKS TO: Mike L, Steve, Trent, Guy, Dan, Ruben, Josh H, Scott, Brian and everyone else who has put a hand in to help me.

best time to date: 12.39

motor died/bent rods = 3/11/11
back from the dead 7:04pm 4/9/2012

Limo is back in the garage, now driving a built chevy tracker
Tailgate Crew Member #4
Old 01-15-2018, 03:45 PM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy1925 View Post
Johnny runs a danville 72 on his big rig. he just abused the hell out of that truck in the dunes, hauling stuff, drifting, racing, etc

there is a point where this becomes too much but not till you are above 450-500hp and towing heavy. the engine its self will still have its limits as far as how much torque/cylinder pressure it can take before a rod bends but the cooling system will become more taxed as well as oil temps and trans temps. outside air temps are the biggest factor on when/how your cooling system will be taxed.

STI, you will be lighter than my overall weight when loaded down. i gross about 24-25k on my truck/trailer during the summer. i have a ton of upgrades in cooling from every aspect and still can not keep my truck cool enough in the summer to run 70mph up the hills to go up north with a 600rwhp tow tune. fall/winter time, 70 mph in 5th gear is no issue up those grades and the temps never see over 210-215. Summer time, im stuck at 45-55mph, 230-235* coolant temp and 250-260* oil temp. 113* outside temp is fricken killer. that said, no stock truck is pulling the grades that fast though with this much weight

Yeah any place with 113* outside temps I don't need to be. I don't have a problem slowing down in temps that hot.
Efi Live, FASS 150, Custom Exhaust, Bunch of Gauges, Tahoe Headlights, Custom Stereo,National Air Seats, Flat bed, Profab Y Bridge, ARP Studs, 12x12x2 Oil cooler, BAT Sandwich adapter, 12x12x2 trans cooler, Oil Pressure/Temp Gauges, Belly mount Onan 5500w Generator. LDS 30% Overs.

28FT Intech Car trailer

@stibuider