Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 11-04-2017, 07:20 PM
GM TECH @ FENDER GMC

Default Singles, compounds, triples as time goes on..........

So as I recall correct me if I'm wrong 10 years ago give or take big singles and slowly heard of compound turbo kits started to hit the diesel market. Maximized performance Inc was the first I recall putting nasty girl over the 1000 hp crest and introducing a new era for performance in duramax diesels, then triples started showing up and as kits have become more refined I've noticed more borgs being used than any thing else. What ever happened to the super nice garrett Mpi kits over stock vgts or even ihis. I know that there are super nice kits offered these days like hsp, wherli, Sdp, just to name a few. I loved the super clean lines that Mpi used to produce using the garrett chargers with that super clean waste gate sleekly tied into the exhaust cross over tube off the stock turbo and the almost stock appearing look that it had under the hood as if gm put it there from the factory even with a gtx4202. I have nothing against borgs but imho personally I'm a garrett turbo guy and it seems as though garretts just aren't used anymore in build or kits. What gives as this has become the norm seems to me, would Mpi still even offer a kit with a garrett turbo as an optional charger?
2006 Chevy 2500HD LBZ Duramax Summit White CCSB Tan (neutral) leather LT3 pkg w/sunroof OEM bra 4x4, ISSPRO EV, ATS Twin CP3's, Built Allison, Eaton E-locker front stock G80 rear, Kennedy Twin pump filter combo kit, Snow Perf Stage 2 w/m injection, 4in to 5in banks tip, HM Big K&N, Mickey Thompson Baja Claw TTC 315/75/16 on stock rims, Rancho RS9000XL, Fabtech HD TR, Cognito P&I Brace kit, DD/Puller/Work Truck

2002 Chevy 2500HD LB7 Duramax Summit White CCSB Grey (neutral) leather LT3 pkg OEM bra 4x4, Kennedy Twin Pump Filter Combo Kit, ISSPRO EV, PPE Boost Valve, DTS Built Allison, MikeL Cooler, ATS Billet Flexplate, DTS 3in DS IC pipe, Bill's 5in CAI (White), Big K&N, 4in to 7in black stack, Mickey Thompson Baja Claw TTC 315/75/16 on stock rims, Cognito P&I Brace kit, Sleeves, Energy Sway bar Kit, DD/Puller/Work truck

Special Thanks: (David) DTS, (Guy) Socal Diesel, (Nick & crew) DuramaxTuner, (Dan) PPE, (John) Kennedy Diesel, (Tony) All Season
Old 11-04-2017, 07:29 PM
Yes, its really me

I have an MPI kit coming off an LLY very soon if your interested.

Although to answer your question the reason for the switch is fairly simple.

The borg warner S475 is cheap. And the 96mm turbine allows you to use it without a waste gate so plumbing is simplified.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2009 ECI Diesel Truck Points Champion
2010 ECI Diesel Truck Points Champion
2011 ECI Diesel Truck Points Champion
2012 ECI Diesel Truck Points Champion

Big thanks to everyone who helps me.

Best 1/8th, 7.29, 98.6MPH (Street tires, fuel only, single Journal bearing GT42 charger) (2010)

Best 1/8th, 6.93, 104.24MPH (Street tires, fuel only, single HX60 turbo) (2016)

Best 1/8th, 6.60, 106.6MPH (Street tires, fuel only, single HX60 turbo) (2017)
Old 11-04-2017, 08:10 PM
GM TECH @ FENDER GMC

Does that kit use a garret as the low pressure? Specs? Research has shown that borgs are cheaper I just didn't want to step on any toes by saying you can build it right the first time spend a little extra coin and enjoy it, instead of having three failed chargers for the price of one garrett bb turbo you know. care to post pictures of the Mpi kit you have and mileage? Iowa lly
2006 Chevy 2500HD LBZ Duramax Summit White CCSB Tan (neutral) leather LT3 pkg w/sunroof OEM bra 4x4, ISSPRO EV, ATS Twin CP3's, Built Allison, Eaton E-locker front stock G80 rear, Kennedy Twin pump filter combo kit, Snow Perf Stage 2 w/m injection, 4in to 5in banks tip, HM Big K&N, Mickey Thompson Baja Claw TTC 315/75/16 on stock rims, Rancho RS9000XL, Fabtech HD TR, Cognito P&I Brace kit, DD/Puller/Work Truck

2002 Chevy 2500HD LB7 Duramax Summit White CCSB Grey (neutral) leather LT3 pkg OEM bra 4x4, Kennedy Twin Pump Filter Combo Kit, ISSPRO EV, PPE Boost Valve, DTS Built Allison, MikeL Cooler, ATS Billet Flexplate, DTS 3in DS IC pipe, Bill's 5in CAI (White), Big K&N, 4in to 7in black stack, Mickey Thompson Baja Claw TTC 315/75/16 on stock rims, Cognito P&I Brace kit, Sleeves, Energy Sway bar Kit, DD/Puller/Work truck

Special Thanks: (David) DTS, (Guy) Socal Diesel, (Nick & crew) DuramaxTuner, (Dan) PPE, (John) Kennedy Diesel, (Tony) All Season
Old 11-04-2017, 08:28 PM
Yes, its really me

Yes the kit I'll be removing uses a GT4202 as the low pressure charger. I'm not sure on miles. Less then 70K but more then 45K.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2009 ECI Diesel Truck Points Champion
2010 ECI Diesel Truck Points Champion
2011 ECI Diesel Truck Points Champion
2012 ECI Diesel Truck Points Champion

Big thanks to everyone who helps me.

Best 1/8th, 7.29, 98.6MPH (Street tires, fuel only, single Journal bearing GT42 charger) (2010)

Best 1/8th, 6.93, 104.24MPH (Street tires, fuel only, single HX60 turbo) (2016)

Best 1/8th, 6.60, 106.6MPH (Street tires, fuel only, single HX60 turbo) (2017)
Old 11-04-2017, 08:42 PM
GM TECH @ FENDER GMC

Pm sent Iowa lly

Old 11-04-2017, 09:21 PM
DMax Junkie

The price versus reliability doesn't justify the use of the Garrett's honestly and that is why you really don't see them being used. If they were worth it you would see them used. You really only see them used in the big boy setups like the Gt55's. If I was entertaining the idea of using them I would go straight to a Precision Turbo as they run circles around the same sized Garrett charger.
06 LBZ "White Lightning" 2wd rclb DP built motor Carillo, 15.25:1 "Finger" Oval Pistons w/reliefs, Socal Titanium upgraded springs on Stock heads w/Socal Billet injector holddowns,ARP, head-main-rocker studs,Soca Billet mains& Dampner, Chromoly pushrds, DP B72mmstg2R1VGT/StainlessDiesel S472/87 1.0SS triples, DHD Cast SuperHighflow intake, Exergy 14mmCP3 & 250%inj,Fass, PPE Race Valve PPE Manifolds, Banks Technicooler, AFE Boost tube, SC GMax6 Goerend "G" Grizzly Locker 3.42 gears, 1198+++hp 2k+ftlbs
Current fastest pass 1.520 60ft 6.705@108.95mph 1/8th 10.242@140.11mph
Current Standing 1/2Mile record holder for Diesel Pickup @ 159.8mph
Made it on fastest DMax list with Single VGT and single cp3 fuel only! 1.589 60ft 6.9291@103mph 1/8th 10.96@127.76mph
Stock motor best 11.277@119mph B68mmStg2R 250%inj 12mmcp3

Wife's tow rig-08 LMM SierraHD SLT2 "Stormy" CCSB murdered out TCTStg2 Exergy 12mmcp3
06 GP GXP 5.3L StealthGray Metallic
http://www.danvilleperformance.com
http://www.youtube.com/markbroviakdp
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCV6K...?feature=watch
Mark@DanvillePerformance.com
Old 11-04-2017, 09:36 PM
Beer Nazi

Serious question... is MPI still in business?

HUGE Thanks to Chris, Mike L., McRat Racing, Total Performance Diesel, PPE, Trent, Wicked Diesel, Mike, Henry of Creatures of the Night, Exergy Engineering and the rest of Team Salad<--My Tailgate's Always open for all of you!!

11.84 @ 115
Tailgate Crew Member #2
Old 11-04-2017, 09:40 PM
GM TECH @ FENDER GMC

It would be cool if precision made a water cooled center section like garrett for long haul folks like me that will keep there trucks and drive them till the wheels fall off or the parts are discontinued lol

Old 11-04-2017, 09:42 PM
GM TECH @ FENDER GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by paint94979 View Post
Serious question... is MPI still in business?
Website is still there, presumably so?

Old 11-05-2017, 08:20 AM
Beer Nazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robby Avery View Post
Website is still there, presumably so?
Their website is down and their number has been disconnected

HUGE Thanks to Chris, Mike L., McRat Racing, Total Performance Diesel, PPE, Trent, Wicked Diesel, Mike, Henry of Creatures of the Night, Exergy Engineering and the rest of Team Salad<--My Tailgate's Always open for all of you!!

11.84 @ 115
Tailgate Crew Member #2
Old 11-05-2017, 08:26 AM
GM TECH @ FENDER GMC

That's weird a couple of months ago it was up. I guess life happens and things change. The Facebook page still pops up but I guess that will soon be short lived as well. I don't like seeing quality craftmanship or businesses go out or unnoticed but things happen

Old 11-05-2017, 08:27 AM
Gearhead

Is this mpi as in mountain performance inc.? If so there pretty big into snowmobile and sxs turbo kits.
Old 11-05-2017, 08:41 AM
GM TECH @ FENDER GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summit_Rider View Post
Is this mpi as in mountain performance inc.? If so there pretty big into snowmobile and sxs turbo kits.
Unfortunately, its maximized performance Inc, I think the guy that owns it his name was Nathan someone correct me if I wrong thought. The last big kits I remember seeing that Mpi made were buck sprurill and John Kennedy when he entered the diesel power challenge. if you study the pictures of kennedys 02 mpi kit there are some serious hidden neat additions. like for instance who takes the time to lay out a kit that has a purposly places a insulated mount point for the a/c line to clean the routing of it over the high pressure charger. as well as follow factory lines and not just take a tubing bender and bend the a/c hard line at the compressor. just little detailed tweaks like that really create a quality kit to me and that's just one of the things there are many more hidden in the pictures on diesel power challenge pictures

http://www.trucktrend.com/events/die...-john-kennedy/

The proof is in the pictures hopefully the link works as I just copy and pasted it

Old 11-05-2017, 08:49 AM
I like turtles

I'll sell ya my triple kit..
Old 11-05-2017, 09:08 AM
GM TECH @ FENDER GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne-max View Post
I'll sell ya my triple kit..
That would be nice, but is probably way to much for my dd. I've had to wait til I'm 30 now to enjoy entertaining the idea of change turbos let alone compounds. had to get through my 20s and grow up a bit before I started looking at serious power adders. Now with home, wife, little man, and trucks taking care of tithe, tool bills and toys are the things on my list God and my family come first but daddy can have some toys too but we all know how that goes. On the plus side thought with little man being 15 months old now I'm looking to return to old technology and buy back the 1989 w250 single cab long box manual cummins I grew up in and restore it with him. that way he will have knowledge of mechincal as well as common rail fuel systems and such as well as learn how to drive a stick something most kids of todays generation have no clue how to do jmho