Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 11-05-2017, 09:48 AM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robby Avery View Post
Does that kit use a garret as the low pressure? Specs? Research has shown that borgs are cheaper I just didn't want to step on any toes by saying you can build it right the first time spend a little extra coin and enjoy it, instead of having three failed chargers for the price of one garrett bb turbo you know. care to post pictures of the Mpi kit you have and mileage? Iowa lly
Our experience on our c18 cat engines with Garrett chargers was not good. If you pushed them any past factory specs you would knock the thrust out of them. I tried a bw s510sx with a 360 degree thrust and that thing could handle anything you threw at it..... never did go out. Once again the Garrett was $5,000 and the bw was $3,000

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 11-05-2017, 10:21 AM
GM TECH @ FENDER GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digmax View Post
Our experience on our c18 cat engines with Garrett chargers was not good. If you pushed them any past factory specs you would knock the thrust out of them. I tried a bw s510sx with a 360 degree thrust and that thing could handle anything you threw at it..... never did go out. Once again the Garrett was $5,000 and the bw was $3,000

That's factory compared to a modified charger. Apples to oranges if you will. How would that test fair if say a 5541 was put against the 510. The same goes when its match in accordance to platform at hand the spec sheet only goes so far. everything has a failure point its a matter of how hard you want to push it. Cat never designed the acerts or standard single applications for major power they were pushed into a corner like all the big names by epa so as to become tier 1,2,3,4 emission compliant. if similar frame chargers were put into test sure the Borg would make more power as flow rate is higher however the longevity suffers were as the garrett may not flow as much but when properly match will long out live the Borg journal bearing. yes Borg has come a long way from years passed and they seem to be holding up good now but I'd much rather size it according to my build and run a garrett bb for longevity purposes that way I get my ROI out of it you know.
2006 Chevy 2500HD LBZ Duramax Summit White CCSB Tan (neutral) leather LT3 pkg w/sunroof OEM bra 4x4, ISSPRO EV, ATS Twin CP3's, Built Allison, Eaton E-locker front stock G80 rear, Kennedy Twin pump filter combo kit, Snow Perf Stage 2 w/m injection, 4in to 5in banks tip, HM Big K&N, Mickey Thompson Baja Claw TTC 315/75/16 on stock rims, Rancho RS9000XL, Fabtech HD TR, Cognito P&I Brace kit, DD/Puller/Work Truck

2002 Chevy 2500HD LB7 Duramax Summit White CCSB Grey (neutral) leather LT3 pkg OEM bra 4x4, Kennedy Twin Pump Filter Combo Kit, ISSPRO EV, PPE Boost Valve, DTS Built Allison, MikeL Cooler, ATS Billet Flexplate, DTS 3in DS IC pipe, Bill's 5in CAI (White), Big K&N, 4in to 7in black stack, Mickey Thompson Baja Claw TTC 315/75/16 on stock rims, Cognito P&I Brace kit, Sleeves, Energy Sway bar Kit, DD/Puller/Work truck

Special Thanks: (David) DTS, (Guy) Socal Diesel, (Nick & crew) DuramaxTuner, (Dan) PPE, (John) Kennedy Diesel, (Tony) All Season
Old 11-05-2017, 10:56 AM
Old Geezer

To answer the questions about MPI, owner/designer/builder Nathan Wright no longer builds turbo kits, he is a gun smith now. Still has his shop and might be coaxed into something special if he had the time and the truck there. That's total speculation on my part but he might. He had been fighting some health issues but seems to have that under control now.
Old 11-05-2017, 11:13 AM
Hotrodder

Quote:
That's factory compared to a modified charger. Apples to oranges if you will. How would that test fair if say a 5541 was put against the 510. The same goes when its match in accordance to platform at hand the spec sheet only goes so far. everything has a failure point its a matter of how hard you want to push it. Cat never designed the acerts or standard single applications for major power they were pushed into a corner like all the big names by epa so as to become tier 1,2,3,4 emission compliant. if similar frame chargers were put into test sure the Borg would make more power as flow rate is higher however the longevity suffers were as the garrett may not flow as much but when properly match will long out live the Borg journal bearing. yes Borg has come a long way from years passed and they seem to be holding up good now but I'd much rather size it according to my build and run a garrett bb for longevity purposes that way I get my ROI out of it you know.
The exhaust temp didn't change much at all with the 510 the real issue with the heat was the factory tuning but I just know that the Garrett lasted about 3 to 500 hours at 1400 degrees and the 510 never failed in 3000 hours but yea you prob right. The thrust bearing design is the real dif

Old 11-05-2017, 12:27 PM
GM TECH @ FENDER GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subman View Post
To answer the questions about MPI, owner/designer/builder Nathan Wright no longer builds turbo kits, he is a gun smith now. Still has his shop and might be coaxed into something special if he had the time and the truck there. That's total speculation on my part but he might. He had been fighting some health issues but seems to have that under control now.
Glad to here that wasn't sure what happen just had not heard or sent anything about Mpi in a long time. best bet would be to find a good used kit then when I start searching lb7 is gonna be the hardest kit to find
2006 Chevy 2500HD LBZ Duramax Summit White CCSB Tan (neutral) leather LT3 pkg w/sunroof OEM bra 4x4, ISSPRO EV, ATS Twin CP3's, Built Allison, Eaton E-locker front stock G80 rear, Kennedy Twin pump filter combo kit, Snow Perf Stage 2 w/m injection, 4in to 5in banks tip, HM Big K&N, Mickey Thompson Baja Claw TTC 315/75/16 on stock rims, Rancho RS9000XL, Fabtech HD TR, Cognito P&I Brace kit, DD/Puller/Work Truck

2002 Chevy 2500HD LB7 Duramax Summit White CCSB Grey (neutral) leather LT3 pkg OEM bra 4x4, Kennedy Twin Pump Filter Combo Kit, ISSPRO EV, PPE Boost Valve, DTS Built Allison, MikeL Cooler, ATS Billet Flexplate, DTS 3in DS IC pipe, Bill's 5in CAI (White), Big K&N, 4in to 7in black stack, Mickey Thompson Baja Claw TTC 315/75/16 on stock rims, Cognito P&I Brace kit, Sleeves, Energy Sway bar Kit, DD/Puller/Work truck

Special Thanks: (David) DTS, (Guy) Socal Diesel, (Nick & crew) DuramaxTuner, (Dan) PPE, (John) Kennedy Diesel, (Tony) All Season
Old 11-05-2017, 04:32 PM
Old Geezer

Quote:
Glad to here that wasn't sure what happen just had not heard or sent anything about Mpi in a long time. best bet would be to find a good used kit then when I start searching lb7 is gonna be the hardest kit to find
You might try Rob at ATP, he might have a kit laying around.
Old 11-05-2017, 07:21 PM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Unfortunately, its maximized performance Inc, I think the guy that owns it his name was Nathan someone correct me if I wrong thought. The last big kits I remember seeing that Mpi made were buck sprurill and John Kennedy when he entered the diesel power challenge. if you study the pictures of kennedys 02 mpi kit there are some serious hidden neat additions. like for instance who takes the time to lay out a kit that has a purposly places a insulated mount point for the a/c line to clean the routing of it over the high pressure charger. as well as follow factory lines and not just take a tubing bender and bend the a/c hard line at the compressor. just little detailed tweaks like that really create a quality kit to me and that's just one of the things there are many more hidden in the pictures on diesel power challenge pictures

http://www.trucktrend.com/events/die...-john-kennedy/

The proof is in the pictures hopefully the link works as I just copy and pasted it
Not that might make a differance, but I think Merchant was making custom ac lines routed out of the way for truck with twins. I remember this from a long time ago so names and details where a little fuzzy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

06 GMC 2500 CCSB SLT LBZ 4X4

These views expressed on this post are not my own, but rather randomly generated computer gibberish, and in no way should be used to judge the author's IQ or mental health.
Old 11-05-2017, 07:33 PM
GM TECH @ FENDER GMC

Subman thanks for your replies I'll check with Rob, dozerboy I know merchant makes custom power steering lines haven't seen any a/c lines on the site I search it weekly to see if anything new comes up or what I can tinker with next. I'm a detail kinda guy so something different is what suits my fancy. I look for ideas and hidden things anytime I see something new and for some reason I never forget them. My wife, son and folks that know me get tickled at me cause my ocd gets the best of me and I can't leave well enough alone

Old 11-06-2017, 07:52 AM
Sky View Imaging

Garrett Turbos are junk, thats why no one uses them.
Alpine White • Brown Dakota Leather • Premium/Cold/Smoker Pkg • LED AEs • MTec D1S • 50% tint
2000 Buick Regal GS
Bright White • Lowered • Homemade CAI • 4500K HIDs • Supercharged • Beater
Old 11-06-2017, 09:59 AM
Why do I keep doing this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozerboy View Post
Not that might make a differance, but I think Merchant was making custom ac lines routed out of the way for truck with twins. I remember this from a long time ago so names and details where a little fuzzy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Yes, he had the proper fittings, lines and hose to make custom ones. They are NOT cheap to make.

"Flyin' Brick" 1999 Chevy 1500 RC/SB 2wd -- in progress
2014 Chevy Cruze Diesel -- the DD

Two wrongs dont make a right, but three rights do make a left.

Reality is a matter of perspective.

This forum isn't for the weak of heart.....or wallet.

From mufflerguy on yb,
"Lets build a race car they said. Itll be fun they said. I don't know who "they" are.........but they need a good punch in the face!"
Old 11-06-2017, 11:48 AM
Old Geezer

Doesn't Alligator make custom AC lines? I know they have replacements for the crappy leaking stock ones. I put a set on White Out and my 07 street truck both have MPI compounds.
Old 11-06-2017, 11:51 AM
Hotrodder

Default Singles, compounds, triples as time goes on..........

Are you thinking about the trans lines? I’ve never known anyone to replace ac lines in our trucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

06 GMC 2500 CCSB SLT LBZ 4X4

These views expressed on this post are not my own, but rather randomly generated computer gibberish, and in no way should be used to judge the author's IQ or mental health.