Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
  #1  
Old 11-05-2017, 09:02 AM
WVRigrat05's Avatar
WVRigrat05 WVRigrat05 is offline
Wound for sound
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: French Creek, West Virginia
Posts: 2,769

Default Pulling head/s

I may only have to pull one head, Iíll find out this evening unless I give up until tomorrow, does the head HAVE to be surfaced and what are you guys torquing head bolts to, re-use or buy new? Thanks.
__________________
Reger
05' Black Chevy CC/SB LT- Blackout Performance built motor/trans/tuning- Gone

The Blessed Hellride- 08' White GMC Sierra SLT CC/SB,
100k miles-FOR SALE/Waiting on a new motor

Wife's ride- 2016 Pearl white Legacy limited 3.6R

Rig ride/new DD-02' Black Eddie Bauer explorer 4.6, -180k, still sporting original trans, outlasted two Duramaxs.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-05-2017, 09:58 AM
Robby Avery's Avatar
Robby Avery Robby Avery is offline
GM TECH @ FENDER GMC
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Norman Park, Georgia
Posts: 562

Default

To the op first things first, if the bolts coming out are factory they are tty torque to yield fasteners and are one time use they are designed to be used one time they stretch as per design and provide clamping force per gm spec and design. It is wise that the head or heads be checked if possible when removed for true and flat surface by a reputable machine shop in your area or sent off if none available. Make sure new bolts, gaskets, and hardware are in order. Be factory fasteners or aftermarket your choice. Make sure to use arp ultra torque if using arp fasteners for proper torque applied. Clean bolt holes good If using tty with air with no arp lube just torque and done. If access to a parts washer use a old tabacco stick cut to size and Emory cloth 1in wide stapled to it on ends only change per piece cleaning to clean old gasket material off of block and head it will not remove metal just gasket material. So cal diesel has all torque specs posted on the website. Finally what has led to the head(s) needing to be pulled? Leaking? Excessive Pressure or soot in cooling system? Hg failure?
__________________
2006 Chevy 2500HD LBZ Duramax Summit White CCSB Tan (neutral) leather LT3 pkg w/sunroof OEM bra 4x4, ISSPRO EV, ATS Twin CP3's, Built Allison, Eaton E-locker front stock G80 rear, Kennedy Twin pump filter combo kit, Snow Perf Stage 2 w/m injection, 4in to 5in banks tip, HM Big K&N, Mickey Thompson Baja Claw TTC 315/75/16 on stock rims, Rancho RS9000XL, Fabtech HD TR, Cognito P&I Brace kit, DD/Puller/Work Truck



2002 Chevy 2500HD LB7 Duramax Summit White CCSB Grey (neutral) leather LT3 pkg OEM bra 4x4, Kennedy Twin Pump Filter Combo Kit, ISSPRO EV, PPE Boost Valve, DTS Built Allison, MikeL Cooler, ATS Billet Flexplate, DTS 3in DS IC pipe, Bill's 5in CAI (White), Big K&N, 4in to 7in black stack, Mickey Thompson Baja Claw TTC 315/75/16 on stock rims, Cognito P&I Brace kit, Sleeves, Energy Sway bar Kit, DD/Puller/Work truck



Special Thanks: (David) DTS, (Guy) Socal Diesel, (Nick & crew) DuramaxTuner, (Dan) PPE, (John) Kennedy Diesel, (Tony) All Season

Last edited by Robby Avery; 11-05-2017 at 10:04 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-05-2017, 03:35 PM
WVRigrat05's Avatar
WVRigrat05 WVRigrat05 is offline
Wound for sound
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: French Creek, West Virginia
Posts: 2,769

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robby Avery View Post
To the op first things first, if the bolts coming out are factory they are tty torque to yield fasteners and are one time use they are designed to be used one time they stretch as per design and provide clamping force per gm spec and design. It is wise that the head or heads be checked if possible when removed for true and flat surface by a reputable machine shop in your area or sent off if none available. Make sure new bolts, gaskets, and hardware are in order. Be factory fasteners or aftermarket your choice. Make sure to use arp ultra torque if using arp fasteners for proper torque applied. Clean bolt holes good If using tty with air with no arp lube just torque and done. If access to a parts washer use a old tabacco stick cut to size and Emory cloth 1in wide stapled to it on ends only change per piece cleaning to clean old gasket material off of block and head it will not remove metal just gasket material. So cal diesel has all torque specs posted on the website. Finally what has led to the head(s) needing to be pulled? Leaking? Excessive Pressure or soot in cooling system? Hg failure?

Iíve been here and done this once but I used ARP everything and had everything checked and re done.

I understand the TTY on the bolts but Iíve read where guys used to reuse them and torque to like 135 or something.

And as far as the head I donít see how it would HAVE to be surfaced, if it does then Iíll drop it off to kidwells and have it done, Iím pulling one head, replacing a piston with a hole and itís going back together.
__________________
Reger
05' Black Chevy CC/SB LT- Blackout Performance built motor/trans/tuning- Gone

The Blessed Hellride- 08' White GMC Sierra SLT CC/SB,
100k miles-FOR SALE/Waiting on a new motor

Wife's ride- 2016 Pearl white Legacy limited 3.6R

Rig ride/new DD-02' Black Eddie Bauer explorer 4.6, -180k, still sporting original trans, outlasted two Duramaxs.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-05-2017, 04:47 PM
Yngdmax92's Avatar
Yngdmax92 Yngdmax92 is offline
Hotrodder
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 378
Default

Bring it to kidwell, pay them to see if it is flat, if not it's there to be resurfaced. Slap it on and rip it
__________________
2003 2500 hd cc/sb (leftovers) MPS 63.5 ihi, built trans, airdog 150, 30 overs..... Sold


New and improved! 2007 classis lbz LS ec/sb

Egr delete, pcv re-route, PIPED, airdog 4g 165,

Danville performance tunes.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-05-2017, 06:36 PM
WVRigrat05's Avatar
WVRigrat05 WVRigrat05 is offline
Wound for sound
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: French Creek, West Virginia
Posts: 2,769

Default

Got the heads off, needs 8 pistons, block is cherry, like brand new cherry. Just gonna buy a new motor and part this one out.
__________________
Reger
05' Black Chevy CC/SB LT- Blackout Performance built motor/trans/tuning- Gone

The Blessed Hellride- 08' White GMC Sierra SLT CC/SB,
100k miles-FOR SALE/Waiting on a new motor

Wife's ride- 2016 Pearl white Legacy limited 3.6R

Rig ride/new DD-02' Black Eddie Bauer explorer 4.6, -180k, still sporting original trans, outlasted two Duramaxs.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-05-2017, 06:51 PM
Robby Avery's Avatar
Robby Avery Robby Avery is offline
GM TECH @ FENDER GMC
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Norman Park, Georgia
Posts: 562

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVRigrat05 View Post
Iíve been here and done this once but I used ARP everything and had everything checked and re done.

I understand the TTY on the bolts but Iíve read where guys used to reuse them and torque to like 135 or something.

And as far as the head I donít see how it would HAVE to be surfaced, if it does then Iíll drop it off to kidwells and have it done, Iím pulling one head, replacing a piston with a hole and itís going back together.
The reason I mentioned it. Its not a lot of people have a true straight edge and feeler gauges just laying around machine shops do and they are more than happy to take that 100 bill to check it to make sure it straight and true at least that's the cost in my area. 100 is a lot cheaper and quicker than ordering a flat bar much less having to wait on new heads and load them if they come unloaded flat rate tech like myself will not leave anything to chance I want it done right the first time. My ocd is what feeds my family and allows me to sleep at night sorry to hear the news about the block thought
__________________
2006 Chevy 2500HD LBZ Duramax Summit White CCSB Tan (neutral) leather LT3 pkg w/sunroof OEM bra 4x4, ISSPRO EV, ATS Twin CP3's, Built Allison, Eaton E-locker front stock G80 rear, Kennedy Twin pump filter combo kit, Snow Perf Stage 2 w/m injection, 4in to 5in banks tip, HM Big K&N, Mickey Thompson Baja Claw TTC 315/75/16 on stock rims, Rancho RS9000XL, Fabtech HD TR, Cognito P&I Brace kit, DD/Puller/Work Truck



2002 Chevy 2500HD LB7 Duramax Summit White CCSB Grey (neutral) leather LT3 pkg OEM bra 4x4, Kennedy Twin Pump Filter Combo Kit, ISSPRO EV, PPE Boost Valve, DTS Built Allison, MikeL Cooler, ATS Billet Flexplate, DTS 3in DS IC pipe, Bill's 5in CAI (White), Big K&N, 4in to 7in black stack, Mickey Thompson Baja Claw TTC 315/75/16 on stock rims, Cognito P&I Brace kit, Sleeves, Energy Sway bar Kit, DD/Puller/Work truck



Special Thanks: (David) DTS, (Guy) Socal Diesel, (Nick & crew) DuramaxTuner, (Dan) PPE, (John) Kennedy Diesel, (Tony) All Season
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-05-2017, 07:25 PM
Josh154's Avatar
Josh154 Josh154 is offline
Hotrodder
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Sioux Falls SD
Posts: 865
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVRigrat05 View Post
Got the heads off, needs 8 pistons, block is cherry, like brand new cherry. Just gonna buy a new motor and part this one out.
Why not just throw some lb7 pistons in it? From what Iíve read you werenít high power or dont have crazy high power goals. So if the block is good why canít you just put some lb7 pistons in with your lbz rods? Should be more reliable than another lbz/lmm motor with shit pistons as youíve found out.
__________________
08 CCSB LMM - HSP 369sxe kit, 10mm S&S cp3, built trans with suncoast 1058, supporting mods and Danville tuned
Best 1/4 mile
12.86 - 104.92mph
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-05-2017, 07:52 PM
Chevy1925's Avatar
Chevy1925 Chevy1925 is offline
don't know sh!t about IFS

 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Phoenix Az
Posts: 13,474

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh154 View Post
Why not just throw some lb7 pistons in it? From what Iíve read you werenít high power or dont have crazy high power goals. So if the block is good why canít you just put some lb7 pistons in with your lbz rods? Should be more reliable than another lbz/lmm motor with shit pistons as youíve found out.


Still needs to delip those lb7 pistons if he does them and then itís dependent on how worn the cyl and pistons are to still keep a decent p to w clearance. Cylinders can look great but that doesnít mean they do t have a taper, out of round or just have a larger bore than new
__________________
James

02 LL7 2500HD CC/LB dmax/alli "The Limo"

BIG THANKS TO: Mike L, Steve, Trent, Guy, Dan, Ruben, Josh H, Scott, Brian and everyone else who has put a hand in to help me.

best time to date: 12.39

motor died/bent rods = 3/11/11
back from the dead 7:04pm 4/9/2012

Limo is back in the garage, now driving a built chevy tracker
Tailgate Crew Member #4
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-05-2017, 07:54 PM
Josh154's Avatar
Josh154 Josh154 is offline
Hotrodder
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Sioux Falls SD
Posts: 865
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy1925 View Post
Still needs to delip those lb7 pistons if he does them and then itís dependent on how worn the cyl and pistons are to still keep a decent p to w clearance. Cylinders can look great but that doesnít mean they do t have a taper, out of round or just have a larger bore than new
I am a noob James just thought that would make more sense instead of putting another motor with shit pistons in
__________________
08 CCSB LMM - HSP 369sxe kit, 10mm S&S cp3, built trans with suncoast 1058, supporting mods and Danville tuned
Best 1/4 mile
12.86 - 104.92mph
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-05-2017, 08:04 PM
lutzjk913's Avatar
lutzjk913 lutzjk913 is offline
Hotrodder
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: groveport, ohio
Posts: 586
Default

Did it eat all 8 pistons?
__________________
Joe
2008 CCLB LT2 DURAMAX LMM
13.44 @ 98.69
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-05-2017, 08:12 PM
Robby Avery's Avatar
Robby Avery Robby Avery is offline
GM TECH @ FENDER GMC
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Norman Park, Georgia
Posts: 562

Default

You say 8 pistons what initially happened? Noise? Hg failure? Question was never answered as to why the heads were pulled just curious.
__________________
2006 Chevy 2500HD LBZ Duramax Summit White CCSB Tan (neutral) leather LT3 pkg w/sunroof OEM bra 4x4, ISSPRO EV, ATS Twin CP3's, Built Allison, Eaton E-locker front stock G80 rear, Kennedy Twin pump filter combo kit, Snow Perf Stage 2 w/m injection, 4in to 5in banks tip, HM Big K&N, Mickey Thompson Baja Claw TTC 315/75/16 on stock rims, Rancho RS9000XL, Fabtech HD TR, Cognito P&I Brace kit, DD/Puller/Work Truck



2002 Chevy 2500HD LB7 Duramax Summit White CCSB Grey (neutral) leather LT3 pkg OEM bra 4x4, Kennedy Twin Pump Filter Combo Kit, ISSPRO EV, PPE Boost Valve, DTS Built Allison, MikeL Cooler, ATS Billet Flexplate, DTS 3in DS IC pipe, Bill's 5in CAI (White), Big K&N, 4in to 7in black stack, Mickey Thompson Baja Claw TTC 315/75/16 on stock rims, Cognito P&I Brace kit, Sleeves, Energy Sway bar Kit, DD/Puller/Work truck



Special Thanks: (David) DTS, (Guy) Socal Diesel, (Nick & crew) DuramaxTuner, (Dan) PPE, (John) Kennedy Diesel, (Tony) All Season
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-05-2017, 08:16 PM
lutzjk913's Avatar
lutzjk913 lutzjk913 is offline
Hotrodder
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: groveport, ohio
Posts: 586
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robby Avery View Post
You say 8 pistons what initially happened? Noise? Hg failure? Question was never answered as to why the heads were pulled just curious.
Broke crank
__________________
Joe
2008 CCLB LT2 DURAMAX LMM
13.44 @ 98.69
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-05-2017, 08:24 PM
Robby Avery's Avatar
Robby Avery Robby Avery is offline
GM TECH @ FENDER GMC
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Norman Park, Georgia
Posts: 562

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lutzjk913 View Post
Broke crank
Ouch thank you. On that subject not to derail but how have callies cranks been holding up? is there ever going to be an end to the failure rate of cranks breaking even with alt fire cams I still hear of failures.
__________________
2006 Chevy 2500HD LBZ Duramax Summit White CCSB Tan (neutral) leather LT3 pkg w/sunroof OEM bra 4x4, ISSPRO EV, ATS Twin CP3's, Built Allison, Eaton E-locker front stock G80 rear, Kennedy Twin pump filter combo kit, Snow Perf Stage 2 w/m injection, 4in to 5in banks tip, HM Big K&N, Mickey Thompson Baja Claw TTC 315/75/16 on stock rims, Rancho RS9000XL, Fabtech HD TR, Cognito P&I Brace kit, DD/Puller/Work Truck



2002 Chevy 2500HD LB7 Duramax Summit White CCSB Grey (neutral) leather LT3 pkg OEM bra 4x4, Kennedy Twin Pump Filter Combo Kit, ISSPRO EV, PPE Boost Valve, DTS Built Allison, MikeL Cooler, ATS Billet Flexplate, DTS 3in DS IC pipe, Bill's 5in CAI (White), Big K&N, 4in to 7in black stack, Mickey Thompson Baja Claw TTC 315/75/16 on stock rims, Cognito P&I Brace kit, Sleeves, Energy Sway bar Kit, DD/Puller/Work truck



Special Thanks: (David) DTS, (Guy) Socal Diesel, (Nick & crew) DuramaxTuner, (Dan) PPE, (John) Kennedy Diesel, (Tony) All Season
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-05-2017, 08:31 PM
lutzjk913's Avatar
lutzjk913 lutzjk913 is offline
Hotrodder
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: groveport, ohio
Posts: 586
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robby Avery View Post
Ouch thank you. On that subject not to derail but how have callies cranks been holding up? is there ever going to be an end to the failure rate of cranks breaking even with alt fire cams I still hear of failures.
I don't think there is a lot of feedback on them yet.
__________________
Joe
2008 CCLB LT2 DURAMAX LMM
13.44 @ 98.69
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-05-2017, 08:39 PM
Robby Avery's Avatar
Robby Avery Robby Avery is offline
GM TECH @ FENDER GMC
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Norman Park, Georgia
Posts: 562

Default

That's kinda what I figured just never hurts to ask
__________________
2006 Chevy 2500HD LBZ Duramax Summit White CCSB Tan (neutral) leather LT3 pkg w/sunroof OEM bra 4x4, ISSPRO EV, ATS Twin CP3's, Built Allison, Eaton E-locker front stock G80 rear, Kennedy Twin pump filter combo kit, Snow Perf Stage 2 w/m injection, 4in to 5in banks tip, HM Big K&N, Mickey Thompson Baja Claw TTC 315/75/16 on stock rims, Rancho RS9000XL, Fabtech HD TR, Cognito P&I Brace kit, DD/Puller/Work Truck



2002 Chevy 2500HD LB7 Duramax Summit White CCSB Grey (neutral) leather LT3 pkg OEM bra 4x4, Kennedy Twin Pump Filter Combo Kit, ISSPRO EV, PPE Boost Valve, DTS Built Allison, MikeL Cooler, ATS Billet Flexplate, DTS 3in DS IC pipe, Bill's 5in CAI (White), Big K&N, 4in to 7in black stack, Mickey Thompson Baja Claw TTC 315/75/16 on stock rims, Cognito P&I Brace kit, Sleeves, Energy Sway bar Kit, DD/Puller/Work truck



Special Thanks: (David) DTS, (Guy) Socal Diesel, (Nick & crew) DuramaxTuner, (Dan) PPE, (John) Kennedy Diesel, (Tony) All Season
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vB.Sponsors