Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 04-26-2018, 02:30 PM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burn Down View Post
I’d be curious how long this set up can last. Lighter rotating assembly has to be easier on the crank. They did drill a lot out
Are you saying from a HP standpoint or from a miles/run time stand point?

HP it should easily hold 1k with a single as that is what the motor is built for. With a better crank/mains/girdle it would hold anything you throw at it as they are forged cp pistons and carillo rods.

With the rods being 0.202" longer they also take load off of the crank as well as increase dwell time in the top of the cylinder where pressure is highest (creating more tq). I'm curious to see how this girl likes rpm as thats what I built it for indirectly.

I wanted to keep my 3.73 ratio as well as run a 33" tall tire to keep the truck street-able/driveable to the pulls and to work. With that, I either need a ton more HP to run 4th gear OR turn more rpm. I decided on more rpm.

To run 28-30mph down the track with 33s I need ~4400rpm. That means if the track is lose or the sled is light I'll need a little more.
-Built Motor, Bullseye Batmowheel S475/87/1.0 "Comp 75R", Exergy 250% overs with "Redman" internal mods, Exergy 14mm street pump w/AN feed, Goerend "J" Converter, Built Trans, AD2 165, Beans Sump, E-Locker, TrueTrac, Yukon 4340 Shafts, Traction Bars, DHD Center Link Brace, DHD Lower Crossmember Support

Past Rides:
1) 2002 LB7 CCSB, Leather, Loaded
-New Bosch Reman Injectors, New LBZ CP3, FASS 150, RCD Sump, 3" MBRP Downpipe, 4" Downpipe Back w/ Muffler, Sleeves, DHD Centerlink Brace, DHD Lower Crossmember Support, Steering Wheel Radio Control Swap
Old 04-26-2018, 03:38 PM
Hotrodder

Cranks have broken under stock power... I’m curious if this lighter rod, piston , crank combo will save/slow down broken cranks.
Old 04-26-2018, 03:39 PM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Cranks have broken under stock power... I’m curious if this lighter rod, piston , crank combo will save/slow down broken cranks.

I’m hoping so as well. Between that, the 6480af crank, and fluidampr keep it alive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-Built Motor, Bullseye Batmowheel S475/87/1.0 "Comp 75R", Exergy 250% overs with "Redman" internal mods, Exergy 14mm street pump w/AN feed, Goerend "J" Converter, Built Trans, AD2 165, Beans Sump, E-Locker, TrueTrac, Yukon 4340 Shafts, Traction Bars, DHD Center Link Brace, DHD Lower Crossmember Support

Past Rides:
-New Bosch Reman Injectors, New LBZ CP3, FASS 150, RCD Sump, 3" MBRP Downpipe, 4" Downpipe Back w/ Muffler, Sleeves, DHD Centerlink Brace, DHD Lower Crossmember Support, Steering Wheel Radio Control Swap
Old 04-26-2018, 03:43 PM
Hotrodder

Either way I guess 4K+ for rods and pistons or 4K+ for a fancy crank
Old 04-27-2018, 06:46 AM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Either way I guess 4K+ for rods and pistons or 4K+ for a fancy crank
Well, think about it this way:

"Standard" build rods/pistons (cast)
1) Rods (Carrillo): $2600
2) Mahle race forged oval bowl pistons: $2600
-Total: $5200

"Hybrid" build rods/pistons: $5200MSRP for forged cp-carrillo pistons, rods, hemi top fuel wrist pins, spiralok pin clips, and complete ring package. Really not too bad compared to the guy doing a full comp engine build w/forged pistons.

Past Rides:
Old 05-01-2018, 11:50 AM
Hotrodder

Well got the bottom end buttoned up. I would have bolted the heads on it but my dumb self decided to only order 8 lifters instead of 16 as well as I lost a cylinder head dowel to align the head to the block.

I've gotta say, this color looks amazing in the sun! This picture doesn't do it justice since all you can see is the front cover but the lower oil pan meeting a black block is pure eye candy (to me at least). The color is "Illusion Orange" and is high metallic. My powder coater really knocked it out of the park on this one. There are a few runs in the really complicated places but all in all I can't complain one bit.

I ended up buying a used Bullseye Batmowheel S475/87/1.00 with intentions of sending it Bullseye this winter to be upgraded to either a 75-76TCT or 80TCT compressor wheel with their gen 3 race cover. The turbo was defintely barked hard at least once but has no shaft play. The wheel has seen some dust but to be fair my Danville 68R I pulled off looked very similar after one summer of sled pulling. There are no big nicks in the wheel or chunks missing so it should be perfectly fine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg front_cover_1.jpg (205.0 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg cam_1.jpg (196.7 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg turbo_1.jpg (200.4 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg turbo_2.jpg (180.0 KB, 27 views)

Past Rides:
Old 05-14-2018, 07:00 AM
Hotrodder

Well, got a little more done this weekend. Got nothing done last weekend due to attending UCC.

1) Got the engine most of the way ready to drop into the engine bay (still need to do y-bridge, pedestal, and driver's side engine mount).

2) I got my AN fittings installed into the fuel feed on the "new to me" Exergy 14mm street pump.

Things are starting to come along! These pictures do not do the orange justice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg engine_pass_F_corner.jpg (203.2 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg engine_driver.jpg (206.9 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg engine_front.jpg (200.6 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg cp3_AN_inlet.jpg (195.3 KB, 25 views)

Past Rides:
Old 05-14-2018, 07:20 AM
don't know sh!t about IFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdsankey View Post
Update: Got the rotating assy and block back from the machine shop last Thursday. The amount of weight they pulled out of the crank for balancing is insane. I've seen inside a few other built motor trucks

I managed to break an oil ring Sunday with my cheap Summit tapered ring compressor. After that $100 overnight bill from California I decided to overnight the ARP tapered ring compressor as well for 4.075" bore. I managed to break 2 more rings with the ARP tapered compressor (oil rings) so I had to suck it up and get help from the machine shop. What doesn't make sense is I've done this numerous times on other engines and had zero issues.

This weekend/next week (before UCC) I am hoping to have the engine bolted in the truck/bolted to the trans. That would be awesome to get accomplished as then all I have to do is bolt the turbo setup on and hook up the easy stuff.
the oil rings can be tricky on these truck when you put a piston in. radiusing the top of the cyl bore edge helps stop some of this. ive had better luck with the cheap oreillys rings compressor than the tapered ring compressors. i get those suckers TIGHT and once i get the skirt lined up in the bore and compressor flat to the deck, ill give it a hard quick tap and they usually drop right in.
James

02 LL7 2500HD CC/LB dmax/alli "The Limo"

BIG THANKS TO: Mike L, Steve, Trent, Guy, Dan, Ruben, Josh H, Scott, Brian and everyone else who has put a hand in to help me.

best time to date: 12.39

motor died/bent rods = 3/11/11
back from the dead 7:04pm 4/9/2012

Limo is back in the garage, now driving a built chevy tracker
Tailgate Crew Member #4
Old 05-14-2018, 07:22 AM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy1925 View Post
the oil rings can be tricky on these truck when you put a piston in. radiusing the top of the cyl bore edge helps stop some of this. ive had better luck with the cheap oreillys rings compressor than the tapered ring compressors. i get those suckers TIGHT and once i get the skirt lined up in the bore and compressor flat to the deck, ill give it a hard quick tap and they usually drop right in.
Good to know for future use. I know there had to have been something simple I was missing but at this point its water under the bridge. The long block is ready to drop in and should hopefully be running next weekend if my damn Mishimoto intercooler shows up hahaha.

Past Rides:
Old 05-21-2018, 07:23 AM
Hotrodder

Well, made some good progress this weekend. Got the engine, new converter, and turbo bolted in. I am waiting for some final parts (fan drive hub/idler, 5.5"-5" boot from HSP, intercooler boot from HSP) to get it going.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Engine_bolted_in.jpg (203.8 KB, 31 views)

Past Rides:
Old 05-21-2018, 04:57 PM
Hotrodder

Looks good, won’t be long now.
Old Yesterday, 06:30 AM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Looks good, won’t be long now.
Shouldn't be. I got the remaining parts ordered yesterday including buying a van thermostat housing and hose. With owning a shop the dealerships tend to give us pretty big price breaks. It came to $140 for the hose and thermostat housing direct from the dealership so I can't complain.

HSP also did me a solid. Apparently their S400 install kits DON'T come with an intercooler->cold side boot/clamps but someone there told me it did. They are sending them out as well as the correct 5.5"-5" 45deg race cover boot (the one I ordered over the phone but was told I needed a straight boot) with an RMA label for the straight boot will be here shortly (tracking shows tomorrow).

Past Rides: