Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 04-21-2017, 01:47 PM
Gearhead

Believe me I work for gm and they bet it into your head " fix it right the first time " but being a single income for family of 4 and I'm debt beyond belief I'm just doing what I can to get my truck back on the road .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-21-2017, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvierra86 View Post
The gaskets will be free beside heads. Those are like 40$ each my cost. And I'm in my trade about 1000$ and getting 2200$ pistons so I don't think I'm doing to bad on the deal. If I can sell more toys prior to rebuild then I might do rods might. But I don't foresee making anything over 600whp and be tuned by either atp or Ppei so i think the rods should be fine although I'm unfamiliar with the breaking/bending point it of the rods

Other then the overhaul gaskets calling off the self at Gm here's a lot of little ones at your Milage to replace.
I would be checking those Pistons out hard trade for 2,200 worth of Pistons. Also with Milage your at should be bored out to get the best ring seal.

I also work for General Motors myself.
Devil Girl 2006 2500HD LBZ Ex-Cab 4x4
11.53 @ 116.92 1.66 60's

Old 04-21-2017, 06:27 PM
Why do I keep doing this?

Quote:
Believe me I work for gm and they bet it into your head " fix it right the first time " but being a single income for family of 4 and I'm debt beyond belief I'm just doing what I can to get my truck back on the road .

Then put LB7 pistons in it and turn it down. Its just a truck. Things can get very spendy very quickly in this hobby.
Think about your priorities. Dont be stupid.

"Flyin' Brick" 1999 Chevy 1500 RC/SB 2wd -- in progress
2003 Olds Aurora -- my DD

Two wrongs dont make a right, but three rights do make a left.

Reality is a matter of perspective.

This forum isn't for the weak of heart.....or wallet.

From mufflerguy on yb,
"Lets build a race car they said. Itll be fun they said. I don't know who "they" are.........but they need a good punch in the face!"
Old 04-21-2017, 06:47 PM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBac View Post
Then put LB7 pistons in it and turn it down. Its just a truck. Things can get very spendy very quickly in this hobby.
Think about your priorities. Dont be stupid.
Amen to that Tom. Mine has been on tune 2 for a while now...no sense in blowing it up when the money isn't ad abundant as it once was

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

06 LBZ ECLB

Gauges, Danville Tunes, 5" Dumped, Trans by Evan, DP Stg2r, Sleeved/Braced and some other odds and ends crap that we all have
Old 04-21-2017, 09:25 PM
Gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by minerigger View Post
Amen to that Tom. Mine has been on tune 2 for a while now...no sense in blowing it up when the money isn't ad abundant as it once was

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Oh I agree I usually keep it in 2-3 but every once in a while I like to hammer down haha.

Old 04-21-2017, 09:27 PM
Gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripmf666 View Post
Other then the overhaul gaskets calling off the self at Gm here's a lot of little ones at your Milage to replace.

I would be checking those Pistons out hard trade for 2,200 worth of Pistons. Also with Milage your at should be bored out to get the best ring seal.

I also work for General Motors myself.

I mean all the gm bulletins for oil consumption they say leave the bore alone and slap new pistons in it. Believe me I don't wanna do it more than once but I also don't ppm on turning it up anymore then it is now if anything load a 150hp tune and call it a day but still would like the fingers pistons as for a little more insurance knowing I can abuse it still with the 150 and won't pop a piston obviously as long as it's got a good tuner and keep the egts down.

Old 04-22-2017, 08:52 AM
FNG

I have a set of mahle cast race pistons that have 10k on them for sale for 1000 bucks. I also have a keyed lbz crank for 700 if you wanna save yourself some money on pistons.
Old 04-22-2017, 03:42 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I mean all the gm bulletins for oil consumption they say leave the bore alone and slap new pistons in it. Believe me I don't wanna do it more than once but I also don't ppm on turning it up anymore then it is now if anything load a 150hp tune and call it a day but still would like the fingers pistons as for a little more insurance knowing I can abuse it still with the 150 and won't pop a piston obviously as long as it's got a good tuner and keep the egts down.

Stop looking at the Gm bulletins I'm not telling you you should bore it out for oil consumption. Needs the bore freshened up from having 256k miles on it with a lot of heat and cylinder pressure. Does not matter what Pistons you put in it right now at all. Your next part to go will be the crank shaft or rods. There is not insurance when just slapping it back with what you think is the issue. While apart fix it right to save later or just replace with a replacement piston and run it and save and keep a roof above your family's head and food on the table.
Devil Girl 2006 2500HD LBZ Ex-Cab 4x4
11.53 @ 116.92 1.66 60's

Old 04-22-2017, 05:42 PM
Making Chips

X2^ if you're not building the motor, just replace the busted piston. Even if your cylinder wall is scuffed beyond what a light bone will remove, you will never notice the difference. Like I said, I'm all for building one Right, but from the sounds of it, you'd be better off just replacing the shot piston and slapping it back together.

LMM CCSB LTZ Z71. SoCal motor, s485/68r, 1078 Limitless converter, S&S 200s.

LB7 ECSB 4X4

Thanks to Evan@Limitless and Mark@Danville Performance
Old 04-22-2017, 06:25 PM
Gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfLLY View Post
X2^ if you're not building the motor, just replace the busted piston. Even if your cylinder wall is scuffed beyond what a light bone will remove, you will never notice the difference. Like I said, I'm all for building one Right, but from the sounds of it, you'd be better off just replacing the shot piston and slapping it back together.

I just can't see myself putting that much labor into the engine and putting a stock piston back in it to break another one. I would love to do aftermarket rods but then the crank is weak and thenneed a more crank and by then your talking 6-8k I'm parts. I'm basically getting the fingers pistons for about 800$ so can't really say no to that deal. And I just did new c headgaskets and arp studs about 4500 miles ago and cylinders all looked like IMG_0748.JPG

Old 04-22-2017, 06:35 PM
Gearhead

Just buy LB7, I'd rather buy injectors than build engines . LBZ not sure why everyone praises them , they aren't special.
Old 04-22-2017, 07:20 PM
Why do I keep doing this?

I would trade my LB7 for an LBZ in an instant...........and I love my LB7. The O/P's problem could be easily remedied for under $2000. I would take that before 2 sets of injectors.

Just dont tell BBT I said that. She might get angry with me.

"Flyin' Brick" 1999 Chevy 1500 RC/SB 2wd -- in progress
2003 Olds Aurora -- my DD

Two wrongs dont make a right, but three rights do make a left.

Reality is a matter of perspective.

This forum isn't for the weak of heart.....or wallet.

From mufflerguy on yb,
"Lets build a race car they said. Itll be fun they said. I don't know who "they" are.........but they need a good punch in the face!"