Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
  #46  
Old 04-21-2017, 01:47 PM
Dvierra86 Dvierra86 is offline
Gearhead
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 59

Default

Believe me I work for gm and they bet it into your head " fix it right the first time " but being a single income for family of 4 and I'm debt beyond belief I'm just doing what I can to get my truck back on the road .


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 04-21-2017, 05:30 PM
ripmf666's Avatar
ripmf666 ripmf666 is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Wentzville Mo
Posts: 15,272

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvierra86 View Post
The gaskets will be free beside heads. Those are like 40$ each my cost. And I'm in my trade about 1000$ and getting 2200$ pistons so I don't think I'm doing to bad on the deal. If I can sell more toys prior to rebuild then I might do rods might. But I don't foresee making anything over 600whp and be tuned by either atp or Ppei so i think the rods should be fine although I'm unfamiliar with the breaking/bending point it of the rods


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Other then the overhaul gaskets calling off the self at Gm here's a lot of little ones at your Milage to replace.
I would be checking those Pistons out hard trade for 2,200 worth of Pistons. Also with Milage your at should be bored out to get the best ring seal.

I also work for General Motors myself.
__________________
Name to come
2013 GMC Denali HD 2500 ccsb,100%stock,spray liner,B&W
Sold but not forgotten
Devil Girl 2006 2500HD LBZ Ex-Cab 4x4
11.53 @ 116.92 1.66 60's


Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 04-21-2017, 06:27 PM
TheBac's Avatar
TheBac TheBac is offline
Why do I keep doing this?


 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mid Michigan
Posts: 10,030

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvierra86 View Post
Believe me I work for gm and they bet it into your head " fix it right the first time " but being a single income for family of 4 and I'm debt beyond belief I'm just doing what I can to get my truck back on the road .

Then put LB7 pistons in it and turn it down. Its just a truck. Things can get very spendy very quickly in this hobby.
Think about your priorities. Dont be stupid.
__________________
Tom
"BBT" 2003 GMC CC/SB 4x4
12.14@111.15

"Flyin' Brick" 1999 Chevy 1500 RC/SB 2wd -- in progress
2003 Olds Aurora -- my DD

Two wrongs dont make a right, but three rights do make a left.

Reality is a matter of perspective.

This forum isn't for the weak of heart.....or wallet.

From mufflerguy on yb,
"Lets build a race car they said. Itll be fun they said. I don't know who "they" are.........but they need a good punch in the face!"
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 04-21-2017, 06:47 PM
minerigger's Avatar
minerigger minerigger is offline
Hotrodder
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Casper, WY
Posts: 2,369
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBac View Post
Then put LB7 pistons in it and turn it down. Its just a truck. Things can get very spendy very quickly in this hobby.
Think about your priorities. Dont be stupid.
Amen to that Tom. Mine has been on tune 2 for a while now...no sense in blowing it up when the money isn't ad abundant as it once was

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
__________________
Brock

06 LBZ ECLB

Gauges, Danville Tunes, 5" Dumped, Trans by Evan, DP Stg2r, Sleeved/Braced and some other odds and ends crap that we all have
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 04-21-2017, 09:25 PM
Dvierra86 Dvierra86 is offline
Gearhead
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 59

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by minerigger View Post
Amen to that Tom. Mine has been on tune 2 for a while now...no sense in blowing it up when the money isn't ad abundant as it once was

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk


Oh I agree I usually keep it in 2-3 but every once in a while I like to hammer down haha.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 04-21-2017, 09:27 PM
Dvierra86 Dvierra86 is offline
Gearhead
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 59

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripmf666 View Post
Other then the overhaul gaskets calling off the self at Gm here's a lot of little ones at your Milage to replace.

I would be checking those Pistons out hard trade for 2,200 worth of Pistons. Also with Milage your at should be bored out to get the best ring seal.



I also work for General Motors myself.


I mean all the gm bulletins for oil consumption they say leave the bore alone and slap new pistons in it. Believe me I don't wanna do it more than once but I also don't ppm on turning it up anymore then it is now if anything load a 150hp tune and call it a day but still would like the fingers pistons as for a little more insurance knowing I can abuse it still with the 150 and won't pop a piston obviously as long as it's got a good tuner and keep the egts down.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 04-22-2017, 08:52 AM
Kunz111 Kunz111 is offline
FNG
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 12
Default

I have a set of mahle cast race pistons that have 10k on them for sale for 1000 bucks. I also have a keyed lbz crank for 700 if you wanna save yourself some money on pistons.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 04-22-2017, 03:42 PM
ripmf666's Avatar
ripmf666 ripmf666 is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Wentzville Mo
Posts: 15,272

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvierra86 View Post
I mean all the gm bulletins for oil consumption they say leave the bore alone and slap new pistons in it. Believe me I don't wanna do it more than once but I also don't ppm on turning it up anymore then it is now if anything load a 150hp tune and call it a day but still would like the fingers pistons as for a little more insurance knowing I can abuse it still with the 150 and won't pop a piston obviously as long as it's got a good tuner and keep the egts down.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Stop looking at the Gm bulletins I'm not telling you you should bore it out for oil consumption. Needs the bore freshened up from having 256k miles on it with a lot of heat and cylinder pressure. Does not matter what Pistons you put in it right now at all. Your next part to go will be the crank shaft or rods. There is not insurance when just slapping it back with what you think is the issue. While apart fix it right to save later or just replace with a replacement piston and run it and save and keep a roof above your family's head and food on the table.
__________________
Name to come
2013 GMC Denali HD 2500 ccsb,100%stock,spray liner,B&W
Sold but not forgotten
Devil Girl 2006 2500HD LBZ Ex-Cab 4x4
11.53 @ 116.92 1.66 60's


Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 04-22-2017, 05:42 PM
WolfLLY's Avatar
WolfLLY WolfLLY is offline
Making Chips
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: AL
Posts: 4,015

Default

X2^ if you're not building the motor, just replace the busted piston. Even if your cylinder wall is scuffed beyond what a light bone will remove, you will never notice the difference. Like I said, I'm all for building one Right, but from the sounds of it, you'd be better off just replacing the shot piston and slapping it back together.
__________________
2016 Denali
Limitless Diesel converter
HSP egr delete and IC piping

LMM CCSB LTZ Z71. SoCal motor, s485/68r, 1078 Limitless converter, S&S 200s.


LB7 ECSB 4X4

Thanks to Evan@Limitless and Mark@Danville Performance
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 04-22-2017, 06:25 PM
Dvierra86 Dvierra86 is offline
Gearhead
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 59

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfLLY View Post
X2^ if you're not building the motor, just replace the busted piston. Even if your cylinder wall is scuffed beyond what a light bone will remove, you will never notice the difference. Like I said, I'm all for building one Right, but from the sounds of it, you'd be better off just replacing the shot piston and slapping it back together.


I just can't see myself putting that much labor into the engine and putting a stock piston back in it to break another one. I would love to do aftermarket rods but then the crank is weak and thenneed a more crank and by then your talking 6-8k I'm parts. I'm basically getting the fingers pistons for about 800$ so can't really say no to that deal. And I just did new c headgaskets and arp studs about 4500 miles ago and cylinders all looked like IMG_0748.JPG


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 04-22-2017, 06:35 PM
kubitza123's Avatar
kubitza123 kubitza123 is offline
Gearhead
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Texas
Posts: 49
Default

Just buy LB7, I'd rather buy injectors than build engines . LBZ not sure why everyone praises them , they aren't special.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 04-22-2017, 07:20 PM
TheBac's Avatar
TheBac TheBac is offline
Why do I keep doing this?


 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mid Michigan
Posts: 10,030

Default

I would trade my LB7 for an LBZ in an instant...........and I love my LB7. The O/P's problem could be easily remedied for under $2000. I would take that before 2 sets of injectors.



















Just dont tell BBT I said that. She might get angry with me.
__________________
Tom
"BBT" 2003 GMC CC/SB 4x4
12.14@111.15

"Flyin' Brick" 1999 Chevy 1500 RC/SB 2wd -- in progress
2003 Olds Aurora -- my DD

Two wrongs dont make a right, but three rights do make a left.

Reality is a matter of perspective.

This forum isn't for the weak of heart.....or wallet.

From mufflerguy on yb,
"Lets build a race car they said. Itll be fun they said. I don't know who "they" are.........but they need a good punch in the face!"
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vB.Sponsors